Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800?? - Page 88  

post #1306 of 1379

Yes, good one Baka. These are both great headphones despite their differences.

post #1307 of 1379

can't decide so i'm keepin both =P

 

Have to say though... infected muchroom through HD-800 just doesn't sound as fun as LCD-2s (both through audio-gd phoenix). For movie soundtracks however i'd definitely reach for the HD-800s first.

post #1308 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

There is such divisive opinions on the HD800 and the LCD2. It certainly makes for entertaining reading. I know my preferences diverge from others here on Head-Fi. So in no way are my views definitive. Just one point of reference. Please bare that in mind.

As I said in an earlier thread that the HD800/WA2 vs the LCD2/beta22 was a challenge for me. I am a big fan of the HD800 but the WA2 isn't my first choice of amp. Also, I'm a big fan of the beta22 amp but the LCD2 isn't my first choice of headphones. Please don't take it as an indictment of the WA2 or the LCD2. It's not. I think the HE500 and WA2 are a terrific match.

The HD800 together with the Woo WA2 would seem by many to be the perfect pairing. There are those here that think it is. I can understand why. But to me the WA2 takes away some of the HD800's character instead of enhances it. To me, the WA2 softens things up too much for my tastes and makes it a it too laid back. I'm sorry I just didn't personally like the WA2 and HD800 as well as others have.

The LCD2 with the beta22 is the best amp I've heard with it. It lightens up the LCD2 and opens it up. I just still wish the top end was a bit more forward and the soundstage was a tad more expansive. The LCD2 still does vocals amazingly with the beta22 amp. Bass really tightens up even further than it already has with tube amps. As much as the beta22 amps really makes the LCD2 show off it's strengths, it still falls short of what I like.

So there you have it. I know I may anger several here and I apologize it I have offended anyone. I just stated what I feel and my opinion.


Peace,


Ross


I guess we all prefer different things....I would have sold my HD800s had it not been for my DHC OCC Copper cable and WA2. They were a tad too bright/clinical for me. The WA2/copper cable were just what the doctor ordered for me to be able to really enjoy them. It gives them an "earthier" presentation that is closer to a real life setting to me; rather than the uber-clear SS option that dissects the music.

My Concerto drives the HD800s very well, but I very rarely listen to that combination. A bit too dry to my ears. But then again, you're a SS guy and I'm a tube guy. smile.gif

If one is really into SS, the the B22 is hard to beat, but if you're a tube guy, I wholeheartedly recommend the WA2 for the HD800s.
Edited by MacedonianHero - 6/6/11 at 5:34pm
post #1309 of 1379

Oh Lord, please tell me I didn't contribute to turning this thread into a syrupy polite-fest. I want to see BLOOD!!!

 

HD800's are shrill, soulless, corporate pocket pickers!

LCD-2's are heavy, dull, high-school woodshop projects!

 

;-)

 

 

 

post #1310 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sferic View Post

Oh Lord, please tell me I didn't contribute to turning this thread into a syrupy polite-fest. I want to see BLOOD!!!

 

HD800's are shrill, soulless, corporate pocket pickers!

LCD-2's are heavy, dull, high-school woodshop projects!

 

;-)

 


Which means you need the HE-500/HE-6 (or an ES5/JH13Pro).

 

 

(feeding the monster)

post #1311 of 1379

I did an A/B of these at a meet recently through a NuForce Icon HDP feeding a Burson HA-160 amp.  For classical and jazz I liked the HD 800s slightly more for their detail and stage but liked the LCD2s much more for trance.  I felt the LCD2s were quite dark on the NuForce/Burson setup but better out of a Beyerdynamic amp (purportedly bright) fed from a quality CD player (not sure of the models).  My 2 cents. 

post #1312 of 1379

Quote:Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict 


"Which means you need the HE-500/HE-6 (or an ES5/JH13Pro).

(feeding the monster)"



I must admit the HE500 does have a lot going for it.

post #1313 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCitySound View Post

I did an A/B of these at a meet recently through a NuForce Icon HDP feeding a Burson HA-160 amp.  For classical and jazz I liked the HD 800s slightly more for their detail and stage but liked the LCD2s much more for trance.  I felt the LCD2s were quite dark on the NuForce/Burson setup but better out of a Beyerdynamic amp (purportedly bright) fed from a quality CD player (not sure of the models).  My 2 cents. 


I was definitely not fond of the LCD2/Burson 160 combo.  Lyr worked out better to my ears.

 

post #1314 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




I was definitely not fond of the LCD2/Burson 160 combo.  Lyr worked out better to my ears.

 


Mine too. smile.gif
post #1315 of 1379

Which is warmer and softer of the 160/lyr?

post #1316 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

I was definitely not fond of the LCD2/Burson 160 combo.  Lyr worked out better to my ears.


Me three.

 

post #1317 of 1379

Okay, folks. Funny discussion.

 

Let me add my two cents:

 

HD800 is BETTER, because it seems to be better for my taste (Tee-hee! Strike!). normal_smile%20.gif
And that is really everything that counts (at least for me).

 

Here my reasons in detail:

 

HD800...

- has just the right amount of warmth,

- has the right presentation of a lively soundstage,

- has a good capability of instrument separation and detection,

- has a very natural bass response down to the sub-bass department,

- has superbly integrated mids in the overall sound,

- has engaging highs which don't disturb me when I use my kind of preferred music,

- has the best wearing comfort of all headphones I've owned/tried so far (I can easily listen six hours or more with it at a stretch),

- offers the right amount of musical details that come from the HD800's great resolution and

- it is "Made in Germany" ... [probably a new argument AGAINST the HD800 in this discussion...bigsmile_face.gif]

 

LCD-2 apparently has NOT the same soundstage, has more bass with another presentation, has an overall warmer sound, has not the wearing comfort, etc. ... so it loses for me against the HD800, but it's maybe a nice secondary headphone that complements the HD800...

 

The statement that professional musicians/music producers use the LCD-2 instead of the HD800 is some kind of worthless and nonsense to me.

 

For me the best recordings were made decades ago, when no one has ever heard of a HD800 or LCD-2.

 

I'm a serious Classical Music/Opera lover and listener. For me the HD800 is nearly perfect for this purpose.


Cheers! beerchug.gif

post #1318 of 1379

Both are exeptional headphones, and I had a hard time deciding which one to dump. I dumped the HD800 and kept the LCD-2. Now I have bought the HE-500 to complement my LCD-2. There´s just something with the orthos I like. Hard to elaborate, so I´ll just quote another user that articulated it well:

 

The HD-800 sounds like a nice hi-fi headphone. The LCD-2 sounds like real life.


Edited by Loevhagen - 6/16/11 at 2:38pm
post #1319 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Both are exeptional headphones, and I had a hard time deciding which one to dump. I dumped the HD800 and kept the LCD-2. Now I have bought the HE-500 to complement my LCD-2. There´s just something with the orthos I like. Hard to elaborate, so I´ll just quote another user that articulated it well:

 

The HD-800 sounds like a nice hi-fi headphone. The LCD-2 sounds like real life.


Much as I enjoyed my time with the LCD2s, they did not sound like "real life" to me. They sounded like a different sort of nice hifi headphone. Now I keep my expectations moderate. Happy days.

 

o

 

post #1320 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordwestlicht View Post


LCD-2 apparently has NOT the same soundstage, has more bass with another presentation, has an overall warmer sound, has not the wearing comfort, etc. ... so it loses for me against the HD800, but it's maybe a nice secondary headphone that complements the HD800...


Your statement is a bit ambiguous, have you actually heard the LCD-2?

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??