Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Balancing Act Tube Rolling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Balancing Act Tube Rolling - Page 18

post #256 of 323

BTW I bought those 6F8G Tung Sols as well

post #257 of 323
Thread Starter 

That's a very nice collection.

Let us know how the 6F8G compare to your other drivers.

 

BTW I can't see/say from the ebay listing, but it looks very nice.

post #258 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosgr63 View Post

That's a very nice collection.
Let us know how the 6F8G compare to your other drivers.

BTW I can't see/say from the ebay listing, but it looks very nice.

Thanks.
I am expecting these tubes to arrive within the next couple weeks:

Marconi B65
6F8G Raytheon
Sylvania Bad Boys
6F8G Ken-Rad,
Brimar ECC35
6F8G Sylvania
Mullard B65
6F8G RCA

I will try to post some impressions once I have them all.
Tube rolling is fun & EXPENSIVE cool.gif
post #259 of 323

I just received a Nation Union 6F8G and a brand new, made in the USA, 6F8G to 6SN7 adapter. It's not really my thing, so if anyone has been looking for a NU + adapter send me a PM.


Edited by GMF2010 - 8/29/12 at 10:42pm
post #260 of 323

Trying to find out some information on the 45 tubes.  EC is coming out with a new amp I hear.  The EC 445.  It uses 4 45 tubes.  How does these tubes sound with the HD800?  Are there many variations of this tube?  How does this tube compare to the 2A3 and the tubes used in the BA?

post #261 of 323
Quote:

Originally Posted by preproman View Post


 How does these tubes sound with the HD800?  

 

Gud.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Are there many variations of this tube?

 

 

Yes. Many. New and old.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

How does this tube compare to the 2A3 and the tubes used in the BA?

 

 

It's a 45, slightly different. At the risk of generalizing, less power but cleaner. Very similar to 2A3. Possibly less heft in bass, but not an issue in a headphone application and probably not an issue when doubled up in parallel. Best to buy it and try it.

 

Generally best not to stress out about tubes before actually owning the unit. Either you like the EC sound or not.


Edited by purrin - 1/28/13 at 9:37am
post #262 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

 

Gud.

 

 

 

Yes. Many. New and old.

 

 

 

It's a 45, slightly different. At the risk of generalizing, less power but cleaner. Very similar to 2A3. Possibly less heft in bass, but not an issue in a headphone application and probably not an issue with doubled up in parallel. Best to buy it and try it.

 

Generally best not to stress out about tubes before actually owning the unit. Either you like the EC sound or not.

 

 

Thanks for the info.   I guess I am stressed about finding the best match for the HD800s.   Just would like to know from those who know - know what I mean.biggrin.gif

post #263 of 323

With EC 2A3 amp, EML45s works well with T1, so probably with HD800 too. In term of EML45s, it has excellent extention, detail, dynamic, bass and speed providing your driver tube can provide the goods then it will delivers. Bass is tight & powerful enough (again driver tube dependent); it managed to drive my T1 to sound like a full range phone thanks to good coverage of mid/deep bass whereas with my previous SS amp it sounded more like a mid bass centric type sound, a bit like a grado. Sounds has good presence as it sounded more like pre/power combo than integrated amp with its magnification & sense of power. With the right tube I get better speed & dynamic (say with guitar) than my old rudistor RPX33. In term of presentation, it will depend on the driver tube & rectifier tube (for EC 2A3) you use; you can get valve like airy/ spacy sound to SS like presentation depending on the tubes combo. 


Edited by SleepyOne - 1/28/13 at 8:42am
post #264 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Thanks for the info.   I guess I am stressed about finding the best match for the HD800s.   Just would like to know from those who know - know what I mean.biggrin.gif

 

The other thing is that there is no official new amp called the 445 coming out. The 445 is a one-off Craig built for himself from a custom top which was too thin for the "Leviathan"'s Tango transformers (http://www.head-fi.org/t/407413/eddie-current-balancing-act/1125#post_9024229). It uses cheaper Lundahls (I think) and does not use interstage SE transformers. He's trying to get it ready for the NorCal meet and will gauge interest.

 

Using my crystal ball, I'm betting the Leviathan will be built instead of the 445, and only in a very limited quantity. The reason is that there will be a new EC 2A3 (I'm withholding details, but they are probably well known by now) at the NorCal meet and I pretty much know almost half a dozen people who would be willing to put serious money / deposits on the Leviathan (a balls to wall design.)

 

Craig tends to build a lot of stuff, but I personally tend to be silent it. Most stuff he mentions will never see the light of day. Otherwise, there would be an Eddie Current solid-state amp using monolithic devices, two Eddie Current hybrid amps, one el-cheap Eddie Current entry level amp, an Eddie Current SE electrostatic amp, and a special edition Eddie Current S7, and an Eddie Current railgun.


Edited by purrin - 1/28/13 at 1:59pm
post #265 of 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

The other thing is that there is no official new amp called the 445 coming out. The 445 is a one-off Craig built for himself from a custom top which was too thin for the "Leviathan"'s Tango transformers (http://www.head-fi.org/t/407413/eddie-current-balancing-act/1125#post_9024229). It uses cheaper Lundahls (I think) and does not use interstage SE transformers. He's trying to get it ready for the NorCal meet and will gauge interest.

 

Using my crystal ball, I'm betting the Leviathan will be built instead of the 445, and only in a very limited quantity. The reason is that there will be a new EC 2A3 (I'm withholding details, but they are probably well known by now) at the NorCal meet and I pretty much know almost half a dozen people who would be willing to put serious money / deposits on the Leviathan (a balls to wall design.)

 

Craig tends to build a lot of stuff, but I personally tend to be silent it. Most stuff he mentions will never see the light of day. Otherwise, there would be an Eddie Current solid-state amp using monolithic devices, two Eddie Current hybrid amps, one el-cheap Eddie Current entry level amp, an Eddie Current SE electrostatic amp, and a special edition Eddie Current S7, and an Eddie Current railgun.

 

 

All True..  I had a few conversations with C about the 45, but like you said the amp is not official.  And may not come to pass.  Have to wait until after the meet.  I might as well go with the EC 2A3.

 

The LEvi is a SS amp correct?

post #266 of 323

The Leviathan is the big boy version of the 445. Don't remember what driver tube, but parallel 2A3 (and I assume 45 would also work with mods) on the outputs, high frequency heater, Tango output and interstage transformers.

 

EC doing SS would be like Anaxlmort going vegan.

post #267 of 323

Quote:

Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

...Eddie Current railgun.

 

Will the EC Railgun use Tube Rectification?

Reply
post #268 of 323

post #269 of 323

Could someone describe the difference in sound between the 300b and Px4 in the BA?

I just picked up a used unit and love it.  My point of reference right now is the amp with an EH 300b.

 

post #270 of 323

The EH300B is very very underrated. Don't think low price = low quality. In comparison the KR PX4 on the BA has more clarity and harmonic richness. Bass is more explosive. Treble has a sharper leading edge.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Balancing Act Tube Rolling