I'm so confused. I've heard both and JH13 is a lot more energetic and bright. ES5 decay is slower, and highs are not as extended. Has more mid emphasis than JH13 sure, but not the highs. o_O
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 6/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/16/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/16/10
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/18/11
- brandWestonetagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWestone ES3Xtagged by System, 8/4/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 6/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? Last post on 7/9/15 at 11:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread! Last post on 3/23/14 at 9:07pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thunderpants vs Custom IEMS Last post on 3/24/12 at 9:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
Westone ES5 - Page 345post #5161 of 55499/13/12 at 11:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5162 of 55499/14/12 at 2:43ampost #5163 of 55499/14/12 at 3:37am
Received my ES5 refit. Much better result this time, no loss of seal or change in isolation when I open my mouth. Only loses seal when I smile reeeally wide. Think I'm gonna let that be.
Right tip is slightly longer, and I suspect that's why it doesn't disappear in the ear sensation wise quite as well as the left. But overall still comfortable.
Getting used to the thicker mids. Mids sound similar to um3x if memory serves me well. Every spectrum sounds more foward than my W4. Makes W4 sound overly polite. No cringing at all, unlike the JH13/16. Yup. I definitely have to agree the JHs are much brighter.
Edited by mogumagnus - 9/20/12 at 10:37pmpost #5164 of 55499/14/12 at 7:51am
I just received my new toxic silver cables for the ES5. The toxic are replacing the silver dragons that I was using. I am crazy about these new cables. The cables have warmth and detail, smoothness and the tonality is fantastic. The difference is night and day between these two cables. My ES5 are elevated in sound going through Cypher Labs Solo and my alo audio RX3B amp. I also replaced the wire between the amp and solo as well as the wire to the I Phone. The sound elevated as each new wire was used. These wires are cryo. treated and I can't wait until I get 100 hours on these.post #5165 of 55499/14/12 at 8:51am
I wouldn't go as far as call it a "night and day" difference, but I'm glad the cables work for you. :) I have yet to really hear a difference with a mini-mini when DBTing.Quote:Originally Posted by Jwm48324
I just received my new toxic silver cables for the ES5. The toxic are replacing the silver dragons that I was using. I am crazy about these new cables. The cables have warmth and detail, smoothness and the tonality is fantastic. The difference is night and day between these two cables. My ES5 are elevated in sound going through Cypher Labs Solo and my alo audio RX3B amp. I also replaced the wire between the amp and solo as well as the wire to the I Phone. The sound elevated as each new wire was used. These wires are cryo. treated and I can't wait until I get 100 hours on these.post #5166 of 55499/14/12 at 11:26ampost #5167 of 55499/14/12 at 2:28pmpost #5168 of 55499/15/12 at 9:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by Anaxilus
Did you guys all go to the same audiologist for impressions? Your impression is definitely in the minority here confirmed by the few measurements we've seen. No way is a JH13 less treble emphasized than an ES5. I've even talked to the design engineer who made the ES5 specifically in regards to the JH13 signature. The JH13 is even brighter than the UERM and the UERM is brighter than the ES5. Your fit is bad or the phones are broken or Westone changed the signature without telling anyone. Let me ask around to confirm something just in case.
You should see my sig and profile to see what phones I have or used in the past. Though I stopped updating it about a year ago.
I think my JH13Pro have a similar amount of treble quantity and extension as my ES5, which is improved over my ES3X. The ES5 mids are a little more elevated than the JH13pro, and the bass extension is about the same. Where they differ in the bass is the ES5 have more mid-upper bass, and the JH13Pro have a little more lower and deep bass.post #5169 of 55499/16/12 at 12:57amQuote:But the es5s have a more recessed/laidback and smoother treble than the jh13s. Not lacking by any means but I do notice that cymbals are more recessed on the es5s as compared to my jh13s.Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
I think my JH13Pro have a similar amount of treble quantity and extension as my ES5, which is improved over my ES3X. The ES5 mids are a little more elevated than the JH13pro, and the bass extension is about the same. Where they differ in the bass is the ES5 have more mid-upper bass, and the JH13Pro have a little more lower and deep bass.post #5170 of 55499/16/12 at 2:08amQuote:
I don't hear it that way with my pair, likely due to a different fit and ear canal depth.post #5171 of 55499/16/12 at 2:50ampost #5172 of 55499/16/12 at 3:25am
hi guys, you all have been very helpful and I thank you heaps for this
i will soon take the plunge in purchasing the Westone ES5's
however I have few concerns in regards to overall fitment of the product by which
I will be keen to use every day(not professional usage, just a bit of an audiophile),
What tips or advice should I be told about in regards to getting the correct fitment?
Should I request to have the ear canal slightly longer and thicker?
Should I bite and tense my cheek to get a wider ear diameter when getting impression done?
I want to have them best fitting as possible without popping when I swallow or chew
or smile very big. I do not want them too loose where I loose the isolation factor or
Not too tight to the point I'm conscious they are there and my ear gets irritated and fatigued.
I would like the best possible fit with least irritation,
as my ears whinge over the most little disturbances and are very naggy,
therefore can you please recommend me any tips or advice to take aboard in regards
to the fitment and ear impression process, or any extra request for slight modification I should inform
Westone about prior to having these babies molded for the best possible fit?
I want to be correct on the fitment and prevent the inconvenience of having a refit and re-shell due to crappy location
and limited authorized Westone dealers as it would simply take more money and time.
Thanks again guyspost #5173 of 55499/16/12 at 5:15pm
Ask around for a reputable audiologist that knows what they are doing when it comes to Westone and IEMs. There should be one around you, update your profile with your location and someone might help you out. I would go as far as driving a few hundred miles to see the right person...
Relax your mouth and face, use a bite block. I was told to open my mouth as far as I was comfortable and bite down on a block that had many gradations. I just bit down on the gradation that was slightly smaller than my largest mouth opening. Don't talk, move, smile. laugh while the gel is curing.
Audiologist should inspect your ear and shove a piece of trimmed foam in as deep as it will go into each ear. Mine was so deep on the right hand side that it hurt a little and was quite uncomfortable. When the silicon sets and the audiologist removes the mould, it should sort of "pop" out. Not literally a popping sound, but you should have the sensation that your whole ear had something in it all the way to the tip when it gets removed.
Lastly, because the tips on the ES5's flex quite a far bit, I wouldn't be too worried about an uncomfortable fit in the first week or two of use. Provided the audiologist did a good job, the fit should be right and it will be a matter of tip angles and movement, as well as you getting used to inserting them correctly and removing them correctly without disturbing the tips too much. After 4 weeks of constant use, mine are a perfect fit but early on I really thought I had to return my right ear for remould. I am glad I didn't. Just take your time with them and don't be too hasty (again provided the audiologist did a good job to begin with.) Also I feel that too deep of a fit can be problematic if the sound tubes for some reason are not pointing in the right direction (towards your eardrum).
Good luck!post #5174 of 55499/16/12 at 11:24pm
Except even with a lowly iPhone 4S or iPod Nano my sonic impressions don't match his.post #5175 of 55499/17/12 at 3:48am
Guys i know that this most likely is kinda off topic but i cld not find a thread for this but anyway here it goes, How do Custom IEMs fair for gaming? Not just the ES5s, it can be any custom. And are they better than gaming headsets? Thanks GuysReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 7 seconds ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - Zn (formerly Alto) + FORZA -... 23 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Last buy .... old Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm ... any opinion ? 1 minute ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3