New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone ES5 - Page 347

post #5191 of 5546

finally got  my ES-5 delivered , truly beautifully sounded - looking regular_smile%20.gif

post #5192 of 5546

Damn, those look very beautiful, really unique! How's your fit?

 

Congrats and welcome to the club haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remddd View Post

finally got  my ES-5 delivered , truly beautifully sounded - looking regular_smile%20.gif

post #5193 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Damn, those look very beautiful, really unique! How's your fit?

 

Congrats and welcome to the club haha.

Thank you ! )

 

They fit ok, i dont feel any problem or something. the only point is total sound isolation, i am forgetting sometimes  that i am walking on the street , naturaly while i am listening the music i want to close eyes and often forgeting where i am until open them, i dont hear even tram passing by )

post #5194 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remddd View Post

Thank you ! )

They fit ok, i dont feel any problem or something. the only point is total sound isolation, i am forgetting sometimes  that i am walking on the street , naturaly while i am listening the music i want to close eyes and often forgeting where i am until open them, i dont hear even tram passing by )

Most people wouldn't call that a problem with the ES5, it's a problem with your environment. Looking forward to the rest of your impressions.
post #5195 of 5546

Damn world, why do you have to be in the way of everything! My ES5 does that to me sometimes too. It's out to get me... sos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remddd View Post

Thank you ! )

 

They fit ok, i dont feel any problem or something. the only point is total sound isolation, i am forgetting sometimes  that i am walking on the street , naturaly while i am listening the music i want to close eyes and often forgeting where i am until open them, i dont hear even tram passing by )

post #5196 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remddd View Post

Thank you ! )

 

They fit ok, i dont feel any problem or something. the only point is total sound isolation, i am forgetting sometimes  that i am walking on the street , naturaly while i am listening the music i want to close eyes and often forgeting where i am until open them, i dont hear even tram passing by )

 

Really? I wish I had even more isolation. I guess it really depends on the person and his/her situation/preference/etc. Personally I find the experience totally amazing when there's a lot of people around you and you know it's supposed to be noisy as heck but all you hear is sweet music with the ES5's on.

post #5197 of 5546

Guys I've been a/bing with my W4R, and I'm finding the W4R to have better extension and clarity in the highs as compared to my new ES5s. Cymbals seem to have more air and shimmer on the W4R. Is this normal? Can anyone attest to this? I think this is also exacerbated by the thicker overall note of the ES5.

 

Will burn in really help? I've only bout 10hrs on them. Feeling kinda bummed out now. :/

 

I've read that a pico slim can brighten things up.. but I'm not really keen on spending anymore dough after such a big purchase. Sigh

post #5198 of 5546

I have heard the W4R, and I'm going to just put it out there curtly and say you're just too used to too much treble, and not an overall balanced sound. It's either that, or your fit is bad. Most honest unbiased people with a reasonable amount of experience with many other high-end headphones, IEM or full sized, will tell you that W4/R does NOT sound as if it's the best sounding thing out there, like what the reviews here on head-fi suggest. I see reviews filled with glorious accolade, "liquid mids," "outstanding detail," etc. etc. which quite successfully enrages me; it's almost as bad as cable reviews making it seem like they make a complete night and day difference, as if the sonic signature was completely altered to cater their needs. Exaggeration at its finest. I'm willing to bet all this is because of some sort of need to self-justify purchases, or just to reap Head-Fi karma. This is why you see complete polar opposite reviews and impressions of the W4/R.

 

No offense intended. My rant is directed towards the general Head-Fi public.

 

Here are two examples. Two Headphoneus Supremuses who have no reasons or intensions to falsely claim anything. Read through the thread. You'll find a pattern: most people trying to convince them that W4 is not as bad as they hear it is say to 1. give it more time, 2. burn it in, 3. get used to the sound. One Headphoneus Supremus tells the guy to give it more time to grow on him; if you look at his gear list, and his system, you'll probably understand why he's telling him this BS. Anyone can get used to any sound, and at some point that will become their reference point... However, we're talking about actual inherently superior sound.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570821/westone-4-disappointment#post_7739257

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570821/westone-4-disappointment/15#post_7740034

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogumagnus View Post

Guys I've been a/bing with my W4R, and I'm finding the W4R to have better extension and clarity in the highs as compared to my new ES5s. Cymbals seem to have more air and shimmer on the W4R. Is this normal? Can anyone attest to this? I think this is also exacerbated by the thicker overall note of the ES5.

 

Will burn in really help? I've only bout 10hrs on them. Feeling kinda bummed out now. :/

 

I've read that a pico slim can brighten things up.. but I'm not really keen on spending anymore dough after such a big purchase. Sigh

 

 

One thing I might add is that I did find the ES5 a bit muffled up top. I fixed that with an inherently transparent, non-coloring, cable. I do not prefer to change the tuned signature I paid $1000 for with external factors like amps and EQ. In your case, Westone's stock cable is a piece of garbage, in my opinion. Burn in is really not needed for the ES5, I didn't notice a change at all.


Edited by Girls Generation - 9/20/12 at 11:54pm
post #5199 of 5546

Nope, W4 does nothing better IME.  Keep listening for a few weeks to make sure the vinyl tips and your ears mate well.  Do the sound tubes match up w/ the bores?  You should be able to look down the bores and see the sound tubes.  

 

Does the DX100 have a low output Z?  I forget.

post #5200 of 5546

For me, I can hear more bass details in my ES5 than my W4R. Perhaps that's why you think that the W4R has better trebles and highs than the ES5. 

post #5201 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

I have heard the W4R, and I'm going to just put it out there curtly and say you're just too used to too much treble, and not an overall balanced sound. It's either that, or your fit is bad. 

 

One thing I might add is that I did find the ES5 a bit muffled up top. I fixed that with an inherently transparent, non-coloring, cable. I do not prefer to change the tuned signature I paid $1000 for with external factors like amps and EQ. In your case, Westone's stock cable is a piece of garbage, in my opinion. Burn in is really not needed for the ES5, I didn't notice a change at all.

You're probably right on me being used to W4's sound. Thanks for the input. Comforting to know that I'm not the only one hearing a slight tameness in the highs. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Nope, W4 does nothing better IME.  Keep listening for a few weeks to make sure the vinyl tips and your ears mate well.  Do the sound tubes match up w/ the bores?  You should be able to look down the bores and see the sound tubes.  

 

Does the DX100 have a low output Z?  I forget.

 

I think they fit well. Sound tubes are matching up.

 
I should state that on the whole I still prefer the ES5s. Todays a/bing revealed alot of the ES5's edge over the W4. It's only the highs that I feel slightly lacking comparatively speaking, or perhaps need getting used to.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl View Post

For me, I can hear more bass details in my ES5 than my W4R. Perhaps that's why you think that the W4R has better trebles and highs than the ES5. 

Hm. maybe? But detailed bass i definitely agree beerchug.gif


Edited by mogumagnus - 9/21/12 at 6:09am
post #5202 of 5546

You have to change the cable. I bought the poison toxic cables and that made all the difference in the world. I found that the sound of the ES5 also improved when I bought the ALO RXMark3B amp which you can dial in the amount of bass that you want.
 

post #5203 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm48324 View Post

You have to change the cable. I bought the poison toxic cables and that made all the difference in the world. I found that the sound of the ES5 also improved when I bought the ALO RXMark3B amp which you can dial in the amount of bass that you want.
 

 

Do you have any noticeable hiss on yours and is the gain lowered or stock?

post #5204 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm48324 View Post

I bought the poison toxic cables and that made all the difference in the world.

A bit of an overstatement there.
post #5205 of 5546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

A bit of an overstatement there.
I agree, while the difference is very noticeable however, a cable is only a refinement to the sound. It does not make as big a difference as an amp, dac or source. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: