Shahrose, Yep I'm Tom's friend..... Thanks for all of your advice, It got me, with (Tom helping), down the right road with this little marvel......keep the tweaks coming! You can PM me if you want on exactly what you have done to your Dac..... Was it the Boulder upgrade????? Thanks again, duke
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Tube DAC with a SS amp... is it a good combo? Last post on 11/1/11 at 3:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Eastern Electric DAC 001 (Sabre32) - What do we know about it? Last post on 4/22/11 at 6:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Headphone pairing with Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball upgrade Last post on 3/21/13 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Metrum octave vs new Rega DAC vs Eastern electric Last post on 2/25/13 at 2:29am in Dedicated Source Components
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) Last post on 7/11/16 at 5:21pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
BACKGROUND I enjoyed my Superlux HD-330 for several months. I always had a closed pair, an open pair, and earbuds at any given situation to cover all my needs – isolated listening, awareness of...
Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) - Page 14post #196 of 11486/12/11 at 9:48am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #197 of 11486/12/11 at 10:11amQuote:Originally Posted by caracara08
i just ran into this DAC looking around for a new one. i was looking for a baalanced DAC for my sr71b and future balanced desktop amp... i wonder if the benefits from a balanced DAC (W4S DAC1, Audio GD balanced DACs) would be higher creating a fully balanced system or getting this higher quality dac and not having a fully balanced system. any input would be appreciated.
"the (stock) Eastern Electric Minimax is a freak of nature! It offers comparable performance to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 at half the price. Impressive bang for buck..."post #198 of 11486/12/11 at 10:31amQuote:Originally Posted by Shahrose
"the (stock) Eastern Electric Minimax is a freak of nature! It offers comparable performance to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 at half the price. Impressive bang for buck..."
yea i saw that, but i suppose its getting at balanced or not, the minimax competes? i think i might do it!post #199 of 11486/12/11 at 2:13pm
No more Minimax its now the Mk2 whole new ballgame. None of the upgrades mention balanced which really sucks that surely takes me out of the buyers list as I want to go fully balanced within 6 months.post #200 of 11486/12/11 at 2:19pmQuote:
So when will you be putting your MM up for sale and how much???post #201 of 11486/12/11 at 2:27pm
hmmmm not for sure how soon man, I am waiting to see Schiit's high end Dac that could be 4-6 months and shop around. When I do sell it. It will be cheap I always take a huge hit when I sell Im too nice
I mean if the new Mk2 from Eastern electric was balanced I would buy it as soon as it comes out but sadly its not..
Edited by MrScary - 6/12/11 at 2:28pmpost #202 of 11486/12/11 at 2:32pmpost #203 of 11486/12/11 at 3:14pmpost #204 of 11486/12/11 at 3:26pmpost #205 of 11486/12/11 at 8:55pm
i dont think ppl will be happy with the MKII price, but it still seems like it will perform over its price point. since the original is out of production, i decided to look at the BM DAC1 and the W4S DAC1. kinda makes me sad. i think it would have been a ton of fun to play around with this DAC.post #206 of 11486/13/11 at 4:39ampost #207 of 11486/13/11 at 5:23amQuote:Originally Posted by caracara08
i dont think ppl will be happy with the MKII price, but it still seems like it will perform over its price point. since the original is out of production, i decided to look at the BM DAC1 and the W4S DAC1. kinda makes me sad. i think it would have been a ton of fun to play around with this DAC.
Only people who need balanced will be upset. This is going to be a great SE DAC.Quote:
I don't think so. Their $750 DAC performed like a $1500 W4S DAC-2, so imagine what their $1100 offering sounds like.post #208 of 11486/13/11 at 7:00am
but as their price goes up, their potential number of sales go down. they should keep the original and the mk2... unless the mk2's upgrades arent as spectacular as their 350$ added premium. i just think the profit margin for their original was getting smaller and smaller with the price of things going up. too bad theyre not going balanced on the mk2 though, i probably would even pay 1100 to check it out.post #209 of 11486/13/11 at 8:20amQuote:Originally Posted by caracara08
but as their price goes up, their potential number of sales go down. they should keep the original and the mk2... unless the mk2's upgrades arent as spectacular as their 350$ added premium. i just think the profit margin for their original was getting smaller and smaller with the price of things going up. too bad theyre not going balanced on the mk2 though, i probably would even pay 1100 to check it out.
Without it being balanced the SQ alone if any is not worth the 1100.00 there are other DAC's that are balanced for that price also as i have said before the SS part of the DAC is not discrete and thats what high end DAC's use is a discrete pathway. Many look down on opamps and for some its a solid reasoning
they are cheap and not built with the circuit in mind. I am sad that Eastern Electric has taken this pathway with the Mk2 I was looking forward to a balanced DAC from them.post #210 of 11486/13/11 at 9:44am
- Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 14 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 24 seconds ago
- › New member 41 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SennGrado Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear