Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 491

post #7351 of 7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinhatz View Post
 

 

Would you like to elaborate on what you did? Was it difficult? Expensive? And what types of improvements did you get?

 

Thanks.

Hello, and apologies for late reply.

 

Yes it was quite painful. Not that difficult but it requires patience and care. The soldering job is not a problem, but unscrewing and tearing the amp's PCB down is not easy.

 

After that you can replace the 8*330 Ohm 5W resistor, which are very poor. I chose Kiwame, they are well built, heavy and sound excellent.

I've also upgraded the 4 Wima MKP coupling caps for Audyn true copper caps (decent prices, good reports on the net). You can also choose Russian NOS paper in oil caps. Just increase the capacitance for a slightly better bass response, but beware of the space inside the chassis (some caps are huge).

You can find some tweaks and reviews on the MK VI's thread, and I'll post some photos some day.

 

For the improvements, unfortunately I've done the 2 tweaks at the same time, so dunno who's who.

The VI's big soundstage became bigger, more air in the stereo image, more defined and better bass. The neutrality of the circuit is still there, but everything is more natural, more defined and refined. The highs are less dry, and more detail retention. And finally there was an increase in dynamic.

It's indeed a big big improvement in sound quality, affordable, and with no drawbacks for me (the tweaks stays at your own risk). One MUST give it a try before selling the amp, or ask Sword Yang at Little Dot to build a custom MK VI+ (you just send him the parts).

And the differences in tubes are more obvious.


Edited by G600 - 4/29/14 at 11:02pm
post #7352 of 7750

V200 vs Soloist SL comparison, anyone?

 

I found a good thread comparing the two with the LCD2, but the poster was talking about the Soloist.

 

What attracts me to the Soloist SL is that I've heard it is a slightly warm SS like the V200, the soundstage is also meant to be bigger. Fun instead of detail retrieval etc. is more important to me, though.

post #7353 of 7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
 

Hello, and apologies for late reply.

 

Yes it was quite painful. Not that difficult but it requires patience and care. The soldering job is not a problem, but unscrewing and tearing the amp's PCB down is not easy.

 

After that you can replace the 8*330 Ohm 5W resistor, which are very poor. I chose Kiwame, they are well built, heavy and sound excellent.

I've also upgraded the 4 Wima MKP coupling caps for Audyn true copper caps (decent prices, good reports on the net). You can also choose Russian NOS paper in oil caps. Just increase the capacitance for a slightly better bass response, but beware of the space inside the chassis (some caps are huge).

You can find some tweaks and reviews on the MK VI's thread, and I'll post some photos some day.

 

For the improvements, unfortunately I've done the 2 tweaks at the same time, so dunno who's who.

The VI's big soundstage became bigger, more air in the stereo image, more defined and better bass. The neutrality of the circuit is still there, but everything is more natural, more defined and refined. The highs are less dry, and more detail retention. And finally there was an increase in dynamic.

It's indeed a big big improvement in sound quality, affordable, and with no drawbacks for me (the tweas stays at your own risk). One MUST give it a try before selling the amp, or ask Sword Yang at Little Dot to build a custom MK VI+ (you just send him the parts).

And the differences in tubes are more obvious.

 

Thank you for the reply! This is very helpful.

post #7354 of 7750

My pleasure levinhatz !

post #7355 of 7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotto123 View Post
 

V200 vs Soloist SL comparison, anyone?

 

I found a good thread comparing the two with the LCD2, but the poster was talking about the Soloist.

 

What attracts me to the Soloist SL is that I've heard it is a slightly warm SS like the V200, the soundstage is also meant to be bigger. Fun instead of detail retrieval etc. is more important to me, though.

The SL is supposed to have the same signature as the big Soloist. I made some notes when I compared the Soloist & V200 with LCD2r2 about a year ago. I guess you could call the Soloist slightly warm, but compared to the V200, Soloist was quite colourless (the mental image of instruments to me was like watching black&white TV).

 

Soloist had more defined bass instrument textures and higher resolution treble, but V200 was a way more 'musical' and fun listen.

post #7356 of 7750

V200 it is then. I just put my order in.

post #7357 of 7750

sotto they're bringing a new the version V220 out in june, might wanna wait a bit longer.

post #7358 of 7750

I'm looking to get a new amp for my LCD2Rev2 and HD800. I can get the Violectric V200 and the Schiit Lyr for the same price. Using a Bifrost Uber with USB as DAC.

 

anyone can compare between the two amps? thanks

post #7359 of 7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimerfripp View Post
 

I'm looking to get a new amp for my LCD2Rev2 and HD800. I can get the Violectric V200 and the Schiit Lyr for the same price. Using a Bifrost Uber with USB as DAC.

 

anyone can compare between the two amps? thanks

If you can get the lyr and v200 for the same price I think the V200 is the no brainer there.  But that might just be me.  They are supposed to be at competely different price points.  

post #7360 of 7750
^ As well I think either suits the slightly dry but quick bifrost. Based on my experiences with Lyr and V100, Violectric gives a hint of warmth and of course the Lyr can be whatever you want.

Perhaps the main difference is the Lyr's many tube-rolling options. Can be a mixed blessing though...
post #7361 of 7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahldog View Post

After many years and much money, of searching for "Audio Nirvana" via the full range speaker with separate tube components I inadvertently stumbled on the Audeze LCD 2's. My only other exposure to this type of listening experience was a pair of Quad ESL 67's. It is very difficult to overcome the room influences in a full home stereo system.
I first tried the LCD 2's with  Music Fidelity's MPHA 1 headphone amp and at that time, thought I was blown away. I started reading about the power requirements for these ortho's and how they could be connected to the speaker outputs of a power amp, using a divider network. I purchased a small tube amp from Sophia Electric called the "BABY". It is 10 watts/ch in triode mode. I hooked up my LCD 2's using an 8ohm resistor in parallel. All I can say is WHOW!!!!
This amp retails for around $800.00 USD but can be picked up used for between 4-5 hundred. The only mods I had done were to replace the coupling caps with a Russian paper in oil. Much smoother.
This amp gets quite good reviews on various sites but no mention of it being used in this type of application. In all honesty I have never enjoyed my music so much even in comparison to my $50,000.00 plus full range speaker system. 
If you have the chance give it a try and post your thoughts.

That inexpensive little amp is unbelievably good with Audeze. Used it with my LCD-2.2, LCD-3C, LCD-X, and now LCD-3F. Especially when you do a few simple mods (be careful, the PCB is very fragile). No noise, superb dynamics, wonderful tone, great PRAT -when called for. Even has a 3.5mm headphone jack on the front face. And the wood trim is Zebrano to match my LCD-3. smily_headphones1.gif

In the Sophia Baby, replace the 2 stock rectifiers in the voltage doubler PS with high voltage Schottky's, RCA inputs with Eichmann, trash the stock Chinese tubes and get good 1960-70s vintage Soviet Military 6N1P-EV and 6P1P-EV tubes on Ebay. Did that to my $150 Meng Music Angel (same amp as the Sophia) along with copper Obbligato coupling caps and it slayed my Mjolnir. Better highs, better bass, more emotion in the music. BTW, the Sophia is PP 6P6P pentode wired.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Angel-Meng-MINIP1-6P1-x-4-Push-Pull-Valve-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-BK-/310818347087?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item485e37984f

I've since built my own PP 6V6 triode strapped amp with ElectraPrint Partial Silver OPTs that is quite a bit better. But that little Meng Music Angel can really hold its own. Its a sweet little amp. Even used it as my everyday amp to drive my Altec Model 19s.
Edited by Jones Bob - 5/1/14 at 4:32pm
post #7362 of 7750

So after 20 votes in the LCD 2 amp poll ($200-$1000 category), we're starting to see certain amps dominate:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716576/head-fis-favourite-amp-for-the-audeze-lcd-2-200-1000-poll

 

I'm quite surprised by how well Schiit Lyr is doing! In the $1000-$2000 category after 11 votes we're not yet seeing any one amp dominate to such a large extent:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716577/head-fis-favourite-amp-for-the-audeze-lcd-2-1000-2000-poll

 

If you haven't voted yet and are interested, please vote in these polls! :) 


Edited by PTom - 5/1/14 at 1:56am
post #7363 of 7750

who tried to make a comparison with all these amps ???

pretty pointless

...

post #7364 of 7750

It's not a comparison but to see which are the most popular amps. i.e. you can vote for as many amps as you like that you feel works well with LCD 2.


Edited by PTom - 5/1/14 at 3:12am
post #7365 of 7750

ochei!

it could be a funny game

but i mean: i have a conductor, for me it drive well the audezes

better than the 2/3 others i had before

but i m quiet sure there is something that can do a better job..

(cavalli liquid for example, that is not in the list, or redwine, or taurus.. etc etc.. and for sure someones that i even don t know)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2