I was actually wondering the same thing. Just ordered a T1 and am on the list for LCD-2's. I know Skylab liked both the T1's and the LCD-2's with the Concerto. But is there a better (in my case sub-1000$) option?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAudezetagged by System, 6/23/10
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 6/23/10
- productCavalli Audio Liquid Firetagged by System, 4/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/27/10
- productLeben CS-300Xtagged by System, 6/30/10
- brandMeier Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productMeier Audio Concertotagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one... Last post on 11/12/13 at 2:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 11/15/13 at 6:41pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Leben CS600 in DC area -- anyone with LCD2, T1, GS1000, HD800, 702 who wants to listen? Last post on 5/19/11 at 6:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is finally here Last post on 11/22/11 at 8:45pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Are headphone amps frustrating and depressing? Last post on 7/12/11 at 3:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 23post #331 of 69827/31/10 at 9:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #332 of 69827/31/10 at 9:10pm
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it. I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one. That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either. I think it was the model before the Concerto though. That was at Canjam 09. Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit. On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.post #333 of 69827/31/10 at 9:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by dallan
As stated earlier, I bet on the V200 after first seeing the specs and then hearing it. I have heard mixed things about Meiers amps and have only heard one. That ones particular owner didn't have a high opinion of it either. I think it was the model before the Concerto though. That was at Canjam 09. Didn't sound all that bad to me actually but when an owner complains i worry a bit. On the other head the owner of the V200 was very happy with his and he had the LCD2 in line.
Sample sizes of one are dangerous.post #334 of 69827/31/10 at 9:16pmpost #335 of 69827/31/10 at 9:45pm
So I made my décision : Its going to be the SPL Auditor.
It's incredibely good reputation and its Hi-End specifications are the reasons.
Frequency Response: ‹5 Hz to ›200 kHz (-3 dB)
CMR:-80 dBu (@1 kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -84 dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,001 % (@ 1kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97 dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129 dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)
Edited by frenshprince - 7/31/10 at 9:46pmpost #336 of 69827/31/10 at 10:05pm
Only problem with that is the power is more on higher impedance. Still probably enough but isn't the LCD-2 like 52 Ohms? I would think that you would want that to be the focus of an amp for these phones.
Max. Output Performance:
1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection
Edited by dallan - 7/31/10 at 10:07pmpost #337 of 69827/31/10 at 11:22pm
Do a search for SPL and "low impedance" headphones. Also, Auditor and short circuit killing several headphones.post #338 of 69827/31/10 at 11:36pm
I have the LCD-2 and an Auditor at home at the moment, and the match is definitely not a good one. The Auditor is fairly good for the T1 (used to have it), but again not an ideal match IMO.
Davepost #339 of 69828/1/10 at 12:20am
I agree that the Auditor, or Phonitor for that matter, is more compatible with high impedance ( i.e. >300 Ohms ) headphones.
it is due to their 120 ohms output impedance.
My experience on Phonitor when paired with AKG 702 and JVC 1000 was not a satisfying one.
I'll presume the LCD-2 would require an amplifier that is capable of providing superb micro dynamic/transient control to unfold the phone's sound potential. By this an amplifier has to be stable when driving current into low-impedance phones like LCD_2.
Just my 2 cents ...post #340 of 69828/1/10 at 4:15am
Outch, you all killed my dream
If I understand, it has to be a amp with possibility to change gain according to headphones impedance.
So considering that the T1 and the LCD-2 have different impédance, what should I buy to be happy ?
Edited by frenshprince - 8/1/10 at 4:29ampost #341 of 69828/1/10 at 5:39am
It's not just a matter of gain, it's also a matter of the amp's output impedance. When the amp's output impedance is higher than the headphone's impedance, the response is affected. It's not always a bad thing, it's possible that the headphone's FR will change for the better, but often it's bad. I liked this thread, nikongod can give a better explanation than I.post #342 of 69828/1/10 at 5:56am
But It's still sound quite complicated to me.
So in this particular case, the Auditor will work well with T1 and other high impedance cans (like 770/880/990 at 600ohm), but not with the audeze nor cans at 80oms.
Am I correct ?post #343 of 69828/1/10 at 6:37am
... I can't say definitely it'll be bad, but it's a risk. There are negative listening impressions + there is technical reason to believe this combo will be bad, so I'd avoid it if I were you.post #344 of 69828/1/10 at 7:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by nickchen
He had bought a 2nd hand (almost new) Auditor, which sounded fine (except high distortion sounds when switching on/off or when pluggin in/out). But soon his cans died, so he sent it to SPL for repair. They officially stated the amp wasn't faulty, but nevertheless sent him a brand new as exchange. That 2nd one worked fine for a couple of weeks, then the HP started to die again (a T1 was also victim BTW). He sent it again to SPL, they said, one Opamp was defective, and they stated that is was a user fault - to slow plugging in and out with too long resulting short circuits.
Normal amps have protective measures for that case, but SPL is audiophile, they state it sounds better without...
They sent him a 3rd one, which he sold directly.
Edited by Kurt - 8/1/10 at 7:30ampost #345 of 69828/1/10 at 7:28amThread Starter
Very few amps let you adjust output impedance. My Trafomatic Head One allows for switching between 30/100/300. I hope to be able to hear it some day too see how much difference it makes... Some have dual inputs one for low z and one for high z.
As for the Auditor it´s a neutral amp with no added warmth or audiophile tricks from my experience. Some like that some doesn´t. In comparison to my GHP I find the T1 being clearly better on the Auditor whereas I preferr the Goldpoint headphone Pro on just about all my low impedance headphones. The Auditor aren´t bad with them but doesn´t quite match up to the Goldpoint I feel. Much due to better impedance matching I suspect. I don´t know how much current the GHP is capable of delivering though I suspect it´s higher then the Auditors.
Both these are really nice neutral amps and thus won´t destroy nothing.
I would die to somehow get to know what current output my Goldpoint headphone Pro has though. But I suspect it has plenty enough because the bass control of it is phenomenal. And I want to believe that both the Pro 900/DX 1000 would be very revealing on sloppy bass ;)
Auditor can congest a bit with my low impedance headphones just like the T1 can congest on the GHP slightly. It gives more body and "rumble" so some may actually appreciate that.
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 13 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society 14 seconds ago
- › what do I need to know about teeth whitening? 1 minute ago
- › AKG new headphone K545? 1 minute ago
- › Singapore Head-Fi Meet 8th December 2013 [Pictures] 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HisoundAudio BA100 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Need help for the best "closed" or "semi-closed' over ear for... 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA7 Silver Brand New 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi