I must emphasize bass. I often use the EQ to raise the bass, maxing out the 32Hz and bumping the 64Hz very high as well. Is that bad for headphones? I really like the bass, but I rather not break anything.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/21/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade from ATH-ES7 - need help! Last post on 6/26/11 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and Shure 1540 added) Last post on Today at 6:20 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Headphones that are = or better then ES7 Last post on 5/4/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend some portable headphones <$250 with my criteria? Last post on 9/2/10 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone...
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these made in China headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Too much bass bad for headphones?post #1 of 356/10/10 at 3:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 356/10/10 at 3:11ampost #3 of 356/10/10 at 2:19pmpost #4 of 356/10/10 at 2:27pm
I think it varies by headphone. Some headphones respond very well to emphasized bass, like the M50, XB700, and ES7. Others don't. The AD700 (being bass anemic), didn't take too kindly to emphasized bass. It can take SOME, but it starts getting distorted after raising it more than it can hold. The K701 is bass shy, but responds a lot better than the Ad700 to emphasized bass.
I think it's safe to say that headphones with good bass can take a good bump. I also think it works better on closed headphones compared to open headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/10/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 356/10/10 at 2:59pm
Well I've had my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro at +19.5 on 62Hz for probably 3 years or more now and they haven't broke on me yet. So at least some headphones can whitstand huge bass emphasize at least. Like Mad Lust Envy pointed out I also think already bass heavy closed headphones probably take the bass boost better cuz they were designed to output a lot of bass. But let's not forget the most basic thing, ie. volume. Usually speakers can whitstand a very high (painful) volume of a higher frequency without a prob but if you'd let it play a bass heavy song at same volume it could easily break in matter of secs. This is why I usually avoid listen to my trance music at high volumes but listening to some good ballads or rock or video game music for example I usually up the volume considerably. Besides being worried about the headphones breaking I'm also getting worried about my hearing, I don't think listening to "earshaking" bass is that healthy in the long run at high volumes and neither do I enjoy it. :p
OTH I've thought the speakers have broke on me a couple of times due to slight "rattle" sometimes but it turned out to be a vibrating piece of hair. ><
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/10/10 at 3:37pmpost #6 of 356/10/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
haha thanks guys.
I'm currently using ATH-A700, and I really think even without changing anything, the bass is plentiful. It's just that sometimes I want a short burst of bass (it's a personal thing).
lol @ sinegen 0-100; it's not that bad (that actually hurts)post #7 of 356/10/10 at 4:23pmQuote:
You should be happy of having such amont of bass, My cans (D2000) have enough bass and i've never had any problems.
If you are not happy with them, look for another set of cans.post #8 of 356/10/10 at 4:27pmpost #9 of 356/10/10 at 6:37pmpost #10 of 356/10/10 at 6:50pmpost #11 of 356/10/10 at 8:47pmThread Starterpost #12 of 356/10/10 at 8:50pmpost #13 of 356/10/10 at 9:05pmQuote:
Uh-huh. I don't know about damage, why stick with cans that have the wrong signature in the first place?post #14 of 356/10/10 at 11:28pmThread StarterQuote:
As for the Sony XB700, I gotta say thats some fine-looking can.post #15 of 356/11/10 at 12:03amQuote:
They are VERY well built as well. Though the pads might look a little goofy, as they are HUUUUUUUUGE, like monster truck tires on your head, lol. Really soft tires.
- Too much bass bad for headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra 13 seconds ago
- › New here 22 seconds ago
- › Shanling M3 28 seconds ago
- › Help me pick Mid Tier CIEMs 51 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for comfortable, on/over ear headphones with good isolation... 4 minutes ago
- › What is your favorite Hi-Res Audio sites? 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Advice on headphones!!! 5 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3