I must emphasize bass. I often use the EQ to raise the bass, maxing out the 32Hz and bumping the 64Hz very high as well. Is that bad for headphones? I really like the bass, but I rather not break anything.
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 12/6/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 12/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/21/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/21/10
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 12/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade from ATH-ES7 - need help! Last post on 6/26/11 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Yesterday at 11:52 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Headphones that are = or better then ES7 Last post on 5/4/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend some portable headphones <$250 with my criteria? Last post on 9/2/10 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest influences on the audio market was the invention of the operational amplifiers. Compact and inexpensive (mostly) chips allowed to create small and well sounding...
The F7200 is a single balanced armature in ear moniter from the Japanese company Final. Final have been in business since 1974 and in my opinion make some retro looking IEM and full size...
Too much bass bad for headphones?post #1 of 356/10/10 at 3:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 356/10/10 at 3:11ampost #3 of 356/10/10 at 2:19pmpost #4 of 356/10/10 at 2:27pm
I think it varies by headphone. Some headphones respond very well to emphasized bass, like the M50, XB700, and ES7. Others don't. The AD700 (being bass anemic), didn't take too kindly to emphasized bass. It can take SOME, but it starts getting distorted after raising it more than it can hold. The K701 is bass shy, but responds a lot better than the Ad700 to emphasized bass.
I think it's safe to say that headphones with good bass can take a good bump. I also think it works better on closed headphones compared to open headphones.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/10/10 at 2:32pmpost #5 of 356/10/10 at 2:59pm
Well I've had my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro at +19.5 on 62Hz for probably 3 years or more now and they haven't broke on me yet. So at least some headphones can whitstand huge bass emphasize at least. Like Mad Lust Envy pointed out I also think already bass heavy closed headphones probably take the bass boost better cuz they were designed to output a lot of bass. But let's not forget the most basic thing, ie. volume. Usually speakers can whitstand a very high (painful) volume of a higher frequency without a prob but if you'd let it play a bass heavy song at same volume it could easily break in matter of secs. This is why I usually avoid listen to my trance music at high volumes but listening to some good ballads or rock or video game music for example I usually up the volume considerably. Besides being worried about the headphones breaking I'm also getting worried about my hearing, I don't think listening to "earshaking" bass is that healthy in the long run at high volumes and neither do I enjoy it. :p
OTH I've thought the speakers have broke on me a couple of times due to slight "rattle" sometimes but it turned out to be a vibrating piece of hair. ><
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/10/10 at 3:37pmpost #6 of 356/10/10 at 4:09pmThread Starter
haha thanks guys.
I'm currently using ATH-A700, and I really think even without changing anything, the bass is plentiful. It's just that sometimes I want a short burst of bass (it's a personal thing).
lol @ sinegen 0-100; it's not that bad (that actually hurts)post #7 of 356/10/10 at 4:23pmQuote:
You should be happy of having such amont of bass, My cans (D2000) have enough bass and i've never had any problems.
If you are not happy with them, look for another set of cans.post #8 of 356/10/10 at 4:27pmpost #9 of 356/10/10 at 6:37pmpost #10 of 356/10/10 at 6:50pmpost #11 of 356/10/10 at 8:47pmThread Starterpost #12 of 356/10/10 at 8:50pmpost #13 of 356/10/10 at 9:05pmQuote:
Uh-huh. I don't know about damage, why stick with cans that have the wrong signature in the first place?post #14 of 356/10/10 at 11:28pmThread StarterQuote:
As for the Sony XB700, I gotta say thats some fine-looking can.post #15 of 356/11/10 at 12:03amQuote:
They are VERY well built as well. Though the pads might look a little goofy, as they are HUUUUUUUUGE, like monster truck tires on your head, lol. Really soft tires.
- Too much bass bad for headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 seconds ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 48 seconds ago
- › Blast from the Past - Post your favourites, any genre any decade 52 seconds ago
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...