Aren't the 840 pads made of the same material as the M50 pads?
Related Forum Threads
- ATH m50 vs SHR840 Last post on 9/1/10 at 7:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure srh840 or Audio-Techiniqa M50 Last post on 7/24/10 at 12:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- POLL: ATH-M50 vs Shure SRH840 Last post on 8/24/10 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or Shure SRH840 Last post on 9/14/10 at 12:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Introduction help deciding Last post on 9/5/10 at 3:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/6/13
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
M50 with 440/840 Pads - Page 2post #16 of 946/19/10 at 12:12am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 946/19/10 at 1:11ampost #18 of 946/19/10 at 2:06ampost #19 of 946/19/10 at 12:09pmpost #20 of 946/19/10 at 1:08pm
That's hard to say, they're both made from some sort of plastic leather. There are a lot of different compositions for plastic however and the surface of the shure pads don't feel the same as the at pads. The main reason to go with the new 840 pads is the increased comfort, they have a larger circumference and deeper/softer pads.post #21 of 946/19/10 at 1:27pmpost #22 of 946/20/10 at 1:55pmpost #23 of 946/20/10 at 2:09pmpost #24 of 946/20/10 at 3:33pmpost #25 of 946/20/10 at 4:20pmpost #26 of 946/20/10 at 11:08pm
Has anyone noticed a difference in sound with the 840 pads? Please give it a critical listen for me. I tried the beyer dt250 pads a while ago and they disgusted me with a horrible perversion of the frequency response. I tried to get used to them, but they messed up the freq. response way too much. The beyer pads have been sitting in my drawer since then.post #27 of 946/21/10 at 7:38pmThread Starter
Yes. Compared to the M50 pads the 440 pads open up the soundstage, decrease the bass a bit (some might say they refine the bass) and increase the mids. The 840 pads open up the soundstage as well but to a lesser degree than the 440 pads but maintain the bass. I'd say you might notice a slight increase in mids as well with the 840 pads.
These are my initial reactions to both pads anyways.
Keep in mind that I have "balance mod" in place
So it goes without saying that "results may vary." ;)post #28 of 947/27/10 at 12:04pmpost #29 of 947/28/10 at 8:32ampost #30 of 947/28/10 at 8:51am
since the 840s i have came with an extra set, i might have to try this.
i didn't really find that the "balance mod" did anything, to my ears anyway.
so, this will be a final effort to coerce some midrange out of the m50s before offloading them...
- M50 with 440/840 Pads
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › Stax Lambda Nova Classic 39 seconds ago
- › I tried B&O and it seems like it lacks bass very much 58 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT880 amp/dac 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 1 minute ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 2 minutes ago
- › AMR DP777 vs Auralic Vega vs Exasound E20 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi