Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800?? - Page 90  

post #1336 of 1379

I've listened to both headphones with a decent sampling of amps. With tubes and solid state. Between the two headphones I prefer the HD800 by a sizable margin. I believe, to me at least, the beta22 and HD800 are a terrific pair. I also think the LCD2 with the beta22 and the Apache are the best amps I've heard with it.

In the end the more compact soundstage and recesses highs of the LCD2 were just too much for me to overcome.

I like almost everything about the HD800 and find less flaws and can live with the few they might have better than I can with the LCD2's. Even if it were a tie the HD800 would win for comfort. By plenty.

post #1337 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaac View Post

I'm looking at getting one of these headphones in a couple of months

 

I currently have 701 and DT 880 and much prefer the 701's

 

Based on this which one out of the LCD2 and HD800 would suit me do you think?



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post
HD800 for sure.  But it kind of depends on why you prefer the 701.  The LCD2 has less treble and more bass than both of them. 


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post


Definitely the HD800 in that case.

 


I disagree that the HD800 is the obvious choice here, and I think rhythmdevils hit on why.  The DT880 have less bass and more treble energy than the K701.  While I for sure don't think the K701 sound like the LCD-2, if you liked the K701 more than the DT880 due to tonal balance, you might well like the LCD-2 better than the HD800.

 

post #1338 of 1379

DT880 have more bass than K701.  I'd recommend the HD800 for the simple fact that it sounds more like the K701 than the LCD2 does.  It's been said plenty that the HD800 is like an upgraded K701 and the LCD2 is like an upgraded HD650.  IMO the DT880 falls somewhere between the K701 and HD650 in signature.

post #1339 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

I've listened to both headphones with a decent sampling of amps. With tubes and solid state. Between the two headphones I prefer the HD800 by a sizable margin. I believe, to me at least, the beta22 and HD800 are a terrific pair. I also think the LCD2 with the beta22 and the Apache are the best amps I've heard with it.

In the end the more compact soundstage and recesses highs of the LCD2 were just too much for me to overcome.

I like almost everything about the HD800 and find less flaws and can live with the few they might have better than I can with the LCD2's. Even if it were a tie the HD800 would win for comfort. By plenty.


x2 for the same reasons.  The LCD-2 is very nice and I'm keeping them, but I still prefer the ZDT > HD800 over my LCD-2 with any amp I own.  I do find that cables and amps make a noticeable difference with these phones.

 

Both phones are re-cabled, and I just got the Silver Dragon adaptable cable system for LCD-2.  The cable does make the LCD-2 sound better with the ZDT amp now, and they sound more transparent and less dark.  Another improvement with LCD-2 was after upgrading the ZDT to partial silver transformers.  With the upgraded ZDT amp the LCD-2 soundstage is not small, although not as big as on the HD800.  But comfort of the HD800 is miles ahead of the LCD-2, and I can listen to the HD800 and ZDT for hours on end.  However, with the LCD-2 I can just barely make it through a full CD before I'm squirming to get the clamp off my head.

 

When used with amps better tuned for my LCD-2, like with brighter tubes in my WA6 or with the more aggressive sounding Nuforce HDP, then the HD800 don't fare as well in comparison and can become a little fatiguing, even more with the stock cable.  However, I can make the WA6 better with HD800 by changing tubes, and can make the HDP better with HD800 by adding a Sigma 11 PSU and a new cable.  I haven't found tubes for the WA6 that sound good with both phones. 

 

Some other amps do better with both phones, but still not equally as well - including the ZDT and Amphora that are a little better with HD800, and DACmini or balanced SR-71b which do a little better with the LCD-2.  I can still enjoy any of those 4 amps with either re-cabled headphone, and no tube rolling needed.  (Note - the Silver Dragon cable has balanced and single ended adapters to use with desktop and portable amps, and I have several single ended and balanced cables for the HD800 - the SR-71b must be used balanced to truly shine)

 

This is ignoring the fact that I like the HE-6 even more.  With the new transformers the ZDT drives the HE-6 even better than before, and the balanced SR-71b is very surprising with the HE-6 as well.

post #1340 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post


Larry, are you saying you prefer the HE6 as your TOTL now?  Or that you like it more than before?  I haven't been able to escape the overtly electrostatic nature of the HE6 yet and the HD800 seemed to scale higher on the WA5 whereas the HE6 seemed to hit a wall.  Not sure why.

 

Not to be too OT but could you do a brief rundown on the silver transformer upgrade and how you perceive the benefit in sonic properties versus say cable.  Is it a similar effect or more profound making it a better allocation of resources?

 

post #1341 of 1379

Interesting the WA-5 does better with the HD800 than HE-6?  I kinda feel like the WA-5 works great with the HE-6 and really is about as good as it gets there, but I don't own any HD800 yet, maybe later this week?

post #1342 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post

Interesting the WA-5 does better with the HD800 than HE-6?  I kinda feel like the WA-5 works great with the HE-6 and really is about as good as it gets there, but I don't own any HD800 yet, maybe later this week?


Tell us what you think if you do get them.  That was my impression.  I also asked a few peeps at the meet to do the same AB and there was a bit of a consensus though a small sampling.  Could be a result of placebo or injecting bias.  tongue.gif  The HE6 sounded best I've heard from the WA5 and Lyr from my limited auditions.  The HD800 just seemed to keep scaling.  YMMV.  wink.gif

 

post #1343 of 1379

I found the HD800 to be more transparent than the HE-6, so I'm not surprised they scale higher.

post #1344 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




Larry, are you saying you prefer the HE6 as your TOTL now?  Or that you like it more than before?  I haven't been able to escape the overtly electrostatic nature of the HE6 yet and the HD800 seemed to scale higher on the WA5 whereas the HE6 seemed to hit a wall.  Not sure why.

 

Not to be too OT but could you do a brief rundown on the silver transformer upgrade and how you perceive the benefit in sonic properties versus say cable.  Is it a similar effect or more profound making it a better allocation of resources?

 


The improvement from the transformer upgrade was even bigger with the HE-6 than with the other two phones. The ZDT went from good to fantastic with the HE-6, and the HE-6 are clearly better to me than the LCD-2, even though the LCD-2 are finally a good match for the ZDT. With the HD800 vs HE-6 it's much more difficult to declare the winner, because the ZDT was phenomenal with the HD800 to start with, and now it has even better transparency and micro-detail. There was never any fatigue with the HD800 and ZDT, while there is with my HDP, SAC, and WA6 with my LCD-2 tube set. So the amp choice makes a huge difference in what phone is better.

I think the transformer upgrade was a bigger change than what any cable offers. I find myself listening to the HE-6 a little more than the HD800 in my big rig now, while before it was the other way around and so I kept my HE-6 in the bedroom rig with my SR-71b amp. I'll post more after I spend more time listening with the upgraded amp, but right now I'd pick both the HE-6 and HD800 over the LCD-2, and a part of that is due to comfort issues.

The HD800 responds nicely to my Locus-Design Hyperion cable (and another cable I can't discuss anymore), and I'd still want that with most amps but stock was fine with the ZDT. The LCD-2 responds very nicely to the Silver Dragon cable, but after the silver transformers I can still deal with the stock cable. The HE-6 stock cable is just fine as is.
post #1345 of 1379

Thank you sir.

post #1346 of 1379

I appreciate each set of cans for what they are (HD800 and LCD-2). I've been doing a lot of tube rolling recently and i've kept the HD800s connected primarily because of their flat-ness and beautiful transparency. The LCD-2 just has more slam which sometimes is what I am in the mood for (well a lot of the time).

 

To make a long story short, I was in the same dilemma after buying my Woo Audio 22. I listen mostly to blues/rock/the dead. The folks on the Woo thread were split and I ended up buying both. I'm very happy I did.

 

Keep in mind I do not claim to be an "audiophile" - I can only vouch for my own ears. However, the LCD-2 pleases me very easily with it's performance. The HD800 also can be extremely pleasing but, for my ears at least, it takes a fair amount of tube rolling to get it just right.

 

But don't take that to mean I am down on the HD800 at all. In fact, I have had many experiences with both cans of haunting realism and listening joy. I love them both and would easily buy them again.

post #1347 of 1379

I have these two together again, and with the right tubes this time. I also have a late-model HD800 now with my mid-model LCD-2 and these are two kick-@ss headphones. I'm using identical balanced cables out of the same amp at the same time. They have really come together for me now and I have to say that neither one is "better", they are both top-tier winners. 

beerchug.gif


Edited by grokit - 7/13/11 at 12:10am
post #1348 of 1379

HD800 is better.  

 

LCD-2 has its merits, e.g. bass performance and mid neutrality, but way too dark for full spectrum listening.  For certain genre, LCD-2 would be the best as some people feel.   

post #1349 of 1379

Hello PanamaRed,  can you please tell me if the HD800 work well with your MAD Ear+ HD? and what was the tube used?

 

Regards

 

Simon 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaRed View Post

I appreciate each set of cans for what they are (HD800 and LCD-2). I've been doing a lot of tube rolling recently and i've kept the HD800s connected primarily because of their flat-ness and beautiful transparency. The LCD-2 just has more slam which sometimes is what I am in the mood for (well a lot of the time).

 

To make a long story short, I was in the same dilemma after buying my Woo Audio 22. I listen mostly to blues/rock/the dead. The folks on the Woo thread were split and I ended up buying both. I'm very happy I did.

 

Keep in mind I do not claim to be an "audiophile" - I can only vouch for my own ears. However, the LCD-2 pleases me very easily with it's performance. The HD800 also can be extremely pleasing but, for my ears at least, it takes a fair amount of tube rolling to get it just right.

 

But don't take that to mean I am down on the HD800 at all. In fact, I have had many experiences with both cans of haunting realism and listening joy. I love them both and would easily buy them again.



 

post #1350 of 1379

I use the Grace m903 (DAC and amp) with the HD800s and the LCD-2 with the WA6se and the m903 as a pre-amp. I use the HD800s when imaging, soundstage, and highs are the most important part of a track. I use the LCD-2s (rev 1) when bass, mids and general warmth are most important. Having both makes me realize how each on its own is inadequate. Since both are such mutually exclusive headphones (in that they are both so drastically different soundwise), they together are able to cover a diverse selection of songs with the desired sound signature.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??