Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 330

post #4936 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc77 View Post

From what I can gather, the Lyr from Schiit is a good choice, but is there anything similar, but at a lower price point?

 

First you want M-Stage, then Lyr. How about actually deciding whether you want tubes or not? And explaining what else you are looking for, looks, soundwise.

post #4937 of 7561

I want a warm bassy sound. Slightly tubey.

 

Sounds like the schiit lyr is perfect for that

post #4938 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc77 View Post

I want a warm bassy sound. Slightly tubey.

 

Sounds like the schiit lyr is perfect for that

 

If you're just looking for "slightly tubey" why not get a tube like sounding ss like the Violectric or plenty of other SS?

post #4939 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

If you're just looking for "slightly tubey" why not get a tube like sounding ss like the Violectric or plenty of other SS?

He also wants something of similar/lesser cost.  The Violectric offerings are several hundred dollars more than the Lyr.

post #4940 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagothur View Post

He also wants something of similar/lesser cost.  The Violectric offerings are several hundred dollars more than the Lyr.

 

In my defense, I did say "or plenty of other SS" biggrin.gif

post #4941 of 7561

I prefer my LCD-2s with a neutral amp such as Beta22. BY itself, LCD-2s are already "warm" enough for my taste. My FirstWatt F2 speaker amp provides slightly more warmth to LCD-2s, but it is probably an overkill unless you listen at loud volume (>83 db).

post #4942 of 7561

The LCD-2 + smooth amp + neutral source = pure audio bliss.

post #4943 of 7561

Hi guys, can u help me out? Im currently thinking of upgrading from a Lyr. Have to mention I like to have a tubey sound but I am hoping for a SS alternative.

 

I prefer SS as I find tubes to be quite troublesome when u consider tube rolling and isolation, warm up etc etc. I've read good things about the V200 and I've tested it out as well and it is quite a very pleasant amp.

 

As of now, Im looking for recommendations for around the V200 price range and to do more research so I can make a better decision. Can you guys pls help me out? Thanks biggrin.gif

post #4944 of 7561

So your looking for a SS amp that sounds like a tube amp?  

 

The closest you could get to that would probably be:

V200

Burson 160D

Balanced M^3

 

Although I think a 4 channel βeta-22 would be best.


Edited by preproman - 8/26/12 at 5:13am
post #4945 of 7561

Maybe the Schiit Mjolnir?

Edited, ya I know the gungnir is a dac :P


Edited by beaver316 - 8/26/12 at 6:22am
post #4946 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

So your looking for a SS amp that sounds like a tube amp?  

 

The closest you could get to that would probably be:

V200

Burson 160D

Balanced M^3

 

Although I think a 4 channel βeta-22 would be best.

 Yeah, although that sounds like an impossible dream but thats what im aiming for.

I enjoyed the V200 and i've tried the burson 160D and wasnt that really impressed with it :/

ill have to look at the other 2 though. Thanks for ur help :) Any other recommendations? Seems mjolnir and bryston are generating alot of buzz too?

post #4947 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Maybe the Schiit Gungnir?

 

 

The Gungnir is a DAC

post #4948 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Maybe the Schiit Gungnir?

Mjolnir not Gungnir. tongue.gif

 

I haven't heard Mjolnir yet, though one is on order. I would mirror Preproman's recommendation.

Just didn't think the V200 was all that great.

 

IF you could swing it look into the GS-X as well. Though it's not "tubey" at all. haha

post #4949 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

 Yeah, although that sounds like an impossible dream but thats what im aiming for.

I enjoyed the V200 and i've tried the burson 160D and wasnt that really impressed with it :/

ill have to look at the other 2 though. Thanks for ur help :) Any other recommendations? Seems mjolnir and bryston are generating alot of buzz too?

 

 

Yes but they are neutral amps.  They won't sound anywhere near a tube amp.  They are SS amps to down to the bone.  I speak from owning the Bryston and reading threads on the Mjolir.

post #4950 of 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

IF you could swing it look into the GS-X as well. Though it's not "tubey" at all. haha

 

You are absolutely right about that.  As far from a tubey sound there is..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2