Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › I gave myself an electric shock today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I gave myself an electric shock today.

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Not having much else to do this morning i decided to connect up my new linestage on my dac and swap out the spst switch for a double pole one. It was a fairly simple job and I really should have been paying attention, however, when I was putting it back together I forgot about the heatshrink on the new switch and shocked myself on the terminals.  I took it as a clue that I shouldn't have been talking while sorting out mains voltages. I have never shocked myself before with that voltage building a variety of projects and came as quite a surprise.

 

So, anyone else out there who reads this, take it as a reminder that shocks from mains electricity are dangerous and hurt like hell! Take precautions people! I was foolish enough to be doing two things at once and it could have been far worse.

 

Safe working people!

post #2 of 20

hehe yeah, I've quickly given up the idea of assembling my own PSU and playing around w/ live 230V [:nham]

post #3 of 20

I normally unplug things when Im putting them together or taking them apart. Its worked well so far.

post #4 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

I normally unplug things when Im putting them together or taking them apart. Its worked well so far.


It's probably bad that of the few times that I've shocked myself, it's generally when I'm unplugging something .

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

I normally unplug things when Im putting them together or taking them apart. Its worked well so far.


Yeah, I should've done that instead of talking, now i've got two little blisters to remind me...

 

sign_withstupid.gif

post #6 of 20

Even when unplugged, beware of other things like capacitors, especially big electrolytics.  In a past life when I worked for Kodak, I'd occasionally get a nasty jolt from the flash cell's main capacitor when taking apart cameras.  The guys in the model shop made me a little discharging tool wired up to some resistors and LED's.  They named it the "Swearing Stopper".  

 

-Ed

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post

Even when unplugged, beware of other things like capacitors, especially big electrolytics.  In a past life when I worked for Kodak, I'd occasionally get a nasty jolt from the flash cell's main capacitor when taking apart cameras.  The guys in the model shop made me a little discharging tool wired up to some resistors and LED's.  They named it the "Swearing Stopper".  

 

-Ed

 

I was working on a TV that had been unplugged for a LONG time.  I got a minor shock when I touched something....  I think it was a cap.
 

post #8 of 20

I've shocked myself a few times doing difrent dumb things like testing my ps2 when it was in my hand (just the mobo) Was pretty shocking!

post #9 of 20

WAR STORIES!  I know of a very educated electrical engineer who yrs ago was working on a tube amp and BAM! Woke up on the basement floor hours later from a nasty shock, He never worked on or used TUBE AUDIO PRODUCTS AGAIN.......OH! This guy is a very well known designer of crossover gear/ measuring devices.......I'll keep his name private...........On the other hand, thank god the most I've done is Burn my forearm on one of my western electric 300b tubes while setting the bias.....BE SAFE with Caps and always unplug your stuff..........

post #10 of 20

When I was about 12, I spilled a whole cup of coffee on a power board. First reaction was to unplug everything. Got a massive shock up my arm which proceeded to go numb for a few hours. Was too scared to tell my parents at the time. Thankfully, no lasting damage. Good times

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseDodds View Post

When I was about 12, I spilled a whole cup of coffee on a power board. First reaction was to unplug everything. Got a massive shock up my arm which proceeded to go numb for a few hours. Was too scared to tell my parents at the time. Thankfully, no lasting damage. Good times


The problem with this story is why are you drinking coffe at 12.

post #12 of 20

I have never got a jolt from 230V. Highest I have got is about 20V and that can be barely felt.

 

I haven't done my own power supply yet because I am afraid of transformers.

post #13 of 20

I got several shocks from 120V...nothing actually ,my hands are somewhat dry and I barely felt it.220V was stronger,but no damage as well

post #14 of 20

I put a 9V battery on my tongue, and have discharged various caps on my tongue, does that count? 

 

I did genuinely shock myself on a live IEC inlet when building my Jaycar, 230V. Really lucky tbh, only jolted a bit and didn't burn or cause any other nasty effects. I'll be a LOT more careful in future, ensuring to always turn off the power when working on or near live components. Was really silly and complacent of me.

post #15 of 20

Let's see...in addition to the usual 120 volt shock I have been on the hot end

of a tesla coil, lawn mower spark plug and backlight inverter...

I'm still still no probbbbblem here plsttttt!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › I gave myself an electric shock today.