Just ordered them, eagerly awaiting their arrival at my door.
Related Forum Threads
- First Nice Headphones M50 ... Did I make the right choice? Last post on 9/17/10 at 4:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I unhealthy? Are you? Hear me out! Last post on 9/3/10 at 6:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need to find a good set of Monitoring Cans Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ~$100 closed over-the-ear monitors with heavy bass? Last post on 8/17/10 at 10:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just got my m50s. Is something wrong with them? Last post on 8/12/10 at 10:51am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my first review and it's going to be brief...Never in my life have I been so damn impressed with an audio product (I have a bunch) than I am with my Custom K10's!!! There is not 1 thing...
INTRODUCTION Hello again guys, I am Areek Nibras, a junior Head-fier and a recently graduated physician from Bangladesh, currently doing post-graduation training in Internal medicine. Today I will...
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 466/7/10 at 6:55ampost #3 of 466/7/10 at 7:03amThread Starterpost #4 of 466/7/10 at 8:09ampost #5 of 466/7/10 at 7:54pmpost #6 of 466/8/10 at 9:59am
I'd be interested to hear your guys' impressions - I'm looking into these myself. Especially in comparison to your SR225. Plonter, it looks like you have the D5000, HD650, and RS1 as well...how would you compare the ATH-M50s?post #7 of 466/8/10 at 10:12ampost #8 of 466/8/10 at 10:15amQuote:
well..the RS1 is totally a different beasts. the grado signature is bright,aggresive with a punchy bass but not the deep and boomy kind like the M50 or D5000 (not in a bad way).
the M50 naturally sound much closer to the D5000 ..as they both closed headphones with a rather strong and authoritative bass response. I would say that the bass is more or less the same in quantity and quality. the D5000's mids are more recessed,more in the background than the M50,the M50 mids are a litte bit more upfront. I like it and consider it as an improvement over the D5000,although with certain recordings the D5000 mids can be a delight! but over all the M50 mids are more balanced imo.
the D5000 has a spark in the treble which the M50 don't have...good or bad? it depends in your taste. sometimes i am in the mood for D5000 treble and sometimes for the more relaxed M50's treble. the M50 treble is not rolled off or something,not at all,just not as sparkly as the denons.
about the HD650..I personally don't care for them so much. I can appreciate them for thier great comfort and nice laid back sound..but the overall sound signature is not pleasing for me as the D5000 and M50. the HD650 really don't supply the bass power and punchy sound i need in order to enjoy my music. the only genre i find them superb is classical which doesn't require an emphasised bass.
I would consider both M50 and D5000 a bassheads delights!
EDIT: ah..and as a general comparison i consider the M50 to be in the D5000 leage!
Edited by plonter - 6/8/10 at 10:27ampost #9 of 466/8/10 at 10:37am
another comment about the M50 bass, they go very deep. sometimes i feel that they dive even deeper than the D5000 but that's an illusion! the D5000 simply has a hump in the midbass which tends to mask the deep notes a little bit. the M50 don't have that big bump in the midbass so the deep notes is presented more clearly. at least that's what i am hearing.
i must say that i am totally in love with both my D5000 and M50..the difference is that the M50 don't cost 600$. but the D5000 got thier advantage in soundstage and treble.
Edited by plonter - 6/8/10 at 10:40ampost #10 of 466/8/10 at 11:14ampost #11 of 466/8/10 at 2:18pmpost #12 of 466/8/10 at 2:28pm
I had a pair of Grado and Shure cans before I got my M50's. I didn't like the lack of isolation on the Grado pair and didn't like the sound of the 440's to be honest. And I probably wouldn't appreciate my M50's sound if I hadn't gone through those. The thing about first pairs is your expectations are always very high. Let's hope yours aren't too high, otherwise it'll be the M50's that you think suck and a future expensive pair that matches your expectations.post #13 of 466/8/10 at 2:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by LurkerJeff
I had a pair of Grado and Shure cans before I got my M50's. I didn't like the lack of isolation on the Grado pair and didn't like the sound of the 440's to be honest. And I probably wouldn't appreciate my M50's sound if I hadn't gone through those. The thing about first pairs is your expectations are always very high. Let's hope yours aren't too high, otherwise it'll be the M50's that you think suck and a future expensive pair that matches your expectations.
I had high expectations from the M50 before i got them based on head fi reviews,and after i got them the results were even better than what i thought it would be, I was very pleasently surprised.post #14 of 466/8/10 at 4:21pm
My M50 should be here tomorrow. I'll A/B them with my Denon D1001. I might even pick up the Shure 840 from a local Head-Fi'er. Could they be the trilogy of (well) under $200 closed cans? Who's to say? It should be fun trying it out thought.
Congrats to you. :)
Peace,post #15 of 466/8/10 at 4:27pmQuote:
Exactly... me too.
Also, @ baka1969. I had the SRH840 and thought they were stellar. I though they had better sound (more natural, neutral and balanced) than the M50. But... I couldn't wear them. Too heavy and painful on my head (as opposed ot a hard clamp). Many feel the same. You may not have that issue. But they are wonderfull sounding. Really. If you can try them first, you should.
The M50's are fun and I wear mine a lot. They just reporduce music in a very enjoyable way. Not too bright, not tubular... very smooth and punchy.
- Audio Technica ATH-M50s
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 22 seconds ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 13 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Bighappy
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse