I must emphasize bass. I often use the EQ to raise the bass, maxing out the 32Hz and bumping the 64Hz very high as well. Is that bad for headphones? I really like the bass, but I rather not break anything.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/21/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade from ATH-ES7 - need help! Last post on 6/26/11 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) Last post on Yesterday at 8:23 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Headphones that are = or better then ES7 Last post on 5/4/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend some portable headphones <$250 with my criteria? Last post on 9/2/10 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
Hi my name is Andrew Reddog Jones, I have been into this fantastic hobby for almost two years. I mostly take care of my mother and sometimes fix vcrs. Today I plan on doing a review oh HIFIMAN's...
Suprisingly, this cheap in ear jlab sounded good enough for me to come here and get into better sound.
Too much bass bad for headphones?post #1 of 356/10/10 at 3:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 356/10/10 at 3:11ampost #3 of 356/10/10 at 2:19pmpost #4 of 356/10/10 at 2:27pm
I think it varies by headphone. Some headphones respond very well to emphasized bass, like the M50, XB700, and ES7. Others don't. The AD700 (being bass anemic), didn't take too kindly to emphasized bass. It can take SOME, but it starts getting distorted after raising it more than it can hold. The K701 is bass shy, but responds a lot better than the Ad700 to emphasized bass.
I think it's safe to say that headphones with good bass can take a good bump. I also think it works better on closed headphones compared to open headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/10/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 356/10/10 at 2:59pm
Well I've had my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro at +19.5 on 62Hz for probably 3 years or more now and they haven't broke on me yet. So at least some headphones can whitstand huge bass emphasize at least. Like Mad Lust Envy pointed out I also think already bass heavy closed headphones probably take the bass boost better cuz they were designed to output a lot of bass. But let's not forget the most basic thing, ie. volume. Usually speakers can whitstand a very high (painful) volume of a higher frequency without a prob but if you'd let it play a bass heavy song at same volume it could easily break in matter of secs. This is why I usually avoid listen to my trance music at high volumes but listening to some good ballads or rock or video game music for example I usually up the volume considerably. Besides being worried about the headphones breaking I'm also getting worried about my hearing, I don't think listening to "earshaking" bass is that healthy in the long run at high volumes and neither do I enjoy it. :p
OTH I've thought the speakers have broke on me a couple of times due to slight "rattle" sometimes but it turned out to be a vibrating piece of hair. ><
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/10/10 at 3:37pmpost #6 of 356/10/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
haha thanks guys.
I'm currently using ATH-A700, and I really think even without changing anything, the bass is plentiful. It's just that sometimes I want a short burst of bass (it's a personal thing).
lol @ sinegen 0-100; it's not that bad (that actually hurts)post #7 of 356/10/10 at 4:23pmQuote:
You should be happy of having such amont of bass, My cans (D2000) have enough bass and i've never had any problems.
If you are not happy with them, look for another set of cans.post #8 of 356/10/10 at 4:27pmpost #9 of 356/10/10 at 6:37pmpost #10 of 356/10/10 at 6:50pmpost #11 of 356/10/10 at 8:47pmThread Starterpost #12 of 356/10/10 at 8:50pmpost #13 of 356/10/10 at 9:05pmQuote:
Uh-huh. I don't know about damage, why stick with cans that have the wrong signature in the first place?post #14 of 356/10/10 at 11:28pmThread StarterQuote:
As for the Sony XB700, I gotta say thats some fine-looking can.post #15 of 356/11/10 at 12:03amQuote:
They are VERY well built as well. Though the pads might look a little goofy, as they are HUUUUUUUUGE, like monster truck tires on your head, lol. Really soft tires.
- Too much bass bad for headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3 28 seconds ago
- › Best universal IEM 2015 42 seconds ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Ibasso Oriolus Hybrid iem 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - The Shard Event 3 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi! 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2