or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UM3X - removable cables or fixed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UM3X - removable cables or fixed? - Page 2

post #16 of 24

I would much prefer the permanent cable even at the same price.  The strain relief is as well built as any and has a natural form factor that will lead the cable itself back down your ear.  The detachable one looks more fragile to me and by the looks I'm not convinced they are equally comfortable.

post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 

Thanks Spyro, I'll take your advice then if I decide to go for UM3X.

Do you have any experience of ES3X. I know they are meant to sound superb and I've read the UM3X is based on same tech (but obviously in a universal casing), but does that make the UM3X as good as ES3X? I've scoured the forums for this info and came across claims of UM3X being around 70%'ish the performance of ES3X. I'm guessing the remaining 30%'ish percent is due to the better isolation provided by the custom design? Or is the internal tech between the 2 not as similar as perceived?

 

cheers,

 

Shaka
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

I would much prefer the permanent cable even at the same price.  The strain relief is as well built as any and has a natural form factor that will lead the cable itself back down your ear.  The detachable one looks more fragile to me and by the looks I'm not convinced they are equally comfortable.

post #18 of 24

I could be wrong but I could have sworn poster HeadphoneAddict labeled UM3X more like 85-90% of what ES3X was.  Could PM him to see if it was him.

post #19 of 24

Why not use an official/authorised US Westone dealer - safer than eBay.

 

Westone cables are great, especially if you take the cable behind your head.

The Westone ES2 cable is exactly the same as standard Westone IEM cable (UM1, UM2, W3 etc.) but has a bit of memory wire at the end, to fit your ear.

 

The only problem I had with the cable, after over a year of daily, rigourous use was that the slider/cinch became loose. Some people don't use it - I find it essential for a 'behind head/down back' fit, but not for a frontal fit.

Strain relief, strength etc. are/were excellent.

 

Personally I would go with removable model, as it may be a big help for little extra cost right now.

 

You can also choose a different colour cable if you want (clear, brown, beige or black).


Edited by Aeneas - 6/17/10 at 3:31am
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 

I think after some more thinking I think I'll settle for UM3X and pass on ES3X for now. I think I got a bit greedy and got caught up in all the (well deserved, I'm sure) favourable ES3X comments. I'm certain however that I'll be more than happy with UM3X.

 

As I've said in my earlier posts, I do like the idea of the removable cable versions, due to the ability to replace possibly damaged cables or better cables, and the extra accessories provided. My only concern would be the connector becoming loose after a period of use.

 

I was going to use eBay cos the few UK retailers currently only have the fixed cable versions. Importing from an authorised US dealer would incur additional costs due to import taxes/VAT. The eBay seller (US based) is willing to mark them down in value and declare it as a gift. He seems genuine enough, established and has plenty of good feedback.

 

thanks,

 

shaka

post #21 of 24

But is he authorised as a Westone retailer - for warranty purposes?

post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 

doubt he's authorised to be honest ....

but how else could I get this in UK?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aameerp View Post

But is he authorised as a Westone retailer - for warranty purposes?

post #23 of 24

You will love the UM3Xs. 

post #24 of 24

Price..

Quote:

Originally Posted by aameerp View Post  Why not use an official/authorised US Westone dealer - safer than eBay.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UM3X - removable cables or fixed?