Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 497

post #7441 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC001 View Post

Possibly but not necessarily.

What you can be sure of is that an amp "X" rated to deliver 1 W of power at a certain level of distortion, will have equal or less distortion at lower output levels.
However, you may find a different amp "Y" with a max output of only 100 mW that has lower distortion than amp "X" at 100 mW and below.
If you only listen at 100 mW or less, then amp "Y" is better.
And for the LCD-2, 100 mW makes 110 dB - even louder on the new LCD-2. This is super freaking loud.

This is how unrealistically high power ratings can mislead people by encouraging them to overlook less powerful amps that have higher sound quality. The LCD-2 is easy to drive and doesn't need a ton of power. Quality is far more important.

again thank you! I'm learning a lot from you. taking advantage of their knowledge, what is your opinion on LCD -2 + meier audio CONCERT? is a good combo? I'm asking this because I'm almost buying a CONCERT.
post #7442 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblegram View Post


again thank you! I'm learning a lot from you. taking advantage of their knowledge, what is your opinion on LCD -2 + meier audio CONCERT? is a good combo? I'm asking this because I'm almost buying a CONCERT.

it will work.  don't worry it is a very good amp.  I think you mean Concerto though.  

post #7443 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblegram View Post

again thank you! I'm learning a lot from you. taking advantage of their knowledge, what is your opinion on LCD -2 + meier audio CONCERT? is a good combo? I'm asking this because I'm almost buying a CONCERT.

I don't know yet. I bought a Meier Jazz because his design, parts selection, build quality and reasonable pricing impressed me, and he actually responds to emails. Also as someone who knows a little about EE the articles on ground driving and crossfeed on his web site were some of the few I've read that actually make sense - quite a relief from the techno-babble most companies publish.

 

Haven't received the amp yet so I can't offer an opinion on sound quality with the LCD-2.

post #7444 of 7541

I've used the LCD-2 with Lyr, Asgard, Violectric V200, Pioneer Vintage Amp and Vali.  I got to say that the Vali so far is the best for my preferences.  It really makes the LCD-2 lively and detailed. 

post #7445 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones Bob View Post


The magic is with this model only. The similar EL-84 and larger EL-34 amps are MEH at best. The secret is in the tubes and extremely good iron. The output tube is similar to the US 6AQ5 with a different pinout. Triode strapped they are as nearly as linear as a DHT 45, and sound it too. The OPTs are special too. Being the amp is from China, I take it as a happy accident that works far above its other siblings.

Jones Bob, the Music Angel delivered a couple of days ago. Used the ebay trader from the link you posted.

With only about 7 hours on it at the mo, it sounds pleasant sometimes with hints of vividness on vocals and strummed guitars. The midrange isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm sure burn-in and a caps swap will fix that.

 

The thing I'm concerned with though is the lack of bass. It feels like I'm listening to mostly mid range and is quite fatiguing. With LCD2s, my Objective2 amp (which some think lacks weight) has more body and weight to the sound. Did burning in or changing caps affect the bass weight for you?

post #7446 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

I've used the LCD-2 with Lyr, Asgard, Violectric V200, Pioneer Vintage Amp and Vali.  I got to say that the Vali so far is the best for my preferences.  It really makes the LCD-2 lively and detailed. 

I like it when people list all amps they've heard and say why one was preferred. I think it'd be really useful if more people did that.

I'll go too:

 

Little Dot i+, Little Dot mkiii, O2, V200, RWA Corvina (single ended), Soloist.

 

RWA Corvina because you could listen for hours with no fatigue. Also had the most refined treble and prettiest midrange.

post #7447 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC001 View Post
Now when my Meier Corda Jazz arrives - any day now - I'll crawl into my hidey hole with the LCD-2 and a thousand or so CDs and come out a day later with a review. :bigsmile_face:

The postman brought my Corda Jazz today. I took a brief break from sonic heaven to add my thoughts to the Corda Jazz reviews already on this site. I can definitely recommend the Corda Jazz amp as a good match for the LCD-2.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meier-audio-corda-jazz/reviews/11023


Edited by MRC001 - 5/17/14 at 7:09pm
post #7448 of 7541

I have 800 dollars to spend on a new amp/dac combo for my LCD-2 rev 2 Fazor. My only stipulation is that I don't want a tube amp. I can wait a couple more months and get a Conductor but that might be a little more than I am wanting to spend on an amp/dac. Thoughts?

post #7449 of 7541
Have you considered the Schiit Lyr as an amp, good pairing for the LCD-2. Also, you may want to look for a used Conductor, I picked mine up for $1100 (the highest end one retails for $1850), may be able to get a good deal on one, even though that's still a stretch in your price range.
post #7450 of 7541
An Audio-GD NFB-28 is right about at that price point, and is what I have. It's fully balanced with many functions, never sounds digital, can do ~7W into LCD-2.2f's IIRC, and is quite neutral. It should work great with anything but the most sensitive IEM's as I recently discovered. One idea, at least.
post #7451 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirininc View Post
 

I have 800 dollars to spend on a new amp/dac combo for my LCD-2 rev 2 Fazor. My only stipulation is that I don't want a tube amp. I can wait a couple more months and get a Conductor but that might be a little more than I am wanting to spend on an amp/dac. Thoughts?

I never thought that the conductor was worth it.  I think that it is way overpriced and sounds stale but maybe that is just me.  I think you should wait a month and get a used Resonessence labs Concero and Schiit Moljnir.  That combo is just wow.  Other DACs are Bifrost and Gungnir (I think this DAC is overrated though).  Other amps to consider are Lyr, Bottlehead SEX, some audio-GD offerings, and Corda Classic. 

post #7452 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirininc View Post

I have 800 dollars to spend on a new amp/dac combo for my LCD-2 rev 2 Fazor. My only stipulation is that I don't want a tube amp. I can wait a couple more months and get a Conductor but that might be a little more than I am wanting to spend on an amp/dac. Thoughts?

The Schiit Lyr, now in a "2" version/Bitrost DAC would put you slightly over your $800 budget, a Modi DAC at $109,comfortably under budget.
post #7453 of 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

Have you considered the Schiit Lyr as an amp, good pairing for the LCD-2. Also, you may want to look for a used Conductor, I picked mine up for $1100 (the highest end one retails for $1850), may be able to get a good deal on one, even though that's still a stretch in your price range.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post


The Schiit Lyr, now in a "2" version/Bitrost DAC would put you slightly over your $800 budget, a Modi DAC at $109,comfortably under budget.

I am not considering a tube amp and I was going to go with a used Conductor as I can't justify the brand new price.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zashoomin View Post
 

I never thought that the conductor was worth it.  I think that it is way overpriced and sounds stale but maybe that is just me.  I think you should wait a month and get a used Resonessence labs Concero and Schiit Moljnir.  That combo is just wow.  Other DACs are Bifrost and Gungnir (I think this DAC is overrated though).  Other amps to consider are Lyr, Bottlehead SEX, some audio-GD offerings, and Corda Classic. 

I will definitely consider the Concero / Mjolnir combo. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 View Post

An Audio-GD NFB-28 is right about at that price point, and is what I have. It's fully balanced with many functions, never sounds digital, can do ~7W into LCD-2.2f's IIRC, and is quite neutral. It should work great with anything but the most sensitive IEM's as I recently discovered. One idea, at least.

That is crazy 7W? I am kind of torn because it is a chinese product. Does build quality feel cheap?

post #7454 of 7541
Not one bit cheap, it has a beautiful brushed finish, quite a bit of weight to it, solid connectors, and good warranty. I just rechecked my numbers, it's more like ~4.5 W balanced, maybe ~1.25 W SE. AGD is known for powerful and clean amps. Kingwa, the owner, is awesome.
post #7455 of 7541

I have an Audio GD SA-31SE and LCD2s, and as I've said before on this thread:  I've listened to that, and I've listened to a Bakoon - and while I wasnt able to do an A/B test, I didnt hear anything in the session with the Bakoon to make me want tp buy it (and I had gone in to buy it  or something comparable - the SA31SE was intended as a stop-gap purchase).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2