Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) - Page 12

post #166 of 1140

Sounds like a great unit.

post #167 of 1140

How does this unit pair with LCD-2's? 

 

Tempted to go either Burson 160D or Minimax + M-Stage.

post #168 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga View Post

How does this unit pair with LCD-2's? 

 

Tempted to go either Burson 160D or Minimax + M-Stage.


Minimax sounds great with the Lyr --->> LCD-2 of course Im running alternate tubes in the Lyr
Most everyone here has their Minimax modded if you like to tweak then this is the tweakers dream Dac
Edited by MrScary - 6/2/11 at 2:08am
post #169 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga View Post

How does this unit pair with LCD-2's? 

 

Tempted to go either Burson 160D or Minimax + M-Stage.





Most everyone here has their Minimax modded if you like to tweak then this is the tweakers dream Dac


Do you mean fully modded as in Bolder Cable or tweak modded as in tube/opamp rolling?

BTW - I just pursued my opamp rolling folly with a pair of OPA627AUs. As tempting as the 797s are I think this is where it will end. My conclusion is that in my system those along with the other BB opamps(OPA2604) yield the best balance of detail/warmth/musicality.

 

 


Edited by Turn&cough - 6/2/11 at 4:38pm
post #170 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post




Do you mean fully modded as in Bolder Cable or tweak modded as in tube/opamp rolling?

BTW - I just pursued my opamp rolling folly with a pair of OPA627AUs. As tempting as the 797s are I think this is where it will end. My conclusion is that in my system those along with the other BB opamps(OPA2604) yield the best balance of detail/warmth/musicality.

 

 




I meant most people here have opamp, fuse tube modding. I ordered two sets of 797's if you want a pair just let me know they were only 28.00 for two mounted. Im going to try the 797's and Im done as well Im happy with the AD823 it works well in my system. I tried the 627's they were nice just made my LCD-2's a bit laid back.

post #171 of 1140

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer if they live up to expectations.

 

post #172 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer if they live up to expectations.

 

Yeah I have used the 797's before in portable amps and loved the sound but the Minimax can be picky will be interesting to see. Probably two weeks before the 797's come in
 

 

post #173 of 1140

Today I installed a Siemens chrome plate 12au7 and switched back to the opa2604 and I have to say the sounds is great.  The soundstage is huge, highs and mids are sweet and detailed.  If there is a fault (there is always a fault) it is the bass, while prodigious, is a touch wooly.  It's not perfect (yet) but the chrome plate was a definite improvement over the Mullard.

post #174 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by setamp View Post

Today I installed a Siemens chrome plate 12au7 and switched back to the opa2604 and I have to say the sounds is great.  The soundstage is huge, highs and mids are sweet and detailed.  If there is a fault (there is always a fault) it is the bass, while prodigious, is a touch wooly.  It's not perfect (yet) but the chrome plate was a definite improvement over the Mullard.


Yeah I hated the mullard it sounded muddy.
post #175 of 1140

Lush, thick, er muddy is the classic Mullard sound, it balances well with the right gear.

 

Having used a lot of different name brand and types of tubes myself I find Electro Harmonix to be a very good all around fit. Lush enough to have tube flavor but tight and punchy, clear but never harsh, mids are usually well placed and open.  I spent a lot of time trying a lot of different brand tubes but somehow always end up back with EH tubes.  An added bonus is that they are inexpensive.

 

 

post #176 of 1140

Thanks Dynobot.  That is good to know about the EH tubes. 

post #177 of 1140

See reviews at parts express

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-864

 

 

See reviews at Audiokarma, one guy loves the EH tube another with a MiniMax does not....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157984

 

Do a little searching to get a feel for the overall impression of the tube...its $11 bucks at Amazon may be worth a shot.

 

Enjoy!!

post #178 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot View Post

See reviews at parts express

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-864

 

 

See reviews at Audiokarma, one guy loves the EH tube another with a MiniMax does not....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157984

 

Do a little searching to get a feel for the overall impression of the tube...its $11 bucks at Amazon may be worth a shot.

 

Enjoy!!


hmmm 11.00 cant beat it think I will give it a shot lot less expensive than the Grant fidelity presnave tube I have in there now it was 50.00
post #179 of 1140

I can't help but wonder why the EE designer chose the 5232 and 5234 op amps. Maybe there is a good reason other than cost. After all most op amps are relatively inexpensive. Maybe some of us(me) didn't take the time to do an objective comparison assuming that all these other audiophile op amps would trounce the lowly NXP ones. Maybe...

 

post #180 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post

I can't help but wonder why the EE designer chose the 5232 and 5234 op amps. Maybe there is a good reason other than cost. After all most op amps are relatively inexpensive. Maybe some of us(me) didn't take the time to do an objective comparison assuming that all these other audiophile op amps would trounce the lowly NXP ones. Maybe...

 


The reason for the choice is they are neutral the 5232 and 5234 are not bad opamps they are just neutral and for most people thats what they need as soon as you change an opamp you color the sound..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)