New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-6 Loaner Program - Page 28

post #406 of 903

Maybe you could simply take the last position, that way you'll have a lot of time.

post #407 of 903

Works for me

post #408 of 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  
" Rob Fang put this together at the reuest of Baka1969. Ross pushed him in the direction of putting this program together and I applaud Ross for getting Fang interested in this program. Maybe good idea for Schiitt to do same with the Vahalla amp."


It started out in mid May when I had received the HE-5LE that was recently upgraded from the HE-5 and released. Then to find out the HE-6 was just announced. I was well within the 30 day trial of the HE-LE so I emailed Fang about getting a sample to compare the two and the HE-6 Loaner program kind of snowballed from there.


I had fun during the week I had with them. They're terrific headphones. If I had room in my stable for two top-tier headphones, the HE-6 would be in it. The challenge would be pairing it with the perfect amp. I know the Rockhopper might be capable of driving them, I just don't know if it would bring out their full potential. It would be nice to have only one stellar amp to use with both the HD800 and the HE-6. One extracts the most from both.

post #409 of 903


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  
" Rob Fang put this together at the reuest of Baka1969. Ross pushed him in the direction of putting this program together and I applaud Ross for getting Fang interested in this program. Maybe good idea for Schiitt to do same with the Vahalla amp."


It started out in mid May when I had received the HE-5LE that was recently upgraded from the HE-5 and released. Then to find out the HE-6 was just announced. I was well within the 30 day trial of the HE-LE so I emailed Fang about getting a sample to compare the two and the HE-6 Loaner program kind of snowballed from there.


I had fun during the week I had with them. They're terrific headphones. If I had room in my stable for two top-tier headphones, the HE-6 would be in it. The challenge would be pairing it with the perfect amp. I know the Rockhopper might be capable of driving them, I just don't know if it would bring out their full potential. It would be nice to have only one stellar amp to use with both the HD800 and the HE-6. One extracts the most from both.


The Peachtree Nova or Decco may be the solution to power both. I have not heard the amp but it is getting rave reviews. It has both headamp,dac and speaker outputs. So I do believe their is a solution if thats the route you wanted to go. Another would be the Leben or the Mini Torri


Edited by Frank I - 8/22/10 at 6:39am
post #410 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Well, as expected you did a better job than me in describing their performance and sound.

 

Well, I don't know about THAT - your review was very thorough I thought, as always!  But thanks though  And it's good that we're getting lots if data points on these.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Rob Fang put this together at the reuest of Baka1969. Ross pushed him in the direction of putting this program together and I applaud Ross for getting Fang interested in this program. Maybe good idea for Schiitt to do same with the Vahalla amp.


Indeed, Ross, thanks for initiating this - it was really great for me to be able to take part.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

Fantastic write up Rob!  You do a great job describing something that is not about words.  Very difficult to do!  I also appreciate reading the comparisons and suggestions which gives it great context so it's useful for everyone.


Thanks, I sure appreciate it.  I really have been enjoying the HE-6, and its been great to play around with them in different configurations.  Sort of like a puzzle on what can handle them, and what can't.  Today or tomorrow I'm going to try driving them using mt RSA Stealth just from it's preamp outs, driving a T-Amp, and the HE-6 from its speaker taps.

post #411 of 903

The T amp should be interesting as there are many still be sold rather inexpensive. How many watts is the T amp and what brand. The only ones I still see around are the Dayton.

post #412 of 903

I think the original T-Amp was by a company called Sonic Impact.  You can get anywhere between 6-50 watts into 8 ohms with one and for a very low price (15 watts for $50).  6moons had a raving review about them a while back.

post #413 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jageur272 View Post

I think the original T-Amp was by a company called Sonic Impact.  You can get anywhere between 6-50 watts into 8 ohms with one and for a very low price (15 watts for $50).  6moons had a raving review about them a while back.


Sonic Impact is no longer available as part express was welling them now its the Dayton. The t amp may work with the headphone but not sure. Glad Rob is using on so we can at least get some idea if would be enough to drive them and the sound if it would be acceptable..

post #414 of 903

Mine is the Sonic Impact T-Amp from a few years back.  It was the slightly more expensive model (I think about $100), and was rated at 15W into 8 ohms.  Not sure what it will deliver into the 70 ohms of the HE-6, but we will find out!

post #415 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Mine is the Sonic Impact T-Amp from a few years back.  It was the slightly more expensive model (I think about $100), and was rated at 15W into 8 ohms.  Not sure what it will deliver into the 70 ohms of the HE-6, but we will find out!


Thae Dayton is the same and can be bought at Parts express for less than 60.00

post #416 of 903

the 12v class-T probably don't have enough swing, the 24v models ( winsome mouse, 41hz amp-4, RWA sig 30) have better chance.

 

But class-T's are expensive if you want it done right. At least as expensive as going the Beta22 route.


Edited by AudioCats - 8/22/10 at 9:43am
post #417 of 903

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats View Post

But class-T's are expensive if you want it done right. At least as expensive as going the Beta22 route.


What?  Class-T amps are just a brand name really; they're actually class D amps that use Tripath chips (which are exceptional performers for the price really).  If you want high power with low price, Class-G may be the way to go (I've seen 1000W amps for $150).

post #418 of 903

yeah, I was talking about amps using tripath chips. tripath called their stuff class-T, why can't I call it that?

 

nobody said anything about power. I was only talking about possible voltage swing.

 

post #419 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post I really have been enjoying the HE-6, and its been great to play around with them in different configurations.  Sort of like a puzzle on what can handle them, and what can't.  Today or tomorrow I'm going to try driving them using mt RSA Stealth just from it's preamp outs, driving a T-Amp, and the HE-6 from its speaker taps.


I'll have the east-coast HE-6 in hand within a few days, and as it happens I have a Sonic Impact T-Amp 2 lined up for testing as well.  Both the original and the Gen 2 SI T-Amp  work well with the K1000,  hopefully it does well here too.  I don't have the proper cable/adapter to hook them up though; as mentioned earlier, is there a good cheap source?

 

Here's a DIY which should work:

http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

 

EDIT:  Forgot about this from the OP "(We will be sending you a cable with tinned terminations on it in order to use a solid state or tubed amps’ speaker outputs)"


Edited by peli_kan - 8/22/10 at 10:22pm
post #420 of 903

The cable which you use to hook up to your amplifier speaker terminals is included with the headphones. You should have everything either tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Enjoy,

Danny

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home