Yes it shouldn't hurt. The musician's fit is the longer and thicker canals because when we open our mouth to sing ah, etc. the seal will not pop. I find this only effective if I do not use the ES5s every day, which will temporarily shape my ear canals so it will adjust to the thickness of the ES5s...
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 6/30/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/16/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/16/10
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/18/11
- brandWestonetagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWestone ES3Xtagged by System, 8/4/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 6/14/10
Related Forum Threads
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? Last post on 1/30/15 at 9:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Dream Earz aud-5X Custom IEM Review: Pure Value @ $565 - Also the appreciation thread! Last post on 3/23/14 at 9:07pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thunderpants vs Custom IEMS Last post on 3/24/12 at 9:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 3/10/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
TTPOD T1E Review Background Be using me Fiio X3 for this review ......fosho' this purple jet pack is one sexy lookin' IEM .....housing is big but could be a problem for some with the...
The PM3 is Oppo's 3rd headphone offering, a closed back planar magnetic. Thank you to @Jiffy Squid and Oppo for allowing us Head-fiers to audition these at the comfort of our own home and time,...
How much more can we possibly hear? At some point audio, and personal audio by default, becomes a continual series of efforts to throw oneself over the walls of the physical world. We try...
Before reading below, please check out my video review of the Focal XS 2.1 Satellites on YouTube. Please also support the channel by liking the video and sharing it with your friends! A sub won't...
Westone ES5 - Page 342post #5116 of 55469/1/12 at 10:45am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5117 of 55469/1/12 at 11:52ampost #5118 of 55469/1/12 at 8:01pmHow would pics tel you if it was a good or bad fit? As I said I don't really care about the look anymore.
The info on the deep ones seems incongruent. I think I could get used todeeper ones though. I think one reason why it's popping when I move it because its just not deep enough a seal. And they don't hurt at all when I wear them. I took 3 days of casual usage to get used to them so I think my canals could afford more abusepost #5119 of 55469/1/12 at 10:15pm
Candy purple colored ES5 monitors arrived yesterday !
Heres the pic :
I had trouble wearing them initially but I think I got it now. Thanks to my audiologist who helped out. And Dale Douglas (Westone's) NAMM video on youtube. I have no frame of reference since these are my first CIEMs but heres my impressions :
The sound is awesome ! I can hear stuff so much clearer. These IEMs are much better than my studio monitors and I can hear my guitar tone much better and confidently tweak the settings on my guitar amp modeler. They seem pretty comfortable once worn. But I am having a hard time removing them. Fortunately I was successful every time :-). I tried following all the instructions by the audiologist and youtube vids (rotate forward, wiggle on the way out etc) but it is painful to get them out. From the pic, you can tell that they made it pretty deep. Also I was surprised to see that the part that goes into the ear canal is pretty thick. My audiologist tells me that my ear canals are big !
I am thinking of taking them back and asking them to make them a bit shallow.
Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks !post #5120 of 55469/1/12 at 10:21pm
Try to live w/ them off and on for a week, week and half then decide. Getting them out was a big WTH do I do moment at first. Now it's second nature. Do give your ears at least 2 days off somewhere in the middle to acclimate and build muscle tone.
If you bleed, you might need a refit.post #5121 of 55469/1/12 at 10:24pmpost #5122 of 55469/1/12 at 10:35pmpost #5123 of 55469/1/12 at 11:04pm
Now full disclosure: It was only when I shortened my ES5 tips that my endless suction / vacuum problems were solved. Definitely YMMV.
Perhaps you have never seen true dual bore ES5s before. Well here they are:
They are still pretty deep (but definitely shorter than before the mod):
I discussed the materials that I used to shorten the tips in another thread here.
Edited by cooperpwc - 9/1/12 at 11:09pmpost #5124 of 55469/1/12 at 11:08pm
When I first got my pair, I was sure I needed to return the right ear for a refit. The problem is the tips move quite a fair bit which sometimes from factory or for whatever reason it has moved and doesn't give a good fit. After 2 weeks it felt a little better, fit was OK 50% of the time. After 3 weeks fit was fantastic 50% of the time, 25% OK and other 25% not good. After 4 weeks something happened and it is now 100% perfect fit. I mean 100% everytime and always. I worked out how to insert them properly and remove then properly to ensure they fit every time. Now it is magnificent fit every time.
So it may pay to give it some time provided that your audiologist did a great job to begin with.post #5125 of 55469/1/12 at 11:14pmpost #5126 of 55469/2/12 at 1:01amYeah I self modified my tips on right side to be a tiny bit shorter too...
Morale of the story is every ear is unique and your mileage Will Definately vary
Edited by Lillee - 9/2/12 at 1:03ampost #5127 of 55469/3/12 at 6:57pmThe more I use the ES5's, the more convinced I become that no other in ear or full size provides so many pros relative to the number of cons. Deep, expansive soundstage - check, clarity and transparency - check, immersive and musical- CHECK!, ability to reproduce deep bass (sub 40 hz) - check - add to this an incomparable level of isolation and great comfort! Apart from the sometimes overly reverberant and forward mids (I seem to prefer the drier and more laidback mids of the LCD's and UM Miracles) I can't really fault them. Sometimes there is a little congestion on the most demanding of passages that my UERM' and Miracles handle more delicately, but as a totality I can't think of anything I'd rather listen to on my daily commutes. I'm always surprised, when considering their signature, how detailed these monsters are!post #5128 of 55469/4/12 at 12:31am
I can definitely relate to you on this one. :( And it's elegant presentation. But there are some parts where the ES5 beats the LCD2s which is why I chose to keep both.post #5129 of 55469/4/12 at 11:57am
Hey guys! I'm going in to get my impressions today. SO EXCITED.
Wanted to ask if anyone had recommendations on aftermarket cables??? -- I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but just wondered what everyone else was using? LET ME KNOW!Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 43 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 50 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Armaegis
- › Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System by spronkey
- › MDR-XD 150 W weiß by whitemass
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2