Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800?? - Page 3  

post #31 of 1379


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

I think what happens (and it has happened to me) is that we are initally so excited about the positive aspects of a new headphone ( and how they "fix" the problems of the previous one) that we overlook the negative ones. They catch up to us later on. Then we long for something "better". Thank God our spouse/partner is not a pair of headphones.

 

Yes, the result of a lack of perspective. For example, I'm quite interested in the Earsonics SM3. It's a $400 universal earphone that appears to be very promising. However, the only comparisons have been to lower-priced universals. Nobody who's reviewed it seems to be familiar with the lower-end customs of the same price (UE4, JH5). So how can I take those reviews seriously?
 

For the LCD-2, I think what's mostly lacking is more experience with the HE-6. But I think Fang recognizes this, and is taking steps.

post #32 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Yes, the result of a lack of perspective. For example, I'm quite interested in the Earsonics SM3. It's a $400 universal earphone that appears to be very promising. However, the only comparisons have been to lower-priced universals. Nobody who's reviewed it seems to be familiar with the lower-end customs of the same price (UE4, JH5). So how can I take those reviews seriously?

 

For the LCD-2, I think what's mostly lacking is more experience with the HE-6. But I think Fang recognizes this, and is taking steps.

I can tell you for one, and I suspect I'm not the only one, I don't lack for experience with live acoustic instruments and voice.  That is my standard and always will be.  By that standard, the LCD-2s are at the top of the heap.
 

post #33 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

75% usually agree on something for the first month. Then it gradually falls apart after that, when the endorphin rush wears off and/or something "better" comes along.

 

I think what happens (and it has happened to me) is that we are initally so excited about the positive aspects of a new headphone ( and how they "fix" the problems of the previous one) that we overlook the negative ones. They catch up to us later on. Then we long for something "better". Thank God our spouse/partner is not a pair of headphones.


very true.  But I don't think the crowd that is praising the LCD-2 is really swayed by FOTM.  I mean many of them are guys who have been modding 40 year old headphones for years because nothing new can do it for them. 

post #34 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post

I can tell you for one, and I suspect I'm not the only one, I don't lack for experience with live acoustic instruments and voice.  That is my standard and always will be.  By that standard, the LCD-2s are at the top of the heap.
 


 

Yes, but we've been hearing that same tune since the HP1000 and HD580. They sounded like high-end loudspeakers in their truth of timbre. Does the LCD-2 reproduce the timbre, impact, dynamics and full frequency range of unamped "live instruments and voices"? If it does, it should sell for more than it's current asking price. They're giving it away.
 

post #35 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Yes, but we've been hearing that same tune since the HP1000 and HD580. They sounded like high-end loudspeakers in their truth of timbre. Does the LCD-2 reproduce the timbre, impact, dynamics and full frequency range of unamped "live instruments and voices"? If it does, it should sell for more than it's current asking price. They're giving it away.

You didn't hear anything from me on the HD-580s and HP1000.  The 580s were nice in their day, the best on the dynamic heap with a Cardas recable for a time, but they never but they never made me think too hard about reality.  The AKG-K501 did better IMO.  The LCD-2?  Makes me think about reality.  Yes, considering the SQ, they're a bargain at twice the price, IMO.

 

Is the LCD-2 perfect?  No.  Is there room for improvement?  Yes.

post #36 of 1379
Shhhhh!

Seriously, they put themselves in a little tough position by announcing it at $699(?). Then when they went to $999, people were not happy. Never mind that it beats the $1499 competitors
post #37 of 1379

For me, it is (most likely) just a matter of selling the hd800 for a pair of LCD-2. They are that good, and, I have a Cavalli amp to drive it, so power is not an issue. Very ironic that this was the amp I finally found to properly drive the hd800.

 

Just timing. No FOTM.

 

Now, are the LCD-2 enough to also make me abandon stats? To be determined.

post #38 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post

I'm saying all of 3 (out of 15-20) seem to prefer the dynamics over the LCD-2, not all but 3. And that even for those 3, they aren't denying the absolute performance, accuracy, and detail from the LCD-2, just more that the dynamics' sound suits their taste better.

 

Which is pretty astounding if you think about it, to get a good 75+% of agreement on anything. Sure it's perhaps too small of a test group to be statistically significant, but these aren't exactly rookies either (which was my other point).

 

 

 

 

They sound like planar noobs to me. 
 

post #39 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

They sound like planar noobs to me. 
 

 

The 3 are the planar noobs, or the big group?
 

post #40 of 1379

The 3.  I misunderstood your initial post.  

post #41 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

The 3.  I misunderstood your initial post.  


Ok, gotcha. Maybe so. But I will still respect their opinions.

post #42 of 1379

I have a pretty big noggin and also wear glasses, but I found the LCD-2 to be pretty uncomfortable with regards to clamping pressure.  They have a LOT more clamping pressure than the HD800's.  Also, leather ear pads are not as comfortable to wear in warmer weather if you are prone to sweating like me.

 

But I prefer the LCD-2's sound quality so far over the HD800.  

 

-Ed

post #43 of 1379

The LCD-2 might eclipse the HD800 in sound reproduction but is it as comfortable to wear for extended listening periods?  

post #44 of 1379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

Yes, but we've been hearing that same tune since the HP1000 and HD580. They sounded like high-end loudspeakers in their truth of timbre.


I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that the HP1000 and HD580 were FOTM?  or do you disagree that the HP1000 has accurate timbre?

post #45 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post

The LCD-2 might eclipse the HD800 in sound reproduction but is it as comfortable to wear for extended listening periods?  


I carefully bent the headband out a little at the joints, not hard to do if you go easy and you can basically set the pressure you prefer. I like it to have a snug rather than vice-like fit, and as they are now I can wear them all day without discomfort. They do come with an excessive clamping force. The pads are also quite firm so a little clamp is necessary to seal them, nothing like how they come though. Once the pads soften up they will be very comfortable. The ratchet adjuster can also be tightened if you find they slip out of position too easily. A small screwdriver is all that's needed.


Edited by smeggy - 6/13/10 at 11:40pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??