Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 427

post #6391 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

That's very generous of you, thanks. Why haven't you used it in a while? Don't enjoy it anymore, not as good pairing with your primary headphones compared to another of your amps? I am really considering it over the A18 now. All these cable upgrades are so tempting right now though but if I buy them all now (new LCD-2 cable, XLR and coax) I won't be able to afford an amp for at least a couple of months redface.gif


IMO cables don't make that much difference anyway. Unless you're actually using, say, a true balanced system and running it through RCA only. You'd want XLR recabling in order to use the full potentials of the MK VI+ for instance, David wrote so himself in an email when I asked him a few questions about the amp.

 

The A18 however sounds great even with unbalanced. I'm running it balanced right now though since I sold my Signal RCA cables.

post #6392 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monir View Post


IMO cables don't make that much difference anyway. Unless you're actually using, say, a true balanced system and running it through RCA only. You'd want XLR recabling in order to use the full potentials of the MK VI+ for instance, David wrote so himself in an email when I asked him a few questions about the amp.

 

The A18 however sounds great even with unbalanced. I'm running it balanced right now though since I sold my Signal RCA cables.

 

Yeah, but even then I need to get a balanced headphone cable (would rather not just re-terminate stock cable) and XLR cables which, as the cheapest, will be about $150 after postage (I honestly think going DIY honestly won't be much cheaper, that and I suck at soldering). Getting the cables that I really like would be around $350, however, I know in the end I will get them, so I don't know whether to go cheap now, try to re-sell and then upgrade, or just go all out now. If I go all out now, it will be months before I can get the Little dot MKVI+ if I decide to go with that (have to save for it, then there is the 3-4 week build time). I really wish there wasn't such a long build time for the MKVI+ but I understand why.

post #6393 of 7692

LCD-2s arrived! biggrin.gif They look outstanding. Don't sound quite as good as I remember them, but I am currently using them single ended with my M3 amplifier as opposed to a fully balanced setup with a ~$1000 amp. These definitely need some more power. Unfortunately I have my final exam in a few hours so I can't really spend much time with them until tonight unfortunately. I think I am just going to try and save for an amp now. $750 and several weeks remaining...

post #6394 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

That's very generous of you, thanks. Why haven't you used it in a while? Don't enjoy it anymore, not as good pairing with your primary headphones compared to another of your amps? I am really considering it over the A18 now. All these cable upgrades are so tempting right now though but if I buy them all now (new LCD-2 cable, XLR and coax) I won't be able to afford an amp for at least a couple of months redface.gif

As much as I'd like to listen to them I don't have space for them in the house nor my audio rack so they are kept in there original box on my amp shelf. That said, I have far too many amp rebuilds to go through now which is what is eating my time nowadays. 

post #6395 of 7692

M3 does lose a lot of V with the Mosfet buffer but should still put ~0.4 Wrms into 50 Ohms with AMB's 27 V supply setting - thats 116 dB SPL clipping level with the LCD-2 - not particularly short on power


Edited by jcx - 6/20/13 at 8:26am
post #6396 of 7692

Alright, ill ask one last time before I make my decision!

Which amps works good for house music? I guess I want little warmish sound, with great bass and pretty decent width in the soundstage. Is there any other then V200 & Mjolnir you guys would recommend? 

post #6397 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikT92 View Post

Alright, ill ask one last time before I make my decision!

Which amps works good for house music? I guess I want little warmish sound, with great bass and pretty decent width in the soundstage. Is there any other then V200 & Mjolnir you guys would recommend? 

 

I listen to a lot of House (EDM) and love my Decware Taboo for it. Are you trying to stay around $1k?
post #6398 of 7692
I'm currently using Xonar Essence One.. Anyone has any idea whether it will match with LCD 2.2??
post #6399 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafees View Post

I'm currently using Xonar Essence One.. Anyone has any idea whether it will match with LCD 2.2??

 

Not a good match. Specially on the bass area, it was not controlled (sloppy)

post #6400 of 7692

Good news. I have managed to scavenge enough money for the Little Dot MKVI+. Probably one of the worst times to buy overseas due to the fact the aussie dollar has turned to...well, just take a look at the currency exchange graph. The last time I checked it was at like $1.05usd and the next time it was $0.92 frown.gif That also had a huge impact on the cost of my LCD-2. Anyway, shall be placing my order for a silver MKVI+ within the next 24 hours I hope. In the meantime, hopefully I can manage to save enough money to buy some nice wire and connectors for some XLR interconnects and a nice headphone cable. I may just begin with a $15 pair of XLR and then splash out on some nice ones. Definitely want a nice cable for my LCD-2's however (and yes, I have experimented with headphone cables before and to me, they can certainly make a big difference to the sound). Amplifier is first priority though; can't wait to have my ideal setup finalised. 

post #6401 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikT92 View Post

Alright, ill ask one last time before I make my decision!

Which amps works good for house music? I guess I want little warmish sound, with great bass and pretty decent width in the soundstage. Is there any other then V200 & Mjolnir you guys would recommend? 

Wanting anything more warmer than the current LCD2's sound is something I will personally not want, unless you like a bloated mid range and congested/muffled sound from the treble with a wall of bass thumping in your cranium. That said, you can only get the best out of the LCD2's with clean power, bright or neutral to balance out the laid/darkness of the LCD2's this way you can bring out that shelved treble out bit more.

 

My recommendation goes to the Mjonir or b22.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

Good news. I have managed to scavenge enough money for the Little Dot MKVI+. Probably one of the worst times to buy overseas due to the fact the aussie dollar has turned to...well, just take a look at the currency exchange graph. The last time I checked it was at like $1.05usd and the next time it was $0.92 frown.gif That also had a huge impact on the cost of my LCD-2. Anyway, shall be placing my order for a silver MKVI+ within the next 24 hours I hope. In the meantime, hopefully I can manage to save enough money to buy some nice wire and connectors for some XLR interconnects and a nice headphone cable. I may just begin with a $15 pair of XLR and then splash out on some nice ones. Definitely want a nice cable for my LCD-2's however (and yes, I have experimented with headphone cables before and to me, they can certainly make a big difference to the sound). Amplifier is first priority though; can't wait to have my ideal setup finalised. 

Yeah the current Australian currency sucks, our $1 can buy .92-94c of USA currency. I blame the Gillard clowns. 

 

Anyway a wise move for you would be, upgrade/play around with cables last, get yourself some cheap not to expensive XLR balanced cables/IC if you haven't got one, then drop all the money on tubes because that will give you the most benefit out of the MK VI+. Once you've found the perfect tube combination, then drop in some dime for cables of your choice. 

post #6402 of 7692

Fully agree with Def. Mjolnir will slap those LCD2.2s into shape. Those cans need all the help they can get with brightness and detail add which the Mjo will definitely do.

post #6403 of 7692

heard the LCD-2 out of the burson conductor and really liked them. was like my WA6-SE with top tubes, but with SS clarity and tightness. was really nice. they also sounded faster as well.

post #6404 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Anyway a wise move for you would be, upgrade/play around with cables last, get yourself some cheap not to expensive XLR balanced cables/IC if you haven't got one, then drop all the money on tubes because that will give you the most benefit out of the MK VI+. Once you've found the perfect tube combination, then drop in some dime for cables of your choice. 

 

Yeah I am thinking cheap $15 XLR interconnects but not sure about the headphone cable. Because within about 3 weeks of getting those cables, I will have enough to get my ideal cables (whatever that may be, but thinking around $150 to DIY XLR and about triple that for headphone cable). Perhaps a <$100 headphone cable for now. 

 

Thing is with the tubes, that many were <$80 not too long ago and then all of a sudden shot to hundreds of dollars. I just feel like an idiot having to spend that much when they were so much cheaper not long ago. I've also had a look at the little dot tube rolling thread and I still can't figure out what tubes can be used with the MKVI+. I would love a description of each tube that is suitable (ie: soundstage, its low, mid and highs characteristics etc). There probably is around here somewhere. I would be comfortable spending up to $400 on tubes all up, but some seem to be that much just for a matched pair, never mind all of the other tubes to be upgraded.

post #6405 of 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

Yeah I am thinking cheap $15 XLR interconnects but not sure about the headphone cable. Because within about 3 weeks of getting those cables, I will have enough to get my ideal cables (whatever that may be, but thinking around $150 to DIY XLR and about triple that for headphone cable). Perhaps a <$100 headphone cable for now. 

 

Thing is with the tubes, that many were <$80 not too long ago and then all of a sudden shot to hundreds of dollars. I just feel like an idiot having to spend that much when they were so much cheaper not long ago. I've also had a look at the little dot tube rolling thread and I still can't figure out what tubes can be used with the MKVI+. I would love a description of each tube that is suitable (ie: soundstage, its low, mid and highs characteristics etc). There probably is around here somewhere. I would be comfortable spending up to $400 on tubes all up, but some seem to be that much just for a matched pair, never mind all of the other tubes to be upgraded.

Just to give you a baseline of how much I've spent on tubes for my VI+ alone is around $1.5-2k. Not that I have a lot, it's just quad prices are damn expensive for nearly all variants out there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2