I must emphasize bass. I often use the EQ to raise the bass, maxing out the 32Hz and bumping the 64Hz very high as well. Is that bad for headphones? I really like the bass, but I rather not break anything.
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/21/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones that are = or better then ES7 Last post on 5/4/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend some portable headphones <$250 with my criteria? Last post on 9/2/10 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- k701 sound wierd at 100hr mark Last post on 1/18/12 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- More comfortable, higher-end version of the HD 202 for around $100 Last post on 10/20/11 at 7:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
880s are part of the classic trio , 6XX-7XX and of course the 880s , I have all those headphones , my all time favourite might be the 650s but I have tons and tons of respect for the...
T-PEOS H-100II Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/726296/t-peos-h-100ii-review-by-mark2410 Thanks to T-PEOS for the sample. Brief: Crazy cheap detail monsters,...
My privileged Yulong adventure started several years ago with the highly regarded D100. At the time I owned the $2500usd Antelope zodiac+ so it really was just a bit of fun to see what all the hype...
Review to come when i have some time. Bottom line is, if you can pick these up on sale, they are a good buy for what they are. They are fairly comfortable, have ample bass which sadly lacks a...
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
Too much bass bad for headphones?post #1 of 356/10/10 at 3:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 356/10/10 at 3:11ampost #3 of 356/10/10 at 2:19pmpost #4 of 356/10/10 at 2:27pm
I think it varies by headphone. Some headphones respond very well to emphasized bass, like the M50, XB700, and ES7. Others don't. The AD700 (being bass anemic), didn't take too kindly to emphasized bass. It can take SOME, but it starts getting distorted after raising it more than it can hold. The K701 is bass shy, but responds a lot better than the Ad700 to emphasized bass.
I think it's safe to say that headphones with good bass can take a good bump. I also think it works better on closed headphones compared to open headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/10/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 356/10/10 at 2:59pm
Well I've had my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro at +19.5 on 62Hz for probably 3 years or more now and they haven't broke on me yet. So at least some headphones can whitstand huge bass emphasize at least. Like Mad Lust Envy pointed out I also think already bass heavy closed headphones probably take the bass boost better cuz they were designed to output a lot of bass. But let's not forget the most basic thing, ie. volume. Usually speakers can whitstand a very high (painful) volume of a higher frequency without a prob but if you'd let it play a bass heavy song at same volume it could easily break in matter of secs. This is why I usually avoid listen to my trance music at high volumes but listening to some good ballads or rock or video game music for example I usually up the volume considerably. Besides being worried about the headphones breaking I'm also getting worried about my hearing, I don't think listening to "earshaking" bass is that healthy in the long run at high volumes and neither do I enjoy it. :p
OTH I've thought the speakers have broke on me a couple of times due to slight "rattle" sometimes but it turned out to be a vibrating piece of hair. ><
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/10/10 at 3:37pmpost #6 of 356/10/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
haha thanks guys.
I'm currently using ATH-A700, and I really think even without changing anything, the bass is plentiful. It's just that sometimes I want a short burst of bass (it's a personal thing).
lol @ sinegen 0-100; it's not that bad (that actually hurts)post #7 of 356/10/10 at 4:23pmQuote:
You should be happy of having such amont of bass, My cans (D2000) have enough bass and i've never had any problems.
If you are not happy with them, look for another set of cans.post #8 of 356/10/10 at 4:27pmpost #9 of 356/10/10 at 6:37pmpost #10 of 356/10/10 at 6:50pmpost #11 of 356/10/10 at 8:47pmThread Starterpost #12 of 356/10/10 at 8:50pmpost #13 of 356/10/10 at 9:05pmQuote:
Uh-huh. I don't know about damage, why stick with cans that have the wrong signature in the first place?post #14 of 356/10/10 at 11:28pmThread StarterQuote:
As for the Sony XB700, I gotta say thats some fine-looking can.post #15 of 356/11/10 at 12:03amQuote:
They are VERY well built as well. Though the pads might look a little goofy, as they are HUUUUUUUUGE, like monster truck tires on your head, lol. Really soft tires.
- Too much bass bad for headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 28 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 2 minutes ago
- › WTT my cash for your Grado sr80i or sr60i. Australia only :) 3 minutes ago
- › New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable 3 minutes ago
- › Need help! E6 vs E11 vs NX1 vs any amp around 50$ 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › A (faulty?) review of a recent SS headphone amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Will Colorfly C3 sound better than my mz-rh1 hi-md minidisc player? 4 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › Calyx Audio M by Currawong
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms by MrTechAgent
- › T-PEOS H-100II by mark2410
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)