Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HiFiMAN: Here to stay or FOTM? Last post on 9/8/13 at 11:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones at HeadAmp - Available now (Audeze, Stax, HIFIMAN HE-400 in stock) Last post on 7/3/13 at 12:59pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof Last post on 11/10/13 at 2:02pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:36 pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
HE-6 Loaner Program - Page 17post #241 of 9037/26/10 at 8:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 9037/27/10 at 12:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by Edwood
Western US HE-6 Loaner has arrived safely in my hands today. :)
Sound has definitely improved a bit from the already excellent sounding prototypes at CanJam. Most noticeable changes are better imaging, tighter bass and treble. Will post more as I get some quality quiet time to listen. Along with pics as well. :)
I did put over 300 hours on the HE-6, so they are fully burned in.
Well, I feel the HE-6 are more airy and transparent and open sounding, but with a little bit smaller but well focused soundstage. The HE-6 and HE-5 LE soundstage isn't too small, but it's not as large as the K1000, HD800, HE-60 or LCD-2. It's closer to the O2 Mk1 or LA7000.
The apparent detail of the HE-6 is better, while the LCD-2 and HE-5 LE have slightly less but still very good and similar levels of detail. The LCD-2 has a warmer and slightly darker flavor than the HE-6 or HE-5 LE, but slightly better depth and width of the soundstage. The LCD-2 improved a little bit with burn-in, but changes are not huge and about as much as an HD600 changes, rather than being like an Ultrasone with roller coaster changes over time. Pianos are not as drilling into my head with the LCD-2 now, but I prefer the HE-6 and HE-5 LE presentation more with those. The HE-5 LE are still more delicate and airy than the LCD-2, but the LCD-2 are not overly dark any more than the O2 Mk1 on a good amp.
I'd have to say I like all three phones, but they have different flavors and times when I would listen. As far as pairing - I liked the HE-6 on the Yamaha receiver in my bedroom the most, followed by the Jade on my eXStatA, LCD-2 on the EF-5 amp or HE-5LE on the SAC amp. The HD800 and HE-60 will still reside in my main headphone rig in the basement, driven by the ZDT and WES amps, but the O2 Mk1 and HE-6 would likely get a bit of ear time down there as well.
I'm still not done evaluating the LCD-2. It does work better with portable amps than the HE-6 and HE-5 LE or HE-5, unless I am using the RSA Protector in balanced mode, and then the LCD-2 fall behind the others. Also, the DACport which is one of my favorites sounds thin with the LCD-2, which I cannot explain. The uDAC is my favorite portable with the LCD-2.post #243 of 9037/27/10 at 1:07pm
Thanks for shedding light on the topic. How does the LCD-2 fair with your main tube amps? I saw reports of the Audez'e benefiting from good quality sources/amps.post #244 of 9037/27/10 at 1:10pm
Let's try and confine the topic in this thread to discussion (particularly questions) of the HE-6 sounds please. We can always start another comparison thread.post #245 of 9037/27/10 at 9:25pmQuote:
Good point - I'm done discussing the HE-6 vs LCD-2 comparisons here anyway.post #246 of 9037/28/10 at 9:15pmpost #247 of 9037/28/10 at 10:27pm
Describing how a headphone sounds will naturally take comparisons to other headphones. I, for one, am interested in how the he6 sounds compared to the lcd2, along with all the other high end headphones out.
Edited by Pyriel0 - 7/28/10 at 10:28pmpost #248 of 9037/28/10 at 10:32pmQuote:
Everyone is more than welcome to compare, but it is not appropriate to spend more time discussing competing headphones in this thread than discussing the HE-6 itself.
post #249 of 9037/28/10 at 10:35pmQuote:
ANY decent headphone will benefit from using good quality sources and amps.post #250 of 9037/30/10 at 6:33pm
We are at end of week three and no impressions from the people who have them now. Would be nice to start seeing some more impressions on the people who took them last week.post #251 of 9037/30/10 at 6:54pm
Originally Posted by Frank I
" We are at end of week three and no impressions from the people who have them now. Would be nice to start seeing some more impressions on the people who took them last week."
My thoughts exactlypost #252 of 9037/30/10 at 7:11pmpost #253 of 9037/30/10 at 8:00pmQuote:
Edwood got them a few days ago.post #254 of 9037/30/10 at 8:18pmpost #255 of 9037/31/10 at 8:26pm
Yup, I have the Western HE-6. Speaking of which, I see that Skylab is next on the list for the Western HE-6? Uh, isn't he in Chicago? Last I checked Chicago was in the Eastern half of the USA. ;) Not that it matters really to me, it'll just slow down a bit with the extra transit time.
I'll likely ship via FedEx ground.
- HE-6 Loaner Program
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 seconds ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 14 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 32 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › best headphone/amp combo for Classical. 1 minute ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob