^^I have the 801 and have done a lot of converting and bought another external hard drive and it was well worth it over my ipod at least.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of Hifiman HM models Last post on 7/15/12 at 11:37pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman 801 USB DAC vs Portable USB DACs Last post on 8/13/10 at 11:15pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman 801 GAME amp - any reviews? Last post on 9/26/11 at 6:39am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Hifiman hm-801 doesn´t work Last post on 4/26/11 at 9:03pm in Portable Source Gear
- Hifiman HM-801 help Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:43am in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs - Page 11post #151 of 11958/10/10 at 7:19pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #152 of 11958/11/10 at 8:04pm
Sorry for asking this question (it has already been asked, but I didn't completely understand the answer given), but will the 602 support 24/96 FLAC? From my understanding, it will do so, but only to 192kH (is that was it means to oversample- extend the recorded frequency beyond what the human ear is capable of hearing?).
Please, correct me if I am wrong, and thank you.post #153 of 11958/11/10 at 8:15pmpost #154 of 11958/11/10 at 8:45pmpost #155 of 11958/11/10 at 8:51pmpost #156 of 11958/11/10 at 8:58pmpost #157 of 11958/11/10 at 10:01pmpost #158 of 11958/11/10 at 10:31pm
I've been reading quite a bit about this DAC. Quite the controversial little DAC. As stated no oversampling which is the whole point. I'm a little lost about the whole 24 bit thing since its reported to only really do 8-12 bits out of the theoretical 16 bits on CD let alone 24bits. The point of contention between the great minds is regarding a relatively higher noise level versus say the Wolfsons or Burr Browns, etc but a very high timbre or tonal accuracy true to real life.
If someone can correct me on the TDA1543A feel free to help out. I could use it.post #159 of 11958/12/10 at 1:25ampost #160 of 11958/12/10 at 1:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Hero Kid
Yeah I'm in deeper than I thought. I was reading this topic and although most of it is over my head and jargon I don't understand, I think there is more to this 24 bit playback and the HM-602 than a simple "Yes".
I read over it and it seems you're right. I'm fairly certain that Fang has worked out whatever needs to be implemented and set in the 602 for it to operate as advertised. If not I'm going to develop an aneurysm attempting to figure this all out for myself!post #161 of 11958/12/10 at 2:27am
Haha. It might be able to play 24 bit files but just down-sample them... or it might actually do what you expect from something being listed as being able to playback 24 bit files.
I don't know enough to be able to work it out for myself. I might ask Fang...post #162 of 11958/12/10 at 2:32amQuote:
Only way to find out is to torrent hi-res Steely Dan and try it with the player. If my pants need a change, so will my doubts ;)
But yeah, asking Fang will save me the trial-and-error (as well as the potential emergency laundry-run!).
post #163 of 11958/12/10 at 6:55am
I googled the specs of the chip.."16 Bit economy version" Does not sound like it could handle 24bit natively with out oversampling. The HiFiman web description says "It is well known that Non-oversampling dacs offer great sound for little money. HM-602 is the first portable player using non-oversampling DAC: Philips TDA-1543. "
So I don't get how this does 24bit? I am a 'noob' so I may just be clueless on my understanding of the technical aspects.
TDA1543 Dual 16-bit DAC (economy version) (I2S input format)
Product specification File under Integrated Circuits, IC01 February 1991
Dual 16-bit DAC (economy version) (I2S input format)
FEATURES · Low distortion · 16-bit dynamic range · × oversampling possible · Single 5 V power supply · No external components required · No requirement for external deglitcher circuitry due to fast settling output current · Adjustable bias current · Internal timing and control circuits · I2S input format: time multiplexed, two's complement, (Fixed)
Edited by Student_Driver - 8/12/10 at 11:27ampost #164 of 11958/12/10 at 8:47am
That's very useful, thank you, especially the part about 1.95 - - - - - - - 90 - -30 - -0.6 MIN. 3.0 5.0 50 2.30 -75 0.018 -30 3.2 0.5 - - 96 ± 500 × 10-6 - 250. :-)
I believe that Scot Nixon has used this exact chip in his Chibi DACs. Maybe you don't hear a lot of people swooning at the mention but it is all in the implementation. As I noted before, the cousin EIJA-format chip, the TAD1545, is used in Monica and USB Monica. As implemented, it is wonderful.post #165 of 11958/19/10 at 10:02am
I read a post by Fang stating that it can play hi-rez (24bit) files but it will play them at 16 bit. It will still be able to play up to 96khz though.
so 24bit/96khz goes to 16bit/96khz as opposed to standard 16bit/44khz.
Hope that helps.
- HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Upgrade from soundMAGIC E-30 25 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 27 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Review and Mods 3 minutes ago
- › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › TUNG SOL 5998 / CHATHAM 2399 TUBE New 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe