Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 - Page 2

post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Narrowly defined group eh.  There seems to be a sizable number or threads and posts to the contrary.  I've seen quite a few than say their $20 E5 performs better than the E7 and have reverted back.  I'm willing to bet real money the $65 Cmoy v2.02 kills the $100 E7 whether using the headphone out, line out or whatever non DAC related out you can conceive of.  I really don't understand what your point is.  From your own words it sounds like the Cmoy is better than the E7 and cheaper to boot.  So why would the OP want an E7 if they aren't going to use the DAC?


Anaxilus,

 

The point of my posts are not to compare the E7 to another amp, but to point out the inaccuracies in your assertion that the E7 is only good when also used as a DAC. I can appreciate that we are all trying to help one another, especially since most of these products are only available online so there are very few chances for someone to try something in person before making a purchase. I am certain your desire to point out issues you perceived with a product in order to prevent someone from potentially making a bad purchase is rooted in good intentions. At the same time I hope you are receptive to the evidence that I've provided.

 

There are different amplifier products on the market precisely because people have different needs. Depending on specific needs, the E7 is not always the better choice. Isn't this obvious?

 

Jack

post #17 of 75

Very sorry, although it is not so suitable for me in here, but just want to say:

 

1, We will increase the gain from the third batch of E7 ! the increasement is about 2.5 dB !

 

2, The design target of E7 is USB/DAC, and as all you can see, the headphone amplifier inside is similar with E5, so if you have an E5, and just want to use E7 as an amp, you don't need

 

    to buy an E7, although most of our user say the SQ of E7 is better than E5 because the OP is change from OP2338 to AD8692;

 

3, We have a plan to develop a higher class headphone amplifier, it may have higher gain , and higher SQ,  we are not trying to compare with other brand,  but it will absolutely  better

 

   than E5/E7 in SQ

 

4, Thanks Jack-Micca, the useful of amp not means volume boost, it is about SQ! I think people can read the thread , it can help user learn more about how the amp help increase SQ

 

    in technology!

 

5, Any advise and criticize is welcome!

 

B.R

 

James from FiiO


Edited by JamesFiiO - 7/14/10 at 7:43pm
post #18 of 75

Nice reply!  I've used your E3 and E5.  Look forward to hearing this new creation, sounds exciting!

 

Gotta love a manufacturer willing to respond so quickly and openly.


Edited by Anaxilus - 7/14/10 at 7:44pm
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

 

2, The design target of E7 is USB/DAC, and as all you can see, the headphone amplifier inside is similar with E5, so if you have an E5, and just want to use E7 as an amp, you don't need

 

    to buy an E7, although most of our user say the SQ of E7 is better than E5 because the OP is change from OP2338 to AD8692;

 

 

 

B.R

 

James from FiiO

^This is the essential info here.


 

post #20 of 75

Very essential info, I've been wondering what was the opamp of the E5/E7.
And Jack, very nice job on providing your info to support your statement. That info for the D2 and how amps can improve the SQ of a headphone out and not just a line out, is very helpful.

post #21 of 75

Dang it. I was all ready to buy an E7 and now I find that the new batch will be better. Do I wait, or do I leap in and get the most recent batch anyway? Chances are we won't have any third batch ones in the UK for a while.

post #22 of 75

I'm not familiar with the other amps(too new at this) but the cmoy I have had problems with gain using the HPO of my iPod classic.  Both on low and high gain.  Using it with the fiio lod brought the gain to where it should be.

post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

Very sorry, although it is not so suitable for me in here, but just want to say:

 

1, We will increase the gain from the third batch of E7 ! the increasement is about 2.5 dB !

 

2, The design target of E7 is USB/DAC, and as all you can see, the headphone amplifier inside is similar with E5, so if you have an E5, and just want to use E7 as an amp, you don't need

 

    to buy an E7, although most of our user say the SQ of E7 is better than E5 because the OP is change from OP2338 to AD8692;


Wait, so, since I bought the E7 recently, I don't get the superior model? I think you should have an upgrade price for people who already bought the original E7. Also, I use the DAC, so that is useful for me, but I also use it with an LOD on my iPod. It sounds good, but am I really just using an E5?

post #24 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman View Post
am I really just using an E5?


No, it clearly says the opamp is different.  I'll leave the rest of query to others.  The whole E7 discussion isn't even of interest to me.  Unsubscribing.

post #25 of 75

I like how Anaxilus is able to bash the E7 without ever having heard it.  If all you're going to do is regurgitate other peoples' impressions from other threads, please just post the links. 

 

Go DIY and build yourself a Mini3 for $70.  Right now I'm looking for a commercially available amp under $100 for a friend of a friend so these threads are helpful.  With work and school I don't have time to order & build a Mini3 for him.  :\

post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibble Fat View Post

I like how Anaxilus is able to bash the E7 without ever having heard it.  If all you're going to do is regurgitate other peoples' impressions from other threads, please just post the links. 

 

Go DIY and build yourself a Mini3 for $70.  Right now I'm looking for a commercially available amp under $100 for a friend of a friend so these threads are helpful.  With work and school I don't have time to order & build a Mini3 for him.  :\


Bashing?  Funny, everything I said was substantiated by the maker of the E7.  In fact they are making an 'improved' version due to the concerns of the unit.  Why should I search and post links when we had 3 separate threads on the issue.  If you don't like how I try to help people then use the ignore function.  I know it works because I have you on it.  Go whine to someone else who cares.  Shoo fly.

post #27 of 75

I had the E7 for about 10 days and found that as an amp, it DID NOT have the power you would expect.  I've stated before that the digital volume ranged from 01 to 60 -- that's a huge numeric range, but when pairing the E7 with my Zune 30, I had to push the E7 volume to 50 before it equaled the Zune 30 headphone out volume.  Everything below 50 was a cut in volume compared to the Zune volume.  That left me 10 steps (51-60) to generate any volume above the Zune 30.  The SQ compared to the Zune HO was a bit cleaner and crisper, but not tons.  And the bass boost was OK at position 2 (position 1 was barely noticeable), and position 3 did the boost bass/cut highs trick the E5 does.

 

So, as an amp alone it wasn't much for the price.

post #28 of 75

The cMoy's were the best investments i've spent in this hobby so far. Not only does it drive my RE0's giving it the bass that it needs (pfft RE-Zeros), it can also drive my HD 650s quite decently. The bass boost is also a great feature that boosts the bass while leaving all the details of my RE0's still intact. One criticism is that the Altoids box gets scratched easily in my pocket, but that's to be expected.

 

 

+1 for cMoy BB 2.02. No regrets. 

post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman View Post




Wait, so, since I bought the E7 recently, I don't get the superior model? I think you should have an upgrade price for people who already bought the original E7. Also, I use the DAC, so that is useful for me, but I also use it with an LOD on my iPod. It sounds good, but am I really just using an E5?


You can  always roll opamps in the E7 for  even better sound. 

post #30 of 75

If the goal is just to get more volume out, I am pretty sure a CmoyBB can do a better job. However, amping is not about getting loud volume (or coloration), but getting the control of power / current reserve / voltage swing for the headphone to take benefit of / perform better. I won't call the increase of gain as 'improve version', as setting higher gain introduce more potential for distortion, which is the first thing to avoid in any amping. Just because It is done on request doesn't mean it is actually better. To me, the only thing that really needs to be improved is its transparency, a gain switch will be very nice but it is not the priority since the majority of IEM / earbud out there doesn't really need that much power to begin with.


Edited by ClieOS - 7/29/10 at 8:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02