Glad they arrived quickly, Alex. Looking forward to your impressions!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 11/26/13 at 3:36pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HiFiMAN: Here to stay or FOTM? Last post on 9/8/13 at 11:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones at HeadAmp - Available now (Audeze, Stax, HIFIMAN HE-400 in stock) Last post on 7/3/13 at 12:59pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof Last post on 11/10/13 at 2:02pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:11 pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
HE-6 Loaner Program - Page 32post #466 of 9038/30/10 at 12:53pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #467 of 9038/30/10 at 7:48pmpost #468 of 9038/30/10 at 7:58pmpost #469 of 9038/30/10 at 8:00pmpost #470 of 9038/30/10 at 8:11pmpost #471 of 9038/30/10 at 8:28pm
Alright, so some very preliminary impressions after having these on for just about an hour of so.
The first thing that comes to mind when comparison to the LCD-2 is the amount of "air" that surrounds everything, but without being distant or uninvolving. The soundstage isn't necessarily much larger than the LCD-2 but everything has a very pinpoint precision to it and good breathing room between instruments and voices. For me the HD800s had a large soundstage, but also lacked the intimacy of the LCD-2...and I found them uninvolving on many types of music. In my opinion, the LCD-2 can sound a little bit dense at times, but the HE-6 seems to strike a pretty good balance between the two.
As others mentioned, these are definitely brighter headphones than the LCD-2 which can get a little fatiguing at higher volumes (like the HE-5). Bass packs in quite a punch compared to the HD800 but still doesn't match the LCD-2 in my opinion. What makes the LCD-2 special in midrange and bass is the texture and decay that notes have (you almost feel them inside you)...which is a little lacking on the HE-6. I would put the bass decay and depth of the the LCD-2 on par with the O2 (well amped), and the HE-6 below that, followed by HD800s.
Although at first I wasn't super impressed, these are starting to grow on me for their strengths (airiness, seemingly great detail retrieval (maybe due to more treble?), and very pleasing sound signature. In other words, they are pretty easy headphones to like (with minor quibble of treble at times) and don't have a very strong "house sound" of sorts.
On a side note, my 6F8G Tung Sol tubes didn't do so well with the HE-6 and started getting interference at higher volumes, causing clipping of bass. I had to switch to my Tung Sol 6SN7GT and the amp delivered in spades, even at uncomfortable listening conditions (btw the WA5 has 10 Watts per channel).
More to come soon....
Edited by monsieurguzel - 8/30/10 at 8:31pmpost #472 of 9038/31/10 at 12:55ampost #473 of 9038/31/10 at 1:23ampost #474 of 9038/31/10 at 4:46ampost #475 of 9038/31/10 at 6:07ampost #476 of 9038/31/10 at 6:29ampost #477 of 9038/31/10 at 9:57am
unfortunately I don't have the HE-5 at hand anymore since I wasn't a huge fan of their sonic balance. The HE-6 are a lot more natural sound and less forward than what I remember of the HE-5. I have never tried the HE-5LE and have no interest in them.
As for the amp I used, it is a Woo Audio 5 through the speaker output and the K1000 output. Oddly enough, there is quite a difference in the headphone sound between the speaker out and the K1000 output and am not sure just yet which I preffer.post #478 of 9038/31/10 at 10:03amQuote:
Well I've never heard the HE-5LE, and I don't know if monsieurguzel has either. I own the HE-5 and it sounds like monsieurguzel does as well, so that is the reference I am asking about.post #479 of 9039/2/10 at 5:22pmQuote:
I spent some time with the HE-6 and the WA5 SE, and was vey pleased with the results. They had great synergy.
I think that if I was in the market right now, and had $5K, I would definitely get a WA5. If not, then a Cary 300SEI.
It's just that with a nice 5.1 speaker set-up, anything with a pre-amp and speaker taps would be a large waste of
money on non-essential components. It the major reason that I didn't but the A-10 or the WES (multiple inputs).
post #480 of 9039/3/10 at 10:36am
I'm very honored to be included in this loaner program. I will treat your headphones with the up most respect.. & make sure they are packaged extremely well when I send to the next member. Thank you in trusting us.. It's companies like yours that headfi MUST support.. & trust in people you don't know doesn't come easy. I, for one, will never betray that trust.. Again.. Thank you for including me.. I'm eating crow cause I never expected to be on the list.. I tried many times before with other programs but was always ignored. Thank you for accepting me into this program. I will write a review & give impressions.Quote:Originally Posted by Nankai
We are proud to announce our new, top of the line HE-6 Orthodynamic headphone.
Head-Direct would like to allow some qualified members to be able to participate in our demo for our new flagship orthodynamic headphone.
This headphone will come in a housing similar to the HE-5LE but has leather covered earpieces (leather cover and head band will be different color from black HE-5LE) and a superior diaphragm and coating than our previous models. The HE-6 was innovated to try to bring you the finest sound reproduction possible from an Orthodynamic headphone.
Two headphones will be included in this program. In your request, please include the amp that you will be using, and the other headphones that you have in your collection.
We would like to allow the first 20 eligible people that request a trial for each headphone, and here are the following parameters:
* You can keep the headphone for up to one week
* You must agree to ship the headphone and all of it’s accessories to the next person that we give you that is on the waiting list including using insurance and signature confirmation
* We ask that you include a small review of the headphones in this headphone loaner thread
* We ask that only people with experience with higher end or Orthodynamic headphones apply
* The HE-6 needs ample power to exhibit all of its attributes, so we ask that you have an amp that can be used via the speaker outputs, between 5 and 30 w.p.c. (We will be sending you a cable with tinned terminations on it in order to use a solid state or tubed amps’ speaker outputs)
* We ask that you treat the HE-6 as if it was your own and take great care in handling and storing the headphone
* We ask that you have fun and enjoy the loan and share your experience with friends and other Head-Fiers.
* We reserve the right to deny requests that we feel don’t have the proper amp or experience using high end headphones
Thank You !!!!
Fang @ Head-Direct
To all head-fiers who want to join the loaner program:
Please edit your post and let us know whether you are in the east or the west, or in Europe. We will use the Mississippi River to divide the country into east and west. I will post loaner ID list then. We will do shipping later this week. Thanks a lot.
Updated on July 08Now I am posting the list in US. Our distributor, SievekingSound, will take care of Euro Loaner program. Headfiers in Europe can PM him. I will arrange China (include HK) and Australia loaner program later in the summer.East:1-Immtbiker NY2-baka1969 NJ3-El_Doug NJ4-dannyb NC5-Peli_Kan NC6-warp08 VA7-jageur272 VA8-Frank I NJ9-Natural Music NJ10-mrarroyo FL11-sambones FL12-ishcabible IL13-digger945 IN14-fishski13 MNWest:1-HeadphoneAddict CO2-Edwood CA3-Skylab IL4-monsieurguzel CA5-mckinectic CA6- rhythmdevils CA7-kool bubba ice CA8-priyajeet CA9-grokit PNW10-kwkarth OR11-maxvia OK12-momomo6789 TX13-dBel84 WI14-MikeLa AZ
- HE-6 Loaner Program
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The Basshead Club 2 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 48 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 55 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › meridian explorer (later, revised unit) 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 with Xonar DX 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi 2013 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe