Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 424

post #6346 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

Wait until you hear the LCD - 3 !very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Brutal!  biggrin.gif

 

The good news for Raptor34 is that he's 95% of the way there on half the money.  wink.gif

 

Mie

post #6347 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

Well, as it turns out, I couldn't hold onto my money for any longer than 5 minutes and now have a pair of LCD-2 rev2.2 Rosewood on my way. 

lmfaoo. 

post #6348 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

Wait until you hear the LCD - 3 !very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Actually already have and lucky me I preferred the LCD-2! It was only about 20 minutes I had with the LCD-3 but for $1000 extra, if they don't sound considerably better after that time, then I will be holding onto my money. Well you know...for 5 minutes longer biggrin.gif

post #6349 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

 

Brutal!  biggrin.gif

 

The good news for Raptor34 is that he's 95% of the way there on half the money.  wink.gif

Thank you,   I needed to hear that.     bigsmile_face.gif

post #6350 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

Actually already have and lucky me I preferred the LCD-2! It was only about 20 minutes I had with the LCD-3 but for $1000 extra, if they don't sound considerably better after that time, then I will be holding onto my money. Well you know...for 5 minutes longer biggrin.gif

+1. I never found the LCD3 $1000 (now $800) better than the LCD2's neither. It's when people jump on the hype train and go OMG 1-5% sound difference = night and day difference and it magically fixes the flaws of the headphones design and sound which modding cannot even fix itself. The LCD3 is a fun sounding headphone but there are better alternatives for less. If money is no problem than more then power to you.

post #6351 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

+1. I never found the LCD3 $1000 (now $800) better than the LCD2's neither. It's when people jump on the hype train and go OMG 1-5% sound difference = night and day difference and it magically fixes the flaws of the headphones design and sound which modding cannot even fix itself. The LCD3 is a fun sounding headphone but there are better alternatives for less. If money is no problem than more then power to you.

There is no hype train. But the last 10-20% is where the real cost increases lie. Are the LCD-3s better than the LCD-2s, no doubt, are they 2x better nope...but nothing is linear with respect to cost in this range. If you want the "best" in general in audio...it's gonna cost you. Once I heard the LCD-3s, I couldn't go back to listening to my LCD-2s and sold them shortly thereafter.

post #6352 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

There is no hype train. But the last 10-20% is where the real cost increases lie. Are the LCD-3s better than the LCD-2s, no doubt, are they 2x better nope...but nothing is linear with respect to cost in this range. If you want the "best" in general in audio...it's gonna cost you. Once I heard the LCD-3s, I couldn't go back to listening to my LCD-2s and sold them shortly thereafter.

 

I guess I am lucky then (or unlucky?) that I didn't find the LCD-3 much better. To me, all I really heard was increased treble and a couple slight improvements in the soundstage area which I didn't care for because I want something very different form the Dt880. I guess that extra $1000 should go toward an amp or something else biggrin.gif

post #6353 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

I guess I am lucky then (or unlucky?) that I didn't find the LCD-3 much better. To me, all I really heard was increased treble and a couple slight improvements in the soundstage area which I didn't care for because I want something very different form the Dt880. I guess that extra $1000 should go toward an amp or something else biggrin.gif

Would also depend on what your upstream rig was too. The LCD-2s play nice with almost anything, the LCD-3s are quite a bit more transparent of upfront gear and will scale higher. wink.gif The bass is tighter and more defined, but when the upstream rig is up to par, the imaging, speed and instrumental separation are some of the biggest improvements.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 6/15/13 at 9:20pm
post #6354 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

There is no hype train. But the last 10-20% is where the real cost increases lie. Are the LCD-3s better than the LCD-2s, no doubt, are they 2x better nope...but nothing is linear with respect to cost in this range. If you want the "best" in general in audio...it's gonna cost you. Once I heard the LCD-3s, I couldn't go back to listening to my LCD-2s and sold them shortly thereafter.

Despite the fact that nearly everybody said that LCD-3 is Superior to LCD-2 in any conceivable way, I have the courage to say that after one week of comparaison between the two a couple months ago, I still prefered the LCD-2r2...by a nose.

 

Subtility, refinement, detail and musicality went to the LCD-3. Bass slam, smoothness, general sonic enjoyment and fun factor went to the LCD-2.

 

BUT that was for me in my set up that has been change since then.

post #6355 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy27 View Post

Despite the fact that nearly everybody said that LCD-3 is Superior to LCD-2 in any conceivable way, I have the courage to say that after one week of comparaison between the two a couple months ago, I still prefered the LCD-2r2...by a nose.

 

Subtility, refinement, detail and musicality went to the LCD-3. Bass slam, smoothness, general sonic enjoyment and fun factor went to the LCD-2.

 

BUT that was for me in my set up that has been change since then.

So the relatively spikey (maybe un-even is a better word) treble and closed in sound of the LCD-2s didn't bother you? What was the rig? On my Lyr/DLIII, the differences weren't as wide and I can see how you felt, but on my WA22, Liquid Fire or GS-X (with my W4S DAC-2), the differences were very noticeable. wink.gif


Edited by MacedonianHero - 6/15/13 at 9:28pm
post #6356 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

+1. I never found the LCD3 $1000 (now $800) better than the LCD2's neither. It's when people jump on the hype train and go OMG 1-5% sound difference = night and day difference and it magically fixes the flaws of the headphones design and sound which modding cannot even fix itself. The LCD3 is a fun sounding headphone but there are better alternatives for less. If money is no problem than more then power to you.

I checked a little, but LCD3 was still 950 $ more expensive

post #6357 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

Actually already have and lucky me I preferred the LCD-2! It was only about 20 minutes I had with the LCD-3 but for $1000 extra, if they don't sound considerably better after that time, then I will be holding onto my money. Well you know...for 5 minutes longer biggrin.gif

5 minutes over buddy... and ?

post #6358 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

5 minutes over buddy... and ?

 

Well unfortunately I am flat broke so I can't buy anything tongue.gif Still so much to buy through. Amplifier, headphone cable, XLR cables, new coaxial cable, 'vegan' earpads...

 

Can't wait to try out the LCD-2 with my M3 (single ended unfortunately) amplifier, though. Hopefully it will satisfy me until I can afford a new amp (must at least have balanced inputs). Then I will be back down to Addicted to Audio to try out some amps again. Definitely going to be giving the Violectric V200 a go, as I forgot about it last time. I am wondering if I should try the Woo Audio WA22 as well, but it would only be a reference to what the LCD-2 would sound like with a tube amp (probably the Little Dot MKVI+) because they do not stock Little Dot products. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though or if it is a total waste of time. 

post #6359 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

There is no hype train. But the last 10-20% is where the real cost increases lie. Are the LCD-3s better than the LCD-2s, no doubt, are they 2x better nope...but nothing is linear with respect to cost in this range. If you want the "best" in general in audio...it's gonna cost you. Once I heard the LCD-3s, I couldn't go back to listening to my LCD-2s and sold them shortly thereafter.

 

 

+1

 

IMO - No question the LCD-3 is the better headphone.  Just like some may consider the 009s better than the 007s.  This is if you leave cost out.  When you bring cost in the mix things change.  However, the better headphone still remains the better headphone.  

 

I lived with the LCD-3 and the LCD-2.2 at the same time for weeks.  The LCD-2.2 just stop getting the head time.  For me the LCD-3s was better in each and every way I could think of.  Sold the LCD-2.2s with no questions asked.  

post #6360 of 7648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

 

Well unfortunately I am flat broke so I can't buy anything tongue.gif Still so much to buy through. Amplifier, headphone cable, XLR cables, new coaxial cable, 'vegan' earpads...

 

Can't wait to try out the LCD-2 with my M3 (single ended unfortunately) amplifier, though. Hopefully it will satisfy me until I can afford a new amp (must at least have balanced inputs). Then I will be back down to Addicted to Audio to try out some amps again. Definitely going to be giving the Violectric V200 a go, as I forgot about it last time. I am wondering if I should try the Woo Audio WA22 as well, but it would only be a reference to what the LCD-2 would sound like with a tube amp (probably the Little Dot MKVI+) because they do not stock Little Dot products. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though or if it is a total waste of time. 

You will find varied emotions on pairing any Audez'e to a tube amp. I currently listen to the LCD 2.2 paired to the Lyr or the Soloist. To my ears, the Lyr is awesome and exciting. The Soloist is more neutral, laid back but a tad more musical. FWIW and good luck.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2