Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Head Direct REO vs Etymotic ER-6i
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Direct REO vs Etymotic ER-6i

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

The title says it all.

I need enough isolation to use on a bus (these are a compromise for me - instead of earbuds AND NC headphones, it get IEMs), but SQ is also a priority. After searching around, it is down to these two IEMs, but I can't quite decide.

 

I like a detailed, middy sound usually, and I don't like overpowering bass. I'm using a 6th gen iPod classic if that makes a difference.

 

Ideally these would be durable enough to carry around in my pocket all day.

post #2 of 17

Well, I think I can give you more information than you want to know. :)

 

I started out with the Er6i a couple of years ago, and moved to the re0. The re0 is clearly a much better piece, in all aspects, it's not even close. Since you mention a preference for midrange detail, you will want to avoid the er6i, since those can be a bit bright.

 

But.....the wiring on the re0's can be fragile. Mine has just recently started coming loose inside the plug. For something sturdy that you can carry around in your pocket, I suggest you look at the Monster line. I understand those are built very sturdy. I'm considering a pair of their Pro Coppers for use on the motorbike since that's a really hard environment on cables.

 

Whichever one you go with, make sure you try whatever variety of tips you can. On a set like the re0's, they make not only a big difference in blocking out outside noise, but also can hurt the sound quality, simple because everyone's ears are different. For me, the stock black tips on the re0's work best, even though they let in more outside noise, while the double flange tips they come with really muddy up the bass.

 

Good luck!

Dan

post #3 of 17
Here is another option: hf5. I really hope they'd fit in your pricing scheme, as IMO they are great IEMs. I prefer them over the RE0, because they have a thicker sound and they are very accurate. They have superb isolation, I dare to say unbeatable, but on the downside have a smaller soundstage.
I haven't listened to the er6, but the hf5 is the unmatched driver version of the er4 which is excellent for the price.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

Blorton: Thanks for the info - with the right tips, do you think the isolation would be enough for riding on a bus? (With the RE0)

 

I'm hesitant to go with monster because I've always heard their products are overpriced, and also because of how the treat local business's/anyone who they think is violating their copyright.

 

sebhuber: The hf5 are a little out of my pricing scheme, which is $80, tops.

 

I'm leaning towards the er6i, if only because my Grado sr60's are perfect (what a great headphone for so cheap) for use around the house. On the bus SQ doesn't matter quite as much as ability to actually hear what I'm playing. 

 

I'm eager to hear other people's opinions though - keep those posts coming!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorton View Post

Well, I think I can give you more information than you want to know. :)

 

I started out with the Er6i a couple of years ago, and moved to the re0. The re0 is clearly a much better piece, in all aspects, it's not even close. Since you mention a preference for midrange detail, you will want to avoid the er6i, since those can be a bit bright.

 

But.....the wiring on the re0's can be fragile. Mine has just recently started coming loose inside the plug. For something sturdy that you can carry around in your pocket, I suggest you look at the Monster line. I understand those are built very sturdy. I'm considering a pair of their Pro Coppers for use on the motorbike since that's a really hard environment on cables.

 

Whichever one you go with, make sure you try whatever variety of tips you can. On a set like the re0's, they make not only a big difference in blocking out outside noise, but also can hurt the sound quality, simple because everyone's ears are different. For me, the stock black tips on the re0's work best, even though they let in more outside noise, while the double flange tips they come with really muddy up the bass.

 

Good luck!

Dan





Quote:
Originally Posted by sebhuber View Post

Here is another option: hf5. I really hope they'd fit in your pricing scheme, as IMO they are great IEMs. I prefer them over the RE0, because they have a thicker sound and they are very accurate. They have superb isolation, I dare to say unbeatable, but on the downside have a smaller soundstage.
I haven't listened to the er6, but the hf5 is the unmatched driver version of the er4 which is excellent for the price.
post #5 of 17

Lol - I've used my re0's while riding a loud motorcycle. They block out noise just fine up to about 70mph. :) Riding inside a bus won't even be a challenge.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

I'm buying the Re0 tonight. I'm really looking forward to getting them - do you know how long Head Direct usually takes to ship?

 

I might post a review when I get them, as there weren't really that many when I was looking around on head-fi.

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorton View Post



Lol - I've used my re0's while riding a loud motorcycle. They block out noise just fine up to about 70mph. :) Riding inside a bus won't even be a challenge.









LOL @ the avatar, I agree though, the isolation is okish. Not on par with etymotic though.
Edited by sebhuber - 6/13/10 at 6:55pm
post #8 of 17

You made a good choice imho

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405947/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-and-er-4p

head direct usually ships in 2-3 days, but check your email cause they might need something and delayed response will delay shipping.

 

Some people have reported breaking at the housing, Head-Direct claims a failure rate of 2% i think. Personally I've head them for 4 months now and they are fine, normal everyday use, moving on the road and on bus. Blorton maybe had the previous version.

post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 

2% failure seems really good, just from looking through reviews of IEMs on amazon. I hope these will last.

 

Does anyone know where Head Direct ships from? It isn't from China, is it?

post #10 of 17

I believe its new york.

post #11 of 17

new york if within US and they have it stocked there. China everywhere else

post #12 of 17

Just to hitch on this thread, do you guys think the wiring is more fragile on the er6i than the re0? how does the wiring on the er6i compare to the mc2?

post #13 of 17

I think isolation with the RE0s depends on the tips.  I've tried the bi-flange (that come with) and the isolation is only so-so compared with the bi-flange on the ER6 (which I'm assuming are the same as the ER6i). Decent, but I can still hear people on their cell phones on the train.

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton

 

But.....the wiring on the re0's can be fragile. Mine has just recently started coming loose inside the plug. For something sturdy that you can carry around in your pocket, I suggest you look at the Monster line. I understand those are built very sturdy. I'm considering a pair of their Pro Coppers for use on the motorbike since that's a really hard environment on cables.

 


Spot on. The only reason I regret buying RE0 slightly.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by sebhuber View Post

Here is another option: hf5. I really hope they'd fit in your pricing scheme, as IMO they are great IEMs. I prefer them over the RE0, because they have a thicker sound and they are very accurate. They have superb isolation, I dare to say unbeatable, but on the downside have a smaller soundstage.
I haven't listened to the er6, but the hf5 is the unmatched driver version of the er4 which is excellent for the price.

Wow, you guys are good! hf5 is my next purchase.

 


Edited by philipt42 - 8/20/11 at 10:07pm
post #15 of 17

You would have regret buying ER6i slightly as well because the cable tends to harden up after a year and break with a bit of stress.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Head Direct REO vs Etymotic ER-6i