Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50 with 440/840 Pads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50 with 440/840 Pads - Page 4

post #46 of 94

Control is not the same thing.  It is tuneable so owners have the option which I think is great.

post #47 of 94

Just got the 840 pads thanks to this thread! 

Here are my impressions:

(reposted from http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494027/new-ath-m50/30#post_6850193)

 

 

They're here! I'm so excited. Sweetwater is all about customer service too! Free shipping, a personal phone call, great packaging, and they even threw in a copy of their magazine and some candy! All for $15...i'm impressed.

 

On to the pads - when i take off the stock pads and pinch them, they feel too firm in my opinion. The 840 pads are much more giving, they have a nice balance of firm and giving. Putting them on the M50s was really easy. Once on, they slide around a bit more than the stock pads, but this is in no way inconvenient, as they dont slide unless you pull them. The comfort is substantially better. The clamp feels slightly tighter, but more comfortable, as the pads comform to your head better because of their giving properties. With the extra clamp, they might isolate better, but my FAVORITE part is that they keep them on the same place on your head. My biggest complaint about the M50s was that they moved forwards and backwards on your head when you were nodding to the beat of some catchy electro song. The 840 pads completely fix this problem! 

 

So, in short, they both increase the clamp and the comfort, as ironic as that may sound. 

 

I highly recommend buying them as a cheap upgrade to your M50s. I was actually going to get the Pioneer HDJ-2000 headphones for $250 because of the comfort and lack of stability of these headphones, but getting the 840 pads was a much cheaper upgrade at just $15.

 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRH840Earpad/

post #48 of 94

How do the shure pads affect the sound?

post #49 of 94

I dont think they change the sound, other than maybe increasing the soundstage by lengthening the space in between the drivers and your ears. Thats just a theory, I haven't actually compared them. Don't buy them if you expect any improvement in the sound. Buy them if you aren't satisfied with the comfort of the stock pads.

post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetboy View Post

I dont think they change the sound, other than maybe increasing the soundstage by lengthening the space in between the drivers and your ears. Thats just a theory, I haven't actually compared them. Don't buy them if you expect any improvement in the sound. Buy them if you aren't satisfied with the comfort of the stock pads.

 

I meant does it change the frequency response like the dt250 pads do?  I'd imagine by being farther away from your ears you lose some mids or something.

post #51 of 94

Mine just came in, I'll let you know in a day or two.

post #52 of 94

Call me a freak or call me crazy, but, I personally like the sound of the stock M50 pads better than the 840 pads.

Since they were so inexpensive, I bought two pairs of M50's.

I bought two pairs mainly for experimental purposes like the pad swap talked about in this thread, the bass mod, etc. It makes it SO much easier to do effective head-to-head comparisons when you have two pairs of the same headphone! Its the only effective way to go, IMHO.

One has the stock pads, and I replaced the pads on the other pair with 840 pads.

I did extensive head-to-head testing for atleast two hours, and used a variety of different music.

To my ears the sound was brighter, alittle thinner, and more forward with the 840 pads. The brighter, thinner sound became annoying after a while.The bass also lost some of its extension and reach with the 840 pads.

On the other hand, the sound using the 840 pads was more spacious, and it brought the slightly recessed mids of the M50, more forward, and the bass wasn't as overpowering as it could be on certain tracks, which was an improvement. The 840 pads are also alittle more comfortable.

But,

As much as I wanted to like the sound with the 840 pads, I just could not.

I wound up putting the M50 pads back on my second pair. I think the M50 simply sounds better balanced with its own pads.

Get a couple of pairs of the M50's, and replace the pads on one of them with the 840 pads, and do a head-to-head, and see what your opinion is. Simply switching the pads back and forth on the same pair is not that effective, as I have found out. But two pairs is the easier way to make honest judgements.

I guess its because our audio memory is so short lived.

I may get flamed in this thread for this, but it is my honest opinion and my personal findings.


Edited by daltonlanny - 8/18/10 at 3:53am
post #53 of 94

I was unable to find any 840 pads in Europe except one in Canford.Uk but the shipping costs more than the pads themselves. Anyone found pads on ebay or somewhere else where there is cheap shipping worldwide?

post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonlanny View Post

Call me a freak or call me crazy, but, I personally like the sound of the stock M50 pads better than the 840 pads.

Since they were so inexpensive, I bought two pairs of M50's.

I bought two pairs mainly for experimental purposes like the pad swap talked about in this thread, the bass mod, etc. It makes it SO much easier to do effective head-to-head comparisons when you have two pairs of the same headphone! Its the only effective way to go, IMHO.

One has the stock pads, and I replaced the pads on the other pair with 840 pads.

I did extensive head-to-head testing for atleast two hours, and used a variety of different music.

To my ears the sound was brighter, alittle thinner, and more forward with the 840 pads. The brighter, thinner sound became annoying after a while.The bass also lost some of its extension and reach with the 840 pads.

On the other hand, the sound using the 840 pads was more spacious, and it brought the slightly recessed mids of the M50, more forward, and the bass wasn't as overpowering as it could be on certain tracks, which was an improvement. The 840 pads are also alittle more comfortable.

But,

As much as I wanted to like the sound with the 840 pads, I just could not.

I wound up putting the M50 pads back on my second pair. I think the M50 simply sounds better balanced with its own pads.

Get a couple of pairs of the M50's, and replace the pads on one of them with the 840 pads, and do a head-to-head, and see what your opinion is. Simply switching the pads back and forth on the same pair is not that effective, as I have found out. But two pairs is the easier way to make honest judgements.

I guess its because our audio memory is so short lived.

I may get flamed in this thread for this, but it is my honest opinion and my personal findings.


Lol!  I was just about to post something similar!  I tried the 840s out last night and was quite surprised by the result.  Less bass extension and texture, thinner sound, more air and space, treble even sounded more muffled a bit.  It had lost its M50 character and quality.  I was wondering if maybe some psychoacoustic affect was going on so I put the stock pads back on.  Yup, the M50 was back, no doubt about it.  I'm glad I was able to tell the difference w/ only one M50 and the elapsed time between changing pads.  I guess I'm not as susceptible to psychoacoustics as some would like to believe.  Which is good because I deliberately try to avoid it.  I was going to try running them for a few days to see if perhaps a better mold to my head or conditioning of the pads would help.  

 

Glad to see you had the exact same experience I did.  Thats as close to science as we can get around these parts.  I'll end up trying to see what else I can use these pads on.

post #55 of 94

Wow, now I'm starting to have doubts. 

No-one where I live has the M50 so I cant do a true comparison between the two. Strange that you both agree it effects the sound. I guess I'll have to try and listen to the same song over and over while switching the pads. I really hope I don't hear a difference, because I'm getting used to the comfortable Shure pads.

post #56 of 94

Tried the stock pads again, cant go back. The 840's are too comfy. I don't think it detracts from the sound in any way.

post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetboy View Post

Tried the stock pads again, cant go back. The 840's are too comfy. I don't think it detracts from the sound in any way.


You are lucky you can't hear the difference.  The 840s aren't comfy enough for me to go back to, on the M50 at least.  Too big a difference in SQ for me.  Curiously, what's your source?

post #58 of 94

Cowon S9 playing FLAC. As I said before, I havent compared two pairs of M50s with each pair of pads, but from switching them out a couple times, I don't notice any difference. I'm sure there is a subtle difference in sound with any headphone if you change the pads. I'm not saying there isn't one, only that the difference isn't noticeable and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the music.

 

My theory is that my ears have adapted to the sound of the M50s with 840 pads, while yours are used to the sound with the stock pads. So, for you, the change in sound is both more noticeable and negative because your not used to it. Like psychological burn-in with new headphones, they sound bad until you get used to them.

 

I propose a challenge. Listen to your M50 with the 840 pads for a week. Then you can objectively say there is a negative change in the sound. I am not disagreeing that there is a sound difference, only saying that it doesn't sound worse to my ears. 

post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetboy View Post

 

I propose a challenge. Listen to your M50 with the 840 pads for a week. Then you can objectively say there is a negative change in the sound. I am not disagreeing that there is a sound difference, only saying that it doesn't sound worse to my ears. 


Actually the opposite would be true.  More time increases the affect of psychoacoustics which makes your conclusions less objective but more subjective.  I don't do brain burn-in.  I already went through changing the pads 4xs and heard enough to make my conclusion.  You also have another user reporting the same thing.  I'm still holding on to the pads though for something else perhaps.  It doesn't make it sound bad, it just doesn't sound like the M50 any more.  Perhaps my source and amp let me hear the differences more clearly.  If you ever have a chance to amp your M50, try it out.  

post #60 of 94

Yeah, your right about the objective thing. But neither of us are really objective here, if you think about. You have done "brain burn-in" with your M50, as I have done with mine. I have no doubt that there is a change in the sound. But, as you said, the change "doesn't make it sound bad, it just doesn't sound like the M50 anymore".

 

We've been having a violent agreement. Basically, I agree with you, but we have different priorities. You want your M50 to sound like an M50, and I want my M50 to be comfortable and still sound good to my ears. So yeah its pointless to go on with this from here. 

 

 

 

On another note, what do people around here have, straight or coiled?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50 with 440/840 Pads