New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone ES5 - Page 365

post #5461 of 5543

Is that the "emerald green" shell? Looks cool! Maybe I should have gone for the green shell after all.

 

Ah well. 3 weeks was my quote, so I'm anxiously waiting for December 6 to get here. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds will help alleviate the wait at least.

post #5462 of 5543
Has anyone been able to demo the ES5 vs. the Shure SE846?

My dog ate 1/2 of my current SE535s, and am considering either the 846s or stepping into customs with Westone. I'm looking for more detail, better treble extension, and tighter bass compared to the 535. I've been through this whole thread, and the ES5s sound like they will match my needs, but need to sanity check against my happy 3+ years with Shure!

Thanks
post #5463 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaruslong View Post

Has anyone been able to demo the ES5 vs. the Shure SE846?

My dog ate 1/2 of my current SE535s, and am considering either the 846s or stepping into customs with Westone. I'm looking for more detail, better treble extension, and tighter bass compared to the 535. I've been through this whole thread, and the ES5s sound like they will match my needs, but need to sanity check against my happy 3+ years with Shure!

Thanks


Sorry for your SE535s, i have only heard the 535s for a brief period of time but i can say that yes the es5s is a step up in mids and the bass is definitely tighter, however i dont know about the highs, they are rolled off but the sound overall is very smooth and despite the rolled off treble i feel that the es5s are still some of the best customs you get to date, i actually prefer my es5s over the more technically capable jh13, it is very musical in its own way. However if you prefer the shure house sound, the 846 will suit you fine as well XD

post #5464 of 5543

Mini review:

 

(I got them on Friday, and they hardly left my ears from that time until now, minus a few hours of college classes and driving).

 

I don't really have other high end iems to compare them too, except that I have heard the UERM, but not A/B'ed with my ES5. To my ears, the UERM were very similar to the HD-800 and I liked them a lot (Very flat). My most used headphones by far are HE-500s with velour pads, so I will be comparing them to those. 

 

When I first put them on, they really didn't blow me out of the water completely (Almost no cans do now, TBH), and they felt a little treble light. They REALLY start to grow on you though, and before I knew it (a few days), when I went back to my HE-500, they sounded thin and scratchy...

 

As many people say, they really do sound lush and warm, and the treble is rolled off for sure. But is that a bad thing? No. Anyone who thinks these headphones sound neutral is probably used to even more colored headphones.

 

The biggest reason I absolutely love this headphone is how smooth it is. It is so non-fatiguing and coherent, that when going back to my HE-500s, the ES5 really feel like a step up. A different league.

 

These headphones have taught me to appreciate having a warmer tonal balance. They aren't overly colored, and the detail in the treble is still all there. They just lack an edge to the treble that some people desire - a few people I have talked to have sold their ES5 for JH13/UERM and this is probably the biggest reason. For me, this only effected me when listening to rock, because it did not have the vicious treble attack I like when listening to rock. I personally normally only really listen to medium-very high BPM electronic music, and these sound amazingly wonderful for any EDM genre, IMO. Overall I consider these superior to the HE-500s in many ways. They are faster, and can keep up with intricate songs more effortlessly. They don't need an amp to preform well, and are sooo silky smooth. They are also, admittedly, more forgiving to music. For example, using my HE-500s In ABX tests via foorbar, I can tell an MP3 song from a FLAC song 100% of the time. 400 AAC is much more transparent and I can only tell the difference roughly 70% of the time. With the ES5s, I could only tell a 320 MP3 roughly 75% of the time, whilst the 400 AAC was nearly impossible to tell. For me, this is a good thing because for mobile use my music is almost all ripped to 400 kbps AAC. Keep in mind that if I eq treble up on the ES5, it is easier to tell the difference in ABX tests. (For me, in ABX tests, the giveaway is more often than not the sharpness of the treble).

 

If this matters for anyone, the ES5 have better positional audio when playing video games that require positional audio, when compared to the HE-500. I would say their sound stage is comparable to the HE-500s too. They sound quite open.

 

Overall though I have grown to love the ES5, so much that I will probably end up selling my HE-500s

 

ES5 FR Graph

HE-500 FR Graph

 

 

 I didn't post this until now so it wouldn't effect your view of my words. Also, until yesterday, I didn't even look at the graphs. I came to these conclusions before even seeing the graphs, but it more or less confirms what I have said about the tonal balance.

 

Overall, I think that ES5s are a great headphone, granted you are okay with having a more "musical" sound signature. They have pushed me away from preferring a flat response, and really do make the music feel more lively. They are euphoric to listen to :ksc75smile:.

post #5465 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdacow View Post


Sorry for your SE535s, i have only heard the 535s for a brief period of time but i can say that yes the es5s is a step up in mids and the bass is definitely tighter, however i dont know about the highs, they are rolled off but the sound overall is very smooth and despite the rolled off treble i feel that the es5s are still some of the best customs you get to date, i actually prefer my es5s over the more technically capable jh13, it is very musical in its own way. However if you prefer the shure house sound, the 846 will suit you fine as well XD

Appreciate the reply. You can't stay mad at puppies, even if they destroy your expensive toys!

Glad to hear about the mids and bass. I'm curious about your comment on rolled off highs. The SE535 and 530s I had before are absolutely lacking here, and I want my next buys to extend much further into the high end. In your opinion, aside from the increased treble quality on the ES5, how is the extension compared to the Shures?
post #5466 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdumper View Post
 

Mini review:

 

(I got them on Friday, and they hardly left my ears from that time until now, minus a few hours of college classes and driving).

 

...

 

 I didn't post this until now so it wouldn't effect your view of my words. Also, until yesterday, I didn't even look at the graphs. I came to these conclusions before even seeing the graphs, but it more or less confirms what I have said about the tonal balance.

 

Overall, I think that ES5s are a great headphone, granted you are okay with having a more "musical" sound signature. They have pushed me away from preferring a flat response, and really do make the music feel more lively. They are euphoric to listen to :ksc75smile:.

 

I agree totally with your review.  I also recently got ES5s (about 3 weeks ago, as mentioned above).  Right off I noticed that they weren't totally flat, having a frequency bump in the mid-bass (around 150 hz) and another one in the 2K range (mids, in the vocal range).   The graphs match what my ears were hearing.

 

But the more I've listened to them, the more natural they sound, as I think my brain is adjusting to them.  And they have the most detail of any "warm" 'phone I've ever heard.  The mix of impact, warmth, and detail is quite addictive actually.  I've been listening roughly 2 hours a day since I got them, and definitely tend to think "just one more song before I go do something productive" for at least 5 songs before I stop listening.

 

The only con I can think of is that they are REALLY sensitive, which means they need an amp, not because they need to be louder, but because direct out my phone or my tablet I can hear the RF of the modem mixed with the music.  I've gotten great sound with the iBasso D10, and also just a Fiio E5 ($25 amp) as a buffer of the headphone jack to lower the noise floor.

 

My two cents...

post #5467 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post

But the more I've listened to them, the more natural they sound, as I think my brain is adjusting to them.  And they have the most detail of any "warm" 'phone I've ever heard.  The mix of impact, warmth, and detail is quite addictive actually.  I've been listening roughly 2 hours a day since I got them, and definitely tend to think "just one more song before I go do something productive" for at least 5 songs before I stop listening.

The only con I can think of is that they are REALLY sensitive, which means they need an amp, not because they need to be louder, but because direct out my phone or my tablet I can hear the RF of the modem mixed with the music.  I've gotten great sound with the iBasso D10, and also just a Fiio E5 ($25 amp) as a buffer of the headphone jack to lower the noise floor.

My two cents...

I agree with those points too, but with my iPhone 4s they are practically silent. In contrast to this, the iPhone 4 has a decent amount of noise, and my desktop amp is somewhere inbetween the too, more leaning towrds the silent side.
post #5468 of 5543

For what it's worth, my iPhone 5s drives my ES5 extremely well. I had an iPhone 5 and a 4 before getting my 5s. It's been a while since I listened to the 4, which I know was excellent at driving my ES5, but the 5 was the worst of the three. From what I remember the 4 sounding like, I would give the nod to the 5s. I don't know if there are measurements for it yet, but I don't really care. To my ear, it is a fantastic performer.

post #5469 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaruslong View Post


Appreciate the reply. You can't stay mad at puppies, even if they destroy your expensive toys!

Glad to hear about the mids and bass. I'm curious about your comment on rolled off highs. The SE535 and 530s I had before are absolutely lacking here, and I want my next buys to extend much further into the high end. In your opinion, aside from the increased treble quality on the ES5, how is the extension compared to the Shures?


Well definately more present than the shures but as for treble extension i really cant say as i have not spent enough time with the 530.

post #5470 of 5543

Did anyone see that an improved ES5, the ES50, is coming out? Jude has one and mentions it in the Winter Guide:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-in-ear-headphones

post #5471 of 5543
waiting for his impressions on them.

....
post #5472 of 5543

oh well, guess i'll stick with the es5 now that I have it on order :(

post #5473 of 5543

Maybe only the cable is changed to MMCX while everything else remains the same (like what happened to the W and UM series).

post #5474 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 

Did anyone see that an improved ES5, the ES50, is coming out? Jude has one and mentions it in the Winter Guide:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-in-ear-headphones

I had no idea about the ES50. I was thinking about getting the ES5 as my next custom but this may change things since price is more or less t he same.

post #5475 of 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
 

Maybe only the cable is changed to MMCX while everything else remains the same (like what happened to the W and UM series).

That's what variphone ( EU distributor of westone) told me when I just mailed them about the difference between the 2.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: