New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-6 Loaner Program - Page 14

post #196 of 903

nice to know the HE6 has more ambience. How does it compare to the Jade/GES in that area?

 

Did you detect any gaininess in LCD2's voice playback? (say, with live un-plugged concert recordings)

post #197 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioCats View Post

nice to know the HE6 has more ambience. How does it compare to the Jade/GES in that area?

 

Did you detect any gaininess in LCD2's voice playback? (say, with live un-plugged concert recordings)


It's pretty close to the Jade and HE60 in that area.  I don't have the GES anymore, but an eXStatA and WES in it's place.  I have only spent a small amount of time comparing to the Jade because not many people have them to use as a point of reference.  I did more comparisons with the HE-60 and O2 Mk1.  I'd say that if you like the Jade then you will like the HE-6, but i can't think of a reason why anyone wouldn't like the HE-6 if properly amped.  

 

As I said in my main impressions posts, I prefer the HE-6/SAC amp to the HE60/HEV70 amp, although the HE60 can pull ahead on a better amp like the WES.  However, like the HD800 the HE60 can still be fatiguing in the treble at high volumes, unlike the HE-6 which don't).  The Jade do not become fatiguing with high listening levels either.  The O2 Mk1 in comparison are darker and more bass heavy than the Jade, HE60 or HE-6; so like the HE-6 and Jade, the O2 don't become fatiguing at high volumes either.

 

It's too soon for me to get into more detail about the LCD-2 sound, until I have more hours on them and have spent more time with them on more amps with more music.  Sorry.

post #198 of 903
Looking forward to your new post.
post #199 of 903

Is there a release date for the HE-6s yet?

post #200 of 903

I would love to hear the 5LE or 6's on my Atma-sphere MA-1 OTL amps.   Anyone hear them on anything of this quality and power yet?

post #201 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Fang had me keep the HE-6 an extra week to compare to a pair of LCD-2 that I had coming my way. So I should note that the LCD-2 are here and are burning in, with 7 hours on them right now.  

 

I have two "headphone" amps hooked up to the Apogee mini-DAC in my bedroom rig at the same time, the SAC KH1000 via XLR out and the EF5 via single ended output of the DAC.  The EF5 is stock.  This way I can listen to one phone on the SAC and the other on the EF5.  I selected these two amps, instead of including my WA6, because either one can drive either phone, while the WA6 can't drive the HE-6 well.  This way I can volume match the two rigs and swap between headphone quickly, without needing to unplug and plug in headphones.  Later I'll compare the HE-6 on the SAC or Yamaha amp to the LCD-2 on the WA6.

 

With the HE-6 plugged into the EF5 and LCD-2 plugged into the SAC amp, the HE-6 are more transparent, open sounding, and sparkly; while the LCD-2 sound a little darker which makes them fell less detailed.  The LCD-2 are not veiled or anything, and have good detail, but the mids and highs are a little more recessed than the HE-6, so you have to concentrate to hear the little details better.  The LCD-2 are also slightly fatiguing with pianos and trumpets on my Peter Asplund "As Knights Concur" CD.  And they clamp my head like an octopus (or boa constrictor).  

 

The LCD-2 do have an enveloping and deep soundstage, and a full, warm and weighty sound.  The HE-6 are a little more neutral sounding, while matching the LCD-2 bass but passing them up in the highs and air/ambience.  The HE-6 bring a little more delicate, nuanced and refined quality to the music.  Swapping amps makes the LCD-2 less fatiguing via the EF5, but the HE-6 benefits from the extra power of the SAC amp.  However, it's interesting that the more I listen to the HE-6 with the EF5 amp, the more I like the pairing in terms of timbre, tone and balance.  The EF5 still has decent enough power with the HE-6, and it's a little more balanced sounding and not as bright as the SAC amp (SAC is too bright with my HD800).

 

The LCD-2 do sound very good, even fresh out of the box, and if I had to choose I'd prefer the LCD-2 over most Grados (as I chose the HE-5 over my re-cabled RS-1).  But, I need to see how these open up and sound after some more burn-in, and will report back on the comparison again in a 2-3 days.  I'll have at least 70 hours on the LCD-2 by the time I have to ship the HE-6 to edwood at the end of the week.  I'd really like to get the ball rolling with all the other western USA listeners, and get the HE-6 on to the next listener soon.  Besides, I'll get my own HE-6 later, and then I can do more comparisons if needed.


You are describing the character of the SAC K1000 amp.  That's why the LCD-2s sound as they do to you at the moment.

I am looking forward to hearing the HE-6!

post #202 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post


You are describing the character of the SAC K1000 amp.  That's why the LCD-2s sound as they do to you at the moment.

 

I am looking forward to hearing the HE-6!


I agree.  Plus I did say that "Swapping amps makes the LCD-2 less fatiguing via the EF5".  And, "The EF5 still has decent enough power with the HE-6, and it's a little more balanced sounding and not as bright as the SAC amp (SAC is too bright with my HD800)".  So, yeah, I was trying to introduce the nature of the SAC amp as part of the problem with the LCD-2.  

 

The SAC amp is well suited to certain phones such as the K1000, HD600 and HE-5 LE, yet it somehow doesn't become fatiguing with the HE-6 or original HE-5 either, even though those can be considered brighter phones than others.  The SAC amp does make the HD800 or Grados more fatiguing too, even with a nice all copper aftermarket cable on the HD800.  Basically, it's a great amp for some phones, and not so great with others.  Tonight I'll be switching the RCA interconnects over to the Woo WA6 for the LCD-2, or I'll grab my input transformers and convert the Apogee XLR out to single ended so that I can use the WA6 and EF5 at the same time.

 

And almost 24 hours of burn-in is helping the LCD-2 as well.  There is still less air, ambience, transparency and openness with the LCD-2 today, but they do build a solid all-encompassing image, and have become a little more laid back as well.  So today the hard-struck piano notes don't drill into my head as pointedly as they did yesterday.  They just seemed to resonate a little in my head last night unless I turned down the volume, but then the details seemed to retreat into the background more.  I suspect the WA6 will be a better match for the LCD-2, and I'll report on that tonight or tomorrow.


Edited by HeadphoneAddict - 7/21/10 at 2:49pm
post #203 of 903

Wow, the EF5 continues to impress, I had no idea it would be able to handle the HE-6!

post #204 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Wow, the EF5 continues to impress, I had no idea it would be able to handle the HE-6!


That is pretty impressive.

post #205 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post


That is pretty impressive.


The EF5 is much better with HE-6 than it was with the K1000.  It's still not optimal for HE-6, but it's still very enjoyable at very decent volume levels, and much more useable with HE-6 than my WA6.  My normal listening is with the Apogee mini-DAC pre-amp volume at 3-4 o'clock and the EF5 at 2 o'clock (hi gain).  5 o'clock is maybe 2-3 dB louder than 2 o'clock, and I would not listen at those volumes for normal listening.  Not terribly loud, but louder than I normally listen.  With the HE-5 LE I have the EF5 volume between 10-11 o'clock.

post #206 of 903

HA,

I think I would be disappointed using the EF-5 if it wasn't optimal. I would hope at this level that getting the best match would be my only real option. When Frank I gets his turn with the HE-6 I'll have to opportunity to listen to it with his system. He'll be using his newly acquired DecWare as a preamp with his Outlaw receiver. It should give it a different spin.

I've has a few days with the HE-6 and I still feel the HD800 does everything with greater ease than the HE-6. And the more I listen the HD800 seems more control over the bass.

Before I had the HD800 the HE-5LE has the best overall bass response I'd heard from a headphone. It's well extended, textured and has the right balanced impact. The HE-6 takes that and makes it even better.

The HD800, on the other hand, to me is noticeably better overall. The HE-6 is ever so slightly fatter. Maybe it's the fact that I can't compare the HE-6 and HD800 on the same amp? Maybe the NAD C316BEE isn't a perfect match? Or maybe I just like the HD800's bass better? I can't say. But from what I've heard the HD800 did it more to my liking.

From top to bottom I've preferred the HD800. The HE-6 is easy to fall for because it is so excellent though. I just think it needs and deserves the perfect amp to make it sound it's best.

post #207 of 903



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Aaron what did you think. Were they good or better than the LCD2

 

 

 Diana Krall's

"Girl In The Other Room", was so bright it hurt. But this makes me wonder if the LCD and my Luxman P-1 are

not a good match.

Comfrimed, LCD-2 and P1-u combo is not ideal match. Quite few people said they are bright!



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

The LCD-2 do have an enveloping and deep soundstage, and a full, warm and weighty sound.  


That is good news for someone like me.
 

post #208 of 903

Great review baka.

 

I am looking forward to the collective conclusion of you, Frank and Doug from tonights testing.

 

Also, I would really appreciate you all bringing an HE-6, LCD 2 , HD 800, and an EF 5 to this Saturday's NJ meet.

I will be bringing a integrated speaker amp that should be useful to drive them.

post #209 of 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMusic  
" Great review baka.
I am looking forward to the collective conclusion of you, Frank and Doug from tonights testing.
Also, I would really appreciate you all bringing an HE-6, LCD 2 , HD 800, and an EF 5 to this Saturday's NJ meet. I will be bringing a integrated speaker amp that should be useful to drive them."

Unfortunately Frank wasn't able to make it today. But Doug spent some time with the HE-5LE, HE-6 and the HD800. I'll let Doug tell you himself everything he thought but I will say him and I feel the same way. I prefer the HD800.

I'll bring the HE-5LE, HE-6, the HD800 and the NAD amp with me. Neither of us have the LCD-2 but Frank has the T1 and D7000 he's bringing. What amp do you have?

post #210 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

HA,

I think I would be disappointed using the EF-5 if it wasn't optimal. I would hope at this level that getting the best match would be my only real option. When Frank I gets his turn with the HE-6 I'll have to opportunity to listen to it with his system. He'll be using his newly acquired DecWare as a preamp with his Outlaw receiver. It should give it a different spin.

I've has a few days with the HE-6 and I still feel the HD800 does everything with greater ease than the HE-6. And the more I listen the HD800 seems more control over the bass.

Before I had the HD800 the HE-5LE has the best overall bass response I'd heard from a headphone. It's well extended, textured and has the right balanced impact. The HE-6 takes that and makes it even better.

The HD800, on the other hand, to me is noticeably better overall. The HE-6 is ever so slightly fatter. Maybe it's the fact that I can't compare the HE-6 and HD800 on the same amp? Maybe the NAD C316BEE isn't a perfect match? Or maybe I just like the HD800's bass better? I can't say. But from what I've heard the HD800 did it more to my liking.

From top to bottom I've preferred the HD800. The HE-6 is easy to fall for because it is so excellent though. I just think it needs and deserves the perfect amp to make it sound it's best.


Yes, in my big impressions collection I said the EF5 is not optimal.  It would only be a stop-gap till buying a nice speaker amp.  The Yamaha 55 watt AV Receiver is miles ahead of the EF5 in performance with the HE-6, but the EF5 offers a nice laid back and enjoyable sound with the HE-6 at normal volume levels.  

 

So, I would not recommend buying an EF5 just for the HE-6, when that $400 could be spent buying a nice speaker amp to drive them.   Same with the Qinpu A-3, Nuforce HDP, or Travagans Red which can also drive the HE-6 to reasonable volume levels but not tap their true potential.  I just happen to have them around to test with the HE-6.  The SAC amp and ZDT were my best "headphone" amps with the HE-6, but they are not as effortless and dynamic as when using the 55 watt Yamaha.  I do whole heartedly recommend the EF5 for the HE-5 and HE-5 LE.

 

Like I said, if I could get the ZDT's sound quality with the Yamaha's power and dynamics it would be perfect.  If I get the HE-6 for myself, I think I might see an RWA 30.2, Firstwatt F1, Beta 22 or something similar in my future.  I don't see the HE-6 replacing my HD800 or HE-60 headphones, but rather serving as a complement to them.  But, with a better speaker amp that certainly could change.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home