I must emphasize bass. I often use the EQ to raise the bass, maxing out the 32Hz and bumping the 64Hz very high as well. Is that bad for headphones? I really like the bass, but I rather not break anything.
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/21/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones that are = or better then ES7 Last post on 5/4/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend some portable headphones <$250 with my criteria? Last post on 9/2/10 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- k701 sound wierd at 100hr mark Last post on 1/18/12 at 12:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- More comfortable, higher-end version of the HD 202 for around $100 Last post on 10/20/11 at 7:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
Too much bass bad for headphones?post #1 of 356/10/10 at 3:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 356/10/10 at 3:11ampost #3 of 356/10/10 at 2:19pmpost #4 of 356/10/10 at 2:27pm
I think it varies by headphone. Some headphones respond very well to emphasized bass, like the M50, XB700, and ES7. Others don't. The AD700 (being bass anemic), didn't take too kindly to emphasized bass. It can take SOME, but it starts getting distorted after raising it more than it can hold. The K701 is bass shy, but responds a lot better than the Ad700 to emphasized bass.
I think it's safe to say that headphones with good bass can take a good bump. I also think it works better on closed headphones compared to open headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/10/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 356/10/10 at 2:59pm
Well I've had my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro at +19.5 on 62Hz for probably 3 years or more now and they haven't broke on me yet. So at least some headphones can whitstand huge bass emphasize at least. Like Mad Lust Envy pointed out I also think already bass heavy closed headphones probably take the bass boost better cuz they were designed to output a lot of bass. But let's not forget the most basic thing, ie. volume. Usually speakers can whitstand a very high (painful) volume of a higher frequency without a prob but if you'd let it play a bass heavy song at same volume it could easily break in matter of secs. This is why I usually avoid listen to my trance music at high volumes but listening to some good ballads or rock or video game music for example I usually up the volume considerably. Besides being worried about the headphones breaking I'm also getting worried about my hearing, I don't think listening to "earshaking" bass is that healthy in the long run at high volumes and neither do I enjoy it. :p
OTH I've thought the speakers have broke on me a couple of times due to slight "rattle" sometimes but it turned out to be a vibrating piece of hair. ><
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/10/10 at 3:37pmpost #6 of 356/10/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
haha thanks guys.
I'm currently using ATH-A700, and I really think even without changing anything, the bass is plentiful. It's just that sometimes I want a short burst of bass (it's a personal thing).
lol @ sinegen 0-100; it's not that bad (that actually hurts)post #7 of 356/10/10 at 4:23pmQuote:
You should be happy of having such amont of bass, My cans (D2000) have enough bass and i've never had any problems.
If you are not happy with them, look for another set of cans.post #8 of 356/10/10 at 4:27pmpost #9 of 356/10/10 at 6:37pmpost #10 of 356/10/10 at 6:50pmpost #11 of 356/10/10 at 8:47pmThread Starterpost #12 of 356/10/10 at 8:50pmpost #13 of 356/10/10 at 9:05pmQuote:
Uh-huh. I don't know about damage, why stick with cans that have the wrong signature in the first place?post #14 of 356/10/10 at 11:28pmThread StarterQuote:
As for the Sony XB700, I gotta say thats some fine-looking can.post #15 of 356/11/10 at 12:03amQuote:
They are VERY well built as well. Though the pads might look a little goofy, as they are HUUUUUUUUGE, like monster truck tires on your head, lol. Really soft tires.
- Too much bass bad for headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 32 seconds ago
- › Edmonton Head-Fi Mini-Meet Saturday July 26th 2014 at University of... 1 minute ago
- › CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Ultrasone Pro 2900 2 minutes ago
- › Philips SHE3580/3590 vs Monoprice 8320/9927 vs SoundMagic E10 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Stock FW ver 2.1.0 (Latest... 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 vs Audio Technica ATH-A900X 9 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)