Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) - Page 5

post #61 of 1140
ANZ
post #62 of 1140

Could I trouble someone to provide me with the external dimensions of this DAC as they are not published at the website. Thanks. smile.gif

post #63 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post

Could I trouble someone to provide me with the external dimensions of this DAC as they are not published at the website. Thanks. smile.gif


I will have to get out my ruler tape its about 12 inches long by about 9 inches wide approx may I ask why you care what size it is its not a huge dac its bigger than the Shiit Lyr if thats a comparison point..
post #64 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post

Could I trouble someone to provide me with the external dimensions of this DAC as they are not published at the website. Thanks. smile.gif


I will have to get out my ruler tape its about 12 inches wide by about 9 inches long 4 inches depth approx may I ask why you care what size it is its not a huge dac its bigger than the Shiit Lyr if thats a comparison point..
post #65 of 1140
The MInimax in stock form without mods sounds awesome I tried out about 10 DAC's before deciding on this one with the Sabre32 chip it really shines and with the abiliity to switch betwen tube and solid state relaly sold me and the ability to mod it
made the case
post #66 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post

Could I trouble someone to provide me with the external dimensions of this DAC as they are not published at the website. Thanks. smile.gif




I will have to get out my ruler tape its about 12 inches wide by about 9 inches long 4 inches depth approx may I ask why you care what size it is its not a huge dac its bigger than the Shiit Lyr if thats a comparison point..


 


The DAC will be sitting on my desktop where space is already at a premium. So the more compact the better. Obviously sound is the primary objective but a smaller foot print would be welcome. I've also been looking at the Audio-gd range and some of those DACs look like behemoths. Unfortunately, the external dimensions aren't published at that website either. 

 

Postscript: I just found the dimensions for the Audio-gd NFB-2 at the website. smile.gif

 


Edited by bumblingbooby - 5/11/11 at 4:42am
post #67 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post




The DAC will be sitting on my desktop where space is already at a premium. So the more compact the better. Obviously sound is the primary objective but a smaller foot print would be welcome. I've also been looking at the Audio-gd range and some of those DACs look like behemoths. Unfortunately, the external dimensions aren't published at that website either. 

 

Postscript: I just found the dimensions for the Audio-gd NFB-2 at the website. smile.gif

 


The Eastern Electirc trumps the Audio-gd I had a NFB-2 and sent it back it sounded dark compared to the Minimax the Minimax is just a great Dac cant say enough good about it. I know my desk is filled with stuff so I bought a stereo rack that sits next to my desk and have all my equipment on there
that way it doesn't take up any of my desktop real estate.
post #68 of 1140

Yes, the Minimax intrigues me and the reviews that I have read about it are enthusiastic. I'm under the impression that it is a "lively" sounding DAC. Given that I'd be pairing it with the Grado PS1000 and the DNA Sonett, I'm wondering whether it might be too much so? A darker sounding DAC like the NFB-2 may be a more suitable match. Who knows? 

post #69 of 1140
The Last upgrade you can do without changing resistors etc is the tube.. The tube is the same one used by Boulder Cable when they do the EE Dac upgrades the only problem is its not cheap
you have to buy 2 and for A Grade tubes they run 99.99 for two in a cool case. I got mine yesterday and it sounds wonderful with the upgrades I have listed my sound has taken on a wide sound stage beautiful warm and not fatiguing

You can get the tube at

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/?page_id=12&category=8&product_id=2
500
post #70 of 1140

I'm looking at this DAC very seriously. My only concern is the USB implementation of 16/44.1. It's a shortcoming that the designer has acknowledged and intends to redress with the next model release. Given that I would be using this DAC as part of a computer based headphone rig, it's a potential deal breaker currently.  

post #71 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post

I'm looking at this DAC very seriously. My only concern is the USB implementation of 16/44.1. It's a shortcoming that the designer has acknowledged and intends to redress with the next model release. Given that I would be using this DAC as part of a computer based headphone rig, it's a potential deal breaker currently.  


I guess for some its a deal breaker I use Spdiff out of my computer and toslink so I could care less about USB.. But I can understand your feelings alot of people that don't have an Spdiff connection rely on the USB me I can hear the difference between USB and Spdiff from a good source
post #72 of 1140

You need this for usb issues:

Musical Fideltiy V-Link

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-LINK-SPDIF-Converter/dp/B004PH03GU

post #73 of 1140

Alex from Eastern Electric Audio has advised that "The DAC MKII will be put into production within the next 2 weeks. Shipping to be advised later as this is the first production lot. The new MKII will feature A Sync up to 192KHz. I will announce through all the distributors and our web site." This is good news for USB users.

post #74 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblingbooby View Post

Alex from Eastern Electric Audio has advised that "The DAC MKII will be put into production within the next 2 weeks. Shipping to be advised later as this is the first production lot. The new MKII will feature A Sync up to 192KHz. I will announce through all the distributors and our web site." This is good news for USB users.



What do you mean A sync up to 192khz it does that now ? what are we gaining by getting the new DAC?

post #75 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post





What do you mean A sync up to 192khz it does that now ? what are we gaining by getting the new DAC? If all it does is add USB at 192 than it isnt worth it as I dont use USB

Any new features?
 

 


Edited by MrScary - 5/14/11 at 2:55am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)