I was actually wondering the same thing. Just ordered a T1 and am on the list for LCD-2's. I know Skylab liked both the T1's and the LCD-2's with the Concerto. But is there a better (in my case sub-1000$) option?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudezetagged by System, 6/22/10
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/22/10
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 4/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/27/10
- productLeben CS-300Xtagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $200-$1000 [POLL] Last post on 5/12/14 at 2:23am in High-end Audio Forum
- The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one... Last post on 8/2/14 at 6:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 8/14/14 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 5/19/11 at 6:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here Last post on 11/22/11 at 8:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 23post #331 of 76907/31/10 at 9:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #332 of 76907/31/10 at 9:10pm
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it. I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one. That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either. I think it was the model before the Concerto though. That was at Canjam 09. Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit. On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.post #333 of 76907/31/10 at 9:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by dallan
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it. I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one. That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either. I think it was the model before the Concerto though. That was at Canjam 09. Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit. On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.
Sample sizes of one are dangerous.post #334 of 76907/31/10 at 9:16pmpost #335 of 76907/31/10 at 9:45pm
So I made my décision : Its going to be the SPL Auditor.
It's incredibely good reputation and its Hi-End specifications are the reasons.
Frequency Response: ‹5 Hz to ›200 kHz (-3 dB)
CMR:-80 dBu (@1 kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -84 dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,001 % (@ 1kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97 dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129 dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)
Edited by frenshprince - 7/31/10 at 9:46pmpost #336 of 76907/31/10 at 10:05pm
Only problem with that is the power is more on higher impedance. Still probably enough but isn't the LCD-2 like 52 Ohms? I would think that you would want that to be the focus of an amp for these phones.
Max. Output Performance:
1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection
Edited by dallan - 7/31/10 at 10:07pmpost #337 of 76907/31/10 at 11:22pm
Do a search for SPL and "low impedance" headphones. Also, Auditor and short circuit killing several headphones.post #338 of 76907/31/10 at 11:36pm
I have the LCD-2 and an Auditor at home at the moment, and the match is definitely not a good one. The Auditor is fairly good for the T1 (used to have it), but again not an ideal match IMO.
Davepost #339 of 76908/1/10 at 12:20am
I agree that the Auditor, or Phonitor for that matter, is more compatible with high impedance ( i.e. >300 Ohms ) headphones.
it is due to their 120 ohms output impedance.
My experience on Phonitor when paired with AKG 702 and JVC 1000 was not a satisfying one.
I'll presume the LCD-2 would require an amplifier that is capable of providing superb micro dynamic/transient control to unfold the phone's sound potential. By this an amplifier has to be stable when driving current into low-impedance phones like LCD_2.
Just my 2 cents ...post #340 of 76908/1/10 at 4:15am
Outch, you all killed my dream
If I understand, it has to be a amp with possibility to change gain according to headphones impedance.
So considering that the T1 and the LCD-2 have different impédance, what should I buy to be happy ?
Edited by frenshprince - 8/1/10 at 4:29ampost #341 of 76908/1/10 at 5:39am
It's not just a matter of gain, it's also a matter of the amp's output impedance. When the amp's output impedance is higher than the headphone's impedance, the response is affected. It's not always a bad thing, it's possible that the headphone's FR will change for the better, but often it's bad. I liked this thread, nikongod can give a better explanation than I.post #342 of 76908/1/10 at 5:56am
But It's still sound quite complicated to me.
So in this particular case, the Auditor will work well with T1 and other high impedance cans (like 770/880/990 at 600ohm), but not with the audeze nor cans at 80oms.
Am I correct ?post #343 of 76908/1/10 at 6:37am
... I can't say definitely it'll be bad, but it's a risk. There are negative listening impressions + there is technical reason to believe this combo will be bad, so I'd avoid it if I were you.post #344 of 76908/1/10 at 7:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by nickchen
He had bought a 2nd hand (almost new) Auditor, which sounded fine (except high distortion sounds when switching on/off or when pluggin in/out). But soon his cans died, so he sent it to SPL for repair. They officially stated the amp wasn't faulty, but nevertheless sent him a brand new as exchange. That 2nd one worked fine for a couple of weeks, then the HP started to die again (a T1 was also victim BTW). He sent it again to SPL, they said, one Opamp was defective, and they stated that is was a user fault - to slow plugging in and out with too long resulting short circuits.
Normal amps have protective measures for that case, but SPL is audiophile, they state it sounds better without...
They sent him a 3rd one, which he sold directly.
Edited by Kurt - 8/1/10 at 7:30ampost #345 of 76908/1/10 at 7:28amThread Starter
Very few amps let you adjust output impedance. My Trafomatic Head One allows for switching between 30/100/300. I hope to be able to hear it some day too see how much difference it makes... Some have dual inputs one for low z and one for high z.
As for the Auditor it´s a neutral amp with no added warmth or audiophile tricks from my experience. Some like that some doesn´t. In comparison to my GHP I find the T1 being clearly better on the Auditor whereas I preferr the Goldpoint headphone Pro on just about all my low impedance headphones. The Auditor aren´t bad with them but doesn´t quite match up to the Goldpoint I feel. Much due to better impedance matching I suspect. I don´t know how much current the GHP is capable of delivering though I suspect it´s higher then the Auditors.
Both these are really nice neutral amps and thus won´t destroy nothing.
I would die to somehow get to know what current output my Goldpoint headphone Pro has though. But I suspect it has plenty enough because the bass control of it is phenomenal. And I want to believe that both the Pro 900/DX 1000 would be very revealing on sloppy bass ;)
Auditor can congest a bit with my low impedance headphones just like the T1 can congest on the GHP slightly. It gives more body and "rumble" so some may actually appreciate that.
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 42 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17 potentially bricked by L7 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 6 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 6 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)