Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 453

post #6781 of 7635
Trumped
post #6782 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

Trumped

 

X

post #6783 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

Trumped

 

 

+2

 

l0l0l

 

i was thinking the same thing as soon as i saw the picture....

post #6784 of 7635

I wish I had the money to afford this Isabella, shmizzabelle, Cassabria, Cassandria spiel. Stop making me cry.

 

I think I'm going to suck it up and get a Mjolnir (used market price) ... It just really sucks that Mjo ONLY has balanced outputs, which means I won't be able to use any other phones with them unless I find some crazy balanced cables. This is the biggest, biggest downside.

 

Is there anything comparable to the MJO / better and roughly in the same price range used? I've been kind of pushed away from the Lyr because I keep reading that it is just too thick and dark for the LCD2s, which are already fairly thick sounding. I get the impression that the good reviews for the Lyr + LCD2 come from folks who just haven't heard what different / slightly higher end amps can do with the LCD2. And so it's by all means very good in absolute terms, but comparatively speaking it is suboptimal. 

 

I couldn't find anything clear on the vintage integrated amps. So many worries about who's selling them, if they'll last, etc. It's upsetting. So I think I might stick with dedicated amps...


Edited by Pepper - 9/26/13 at 10:09pm
post #6785 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Trumped


+2

l0l0l

i was thinking the same thing as soon as i saw the picture....
LOL beerchug.gif
post #6786 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

I wish I had the money to afford this Isabella, shmizzabelle, Cassabria, Cassandria spiel. Stop making me cry.

I think I'm going to suck it up and get a Mjolnir (used market price) ... It just really sucks that Mjo ONLY has balanced outputs, which means I won't be able to use any other phones with them unless I find some crazy balanced cables. This is the biggest, biggest downside.

Is there anything comparable to the MJO / better and roughly in the same price range used? I've been kind of pushed away from the Lyr because I keep reading that it is just too thick and dark for the LCD2s, which are already fairly thick sounding. I get the impression that the good reviews for the Lyr + LCD2 come from folks who just haven't heard what different / slightly higher end amps can do with the LCD2. And so it's by all means very good in absolute terms, but comparatively speaking it is suboptimal. 

I couldn't find anything clear on the vintage integrated amps. So many worries about who's selling them, if they'll last, etc. It's upsetting. So I think I might stick with dedicated amps...
Dont you worry now my child, once you hear the LCD2 with the mjolnir all those fear will go away
post #6787 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
 

 It just really sucks that Mjo ONLY has balanced outputs, which means I won't be able to use any other phones with them unless I find some crazy balanced cables. This is the biggest, biggest downside.

 

 

Just get a balanced-to-6.3mm adapter and you can use all phones

post #6788 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post


Dont you worry now my child, once you hear the LCD2 with the mjolnir all those fear will go away

 

+1. I switch the 2.2s between the Lyr (with Amperex tubes) and the Mojo. Mojo just kills the Lyr. End of story. 

:biggrin:

post #6789 of 7635

Is it that good? I'm using a burson HA160 at the moment and people on here seems to think it's not good enough for the 2.2s. But I'm not listening that loud, would a mjolnir really improve things? What is improved? Normally when I here "underpowered" that means that a better more powerful amp improves low end with more bass and less harsh upper frequency, less fatiguing. Is that what you get by switching to a mjolnir? Still a bit pussled since the impedance of the LCDs are so flat and 50ohmish throughout.

post #6790 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

For under $500 I'd rather get a good vintage grade integrated amp with optional headphone out than the Lyr.

 

You forreal?

post #6791 of 7635
Check the vintage integrated receiver/amp thread. You'd be surprised.
post #6792 of 7635

+1, I'm lost at the same point.

I would love tou read your thoughts about that before buying LCD-2 and matching amp.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
 

Hey, would anyone be able to recommend what type of amplifier I should get if I am looking to spend max $500 (preferably lower). I am willing to buy the amplifier from someone on Head-Fi, and so we are looking at after market prices. Are there any kind of semi-consensus views on solid amps at this price point? 

 

I was initially interested in the Lyr, and I know it's a solid choice, but I see comments every so often from people who insist that the Lyr gets its butt kicked by a good number of other amps with the LCD-2 Rev 2s.

post #6793 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNope View Post
 

Is it that good? I'm using a burson HA160 at the moment and people on here seems to think it's not good enough for the 2.2s. But I'm not listening that loud, would a mjolnir really improve things? What is improved? Normally when I here "underpowered" that means that a better more powerful amp improves low end with more bass and less harsh upper frequency, less fatiguing. Is that what you get by switching to a mjolnir? Still a bit pussled since the impedance of the LCDs are so flat and 50ohmish throughout.

As a fellow HA-160D + LCD2.2 owner.  I wonder the exact same thing as you.  Since I haven't been able to listen to my LCD2 on any of the popular amps with high current output, I haven't been able to compare either.  I can only read the good things people say.  I am pretty satisfied with HA-160D, as even loud listening for me works quite well.  I am however curious how these other amps compare.  Ignorance is probably bliss in this case, but if anyone out there has any direct comparisons of amps like the Mjolnir with HA-160 I would really like to hear about them.

post #6794 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

 

+1. I switch the 2.2s between the Lyr (with Amperex tubes) and the Mojo. Mojo just kills the Lyr. End of story. 

:biggrin:

 

+2  Have the Lyr (with orange globes, yada yada) and the Mojo--and it's clear the Mojo was tuned for the LCD2. The Mojo is not the swiss army knife of amps, but it's perfect for the LCD2.

post #6795 of 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

 

+1. I switch the 2.2s between the Lyr (with Amperex tubes) and the Mojo. Mojo just kills the Lyr. End of story. 
biggrin.gif

+2  Have the Lyr (with orange globes, yada yada) and the Mojo--and it's clear the Mojo was tuned for the LCD2. The Mojo is not the swiss army knife of amps, but it's perfect for the LCD2.
+2, with orthos especially the LCD line up, the mojo is the best imo. Keep in mind what Barry S stated "the mojo is not the swiss army knife", I couldnt use my HD800 with the mojo. If I still had an LCD id pick the mojo any day of the week though.
Edited by DarKen23 - 9/27/13 at 9:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2