Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 108

post #1606 of 7727

Has anyone compared the DACmini against the concerto/stage DAC combo? Which is better with the LCD2s?

post #1607 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL View Post

Has anyone compared the DACmini against the concerto/stage DAC combo? Which is better with the LCD2s?


popcorn.gif

post #1608 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHorn View Post

I want to second the suggestion of the Burson over the Peachtree gear.


I love this match. 

Burson>lcd-2>wow! 

 

post #1609 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Speaking of tube amps and the LCD-2, I have been spending quite a bit of time with the Trafomatic Head One driving the LCD-2, and feel this is a really excellent and synergistic pairing.


Which one do you like better?  That Trafomatic Head One or the mini Torii?

post #1610 of 7727

I think the Mini-Torii is the slightly better amp for the LCD-2 - it's got a bit more dynamics.  It's also a bit more lush.  But the Trafomatic is a very nice amp with the LCD-2, and I have been using it more and more.

post #1611 of 7727

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation here and don't know how to proceed. Hoping the collected pool of knowledge here will help me out...

 

I'm in the process of selling my current rig, the Headroom UDA in favor of trying some thing else out with my LCD's; mainly a tube amp. But I really have no idea what source to pair it with. I haven't had a chance to attend a meet since I've been here so I don't know what gear pairs best. 

 

So here's the skinny. I've got roughly 2500$ bucks to spend putting together a new rig. But I'm wanting a tube set up. I've (I think) got it narrowed down to about two choices; 1. One of two Woo amps (the 6-SE or WA2) with whatever source (still don't know what) and 2. The RWA Isabellina which is exactly priced to my budget.

 

I'm attracted towards the RWA since it's got both the amp/dac combo, but this turned out to be my achilles heel in my current set up as I can't swap out my amp from the source. And as I understand it, the RWA has a dual tube output in the amp so does this classify as a "tube" amp?

 

On a side note; I initially started thinking about a change when I plugged my cheap ion turntable into my analog input of my Ultra Desktop. While the low quality of the source/turntable was evident I absolutely loved its presentation of the analog sound. I guess this is what I want in my new sound. The Ultra sounded very "digital" in comparison if that's even a useful term to describe it. Will a tube amp present a more analog sound or will I have to go in search of a high end turntable. I REALLY don't want to go down that road because of inconvenience record players present; cleaning the records, actually finding records I want to listen to (oh, and NO vinyl stores here in Wichita) and worrying about upkeep. Is that part of the price of using vinyl?

I guess I'm wanting a sound similar to what I heard on my record player... I'm not even sure how to label it; organic, natural, warm, rounded, smooth etc...

 

So in short, HALP!!!biggrin.gif

post #1612 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo View Post

 

On a side note; I initially started thinking about a change when I plugged my cheap ion turntable into my analog input of my Ultra Desktop. While the low quality of the source/turntable was evident I absolutely loved its presentation of the analog sound. I guess this is what I want in my new sound. The Ultra sounded very "digital" in comparison if that's even a useful term to describe it. Will a tube amp present a more analog sound or will I have to go in search of a high end turntable. I REALLY don't want to go down that road because of inconvenience record players present; cleaning the records, actually finding records I want to listen to (oh, and NO vinyl stores here in Wichita) and worrying about upkeep. Is that part of the price of using vinyl?

I guess I'm wanting a sound similar to what I heard on my record player... I'm not even sure how to label it; organic, natural, warm, rounded, smooth etc...

 

So in short, HALP!!!biggrin.gif

 

What you heard was the cheap preamp in your turntable, the subtle intermodulation of the turntable rumble superimposed upon the audio signal noise floor, all with 20dB of channel separation and 45dB of dynamic range.     

L3000.gif

 


 

post #1613 of 7727

*ahem* Well whatever that means in English, I'm sure it's a good thing.

post #1614 of 7727
Vinyl sounds good in spite of some of its measurements (although some of its measurements are terrific). But even with a very entry-level turntable like that one, some of the vinyl magic apparently came through biggrin.gif

Maybe what you should consider is a DAC with a tube output stage. I love my Audio by Van Alstine Hybrid Vision DAC, but that would shoot your whole budget. The Music Hall 25.2 has a tube output stage, and is pretty decent for the money, but it doesn't have the same degree of analog-like smoothness that the AVA has. Real analog smoothness and naturalness from digital sources seems to cost a lot, IME.
post #1615 of 7727

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Vinyl sounds good in spite of some of its measurements (although some of its measurements are terrific). But even with a very entry-level turntable like that one, some of the vinyl magic apparently came through biggrin.gif

Maybe what you should consider is a DAC with a tube output stage. I love my Audio by Van Alstine Hybrid Vision DAC, but that would shoot your whole budget. The Music Hall 25.2 has a tube output stage, and is pretty decent for the money, but it doesn't have the same degree of analog-like smoothness that the AVA has. Real analog smoothness and naturalness from digital sources seems to cost a lot, IME.


I was looking into that one but decided against it because the tube output stage on the 25.2/3 is only for the single-ended line outs; if you want to use it balanced, the output is 100% SS.

post #1616 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo View Post

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation here and don't know how to proceed. Hoping the collected pool of knowledge here will help me out...

 

I'm in the process of selling my current rig, the Headroom UDA in favor of trying some thing else out with my LCD's; mainly a tube amp. But I really have no idea what source to pair it with. I haven't had a chance to attend a meet since I've been here so I don't know what gear pairs best. 

 

So here's the skinny. I've got roughly 2500$ bucks to spend putting together a new rig. But I'm wanting a tube set up. I've (I think) got it narrowed down to about two choices; 1. One of two Woo amps (the 6-SE or WA2) with whatever source (still don't know what) and 2. The RWA Isabellina which is exactly priced to my budget.

 

I'm attracted towards the RWA since it's got both the amp/dac combo, but this turned out to be my achilles heel in my current set up as I can't swap out my amp from the source. And as I understand it, the RWA has a dual tube output in the amp so does this classify as a "tube" amp?

 

On a side note; I initially started thinking about a change when I plugged my cheap ion turntable into my analog input of my Ultra Desktop. While the low quality of the source/turntable was evident I absolutely loved its presentation of the analog sound. I guess this is what I want in my new sound. The Ultra sounded very "digital" in comparison if that's even a useful term to describe it. Will a tube amp present a more analog sound or will I have to go in search of a high end turntable. I REALLY don't want to go down that road because of inconvenience record players present; cleaning the records, actually finding records I want to listen to (oh, and NO vinyl stores here in Wichita) and worrying about upkeep. Is that part of the price of using vinyl?

I guess I'm wanting a sound similar to what I heard on my record player... I'm not even sure how to label it; organic, natural, warm, rounded, smooth etc...

 

So in short, HALP!!!biggrin.gif


FWIW, I agree with Skylab WRT digital being expensive before, in my experience, a certain edgy high frequency phenomena is eliminated.  On the Bryston and Reference 7 DAC both costing in the vicinity of 2K did not irritate me, with the Ref7 sounding a tad more rounded and natural to me.  OTOH...a NOS dac can seem to achieve the same elimination of edgy digititis...my one cost 60 dollars and there are "some" things it can do that nothing else I heard can (vocals).  Every other typical midrange DAC annoy me to no end.

 

It just so happens that the Red Wine is built upon a NOS dac with tubes...I would love to hear this unit.

post #1617 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Vinyl sounds good in spite of some of its measurements (although some of its measurements are terrific). But even with a very entry-level turntable like that one, some of the vinyl magic apparently came through biggrin.gif

Maybe what you should consider is a DAC with a tube output stage. I love my Audio by Van Alstine Hybrid Vision DAC, but that would shoot your whole budget. The Music Hall 25.2 has a tube output stage, and is pretty decent for the money, but it doesn't have the same degree of analog-like smoothness that the AVA has. Real analog smoothness and naturalness from digital sources seems to cost a lot, IME.

The 25.2 tweaked and tube rolled seems to sound pretty liquid and detailed to me.
 

post #1618 of 7727
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I was looking into that one but decided against it because the tube output stage on the 25.2/3 is only for the single-ended line outs; if you want to use it balanced, the output is 100% SS.

 

That's true, the balanced output is SS only.  SE works great for me.

post #1619 of 7727

The MHDT Havana is another outstandingly good sounding DAC for the money.

post #1620 of 7727

I've got my eye on the Havana, there is even a true balanced version, very rare to see a balanced tubed NOS dac, the balanced output is tubed as is the SE output.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2