Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac) - Page 75

post #1111 of 1140

I lost interest when they dropped the usefulness of the original MiniMax by dropping the passive blue velvet volume control, PLUS increased the price. Go figure. 

post #1112 of 1140

@ ecapsretliab  Do you prefer the Dexa or the Burson?


Edited by Turn&cough - 7/22/12 at 4:46am
post #1113 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post

@ ecapsretliab  Do you prefer the Dexa or the Burson?


In the Minimax I much preferred Burson.

 

In the Minimax Plus ....DEXA.  Me and the Bursons did not get along in the Plus.

 

Currently I am running LME49990 / DEXA with the tube yanked.  And am very happy, but I'm still trying out new combinations.

 

Never thought I'd wind up going in that direction. But the Plus is a very different beast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I just put the Bursons back in.  I can't decide. I'm thinking I should grab some Burson singles an see what happens when I run all Bursons.

 

People say the Bursons do bass better than the DEXA's.  But I always find the bass gets a bit bloated in my system. But I love their tonal richness. I guess my speakers and probably room acoustics are clouding my judgement. So some further adjusting is in order.  Yes I know, I'm sort of in the wrong forum (:   Sorry.


Edited by ecapsretliab - 7/22/12 at 10:39pm
post #1114 of 1140

That's the usual tradeoff.  You're searching for smoother sound to make those crappy recordings listenable but you end up with tubby bass in the process. That's why I've been hesitant to give the Bursons a try.

Dexa's in U1/U2 and LM49710's in U6/U7 has been pretty much the best compromise for me so far. I was getting good balance with the tube output but one of the second hand 3.3uF Mundorfs I was using has started to fail so I've been running SS only lately.

post #1115 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hionhifi View Post

I lost interest when they dropped the usefulness of the original MiniMax by dropping the passive blue velvet volume control, PLUS increased the price. Go figure. 

 

I never found that the volume helped any with impedance issues, and since i've had it removed, the quality's improved overall.  Just my 2cents.

post #1116 of 1140
Recently, I bought a Minimax DAC plus. The sound is great. However I found a weird thing. When the DAC connected with USB, the DAC can't be completely off. My case is the Minimax DAC plus is connected a music server. I will not turn off that server. When I power off the DAC, the Operate, Phase and Tube LED is still on. If I click any buttons on the DAC, it still response. The DAC seems still in operate. However it doesn't have sound come out. Is it Normal?
post #1117 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallkeung View Post

Recently, I bought a Minimax DAC plus. The sound is great. However I found a weird thing. When the DAC connected with USB, the DAC can't be completely off. My case is the Minimax DAC plus is connected a music server. I will not turn off that server. When I power off the DAC, the Operate, Phase and Tube LED is still on. If I click any buttons on the DAC, it still response. The DAC seems still in operate. However it doesn't have sound come out. Is it Normal?

I don't have that problem with my Minimax DAC Plus, which I can turn off fine while connected to audio PC by USB.  Are you making sure to push the power button deep and hold for a second before letting go?  That's the way to turn it on or off.  

post #1118 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

I don't have that problem with my Minimax DAC Plus, which I can turn off fine while connected to audio PC by USB.  Are you making sure to push the power button deep and hold for a second before letting go?  That's the way to turn it on or off.  

Thank you.

I will check that when I back to home. Will you turn off your audio PC?

I also found another weird stuff. When I disconnect the power and connect USB, the device will be "turn on".
The Operate, Phase and Tube LED will be turn on. It seems very weird.
Edited by smallkeung - 11/6/12 at 6:35pm
post #1119 of 1140
Hi all, i am having some problems with my MM Plus. Tried using the digital coaxial connection with my CDP and there is intermittent clicks with the data transfer. Doesn't happen with USB connection though.

Anyone have similar problems?
post #1120 of 1140

Hello Turn Cough,

 

I'm looking for information on installing the Compact cascode CCS Kits to the tube ouput.

Please may I have instructions if you still have this information. I have already ordered them. Trim settings or bias point would be appreciated.

My e-mail is: russ42midlife@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Russell

post #1121 of 1140

Can you confirm that this is the right setting, a professional can install the CCS kits for me but I need to know if these are correct adjustments.

I would be really glad if you could tell me and perhaps more information.

Thanks greetings,

Russell: e-mail to: russ42midlife@hotmail.com
 

post #1122 of 1140

set the CCS Kit gain to @0.85mv across the 10ohm resistor or until the sound has no distortion.

 

Are these the correct instructions for the EE Minimax DAC for a CCS kit with an E80CC tube for example? Or the standard tube.

reply to: russ42midlife@hortmail.com
 

post #1123 of 1140

The original version is no longer available for purchase from Morningstar Audio. You have to go with the updated version, the Minimax DAC PLUS.
 

post #1124 of 1140

Got a used Minimax Plus at last. This is a DAC that I've always considered but never got.

I've used a DACport and M-DAC before before.

 

Was thinking between the Mytek 192 and the Minimax Plus.

Finally plumped for the Minimax Plus as DSD is a nice to have but not a priority.

 

 

 

Minimax Plus feeding the W4S mINT

post #1125 of 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Siow View Post

Got a used Minimax Plus at last. This is a DAC that I've always considered but never got.

I've used a DACport and M-DAC before before.

 

Was thinking between the Mytek 192 and the Minimax Plus.

Finally plumped for the Minimax Plus as DSD is a nice to have but not a priority.

 

 

 

Minimax Plus feeding the W4S mINT

 

How does the Minimax compare to the others you have tried?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)