Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 11

post #151 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




The ED8 isn't even in the same league.  Not worthy to be compared.  ED8 is a fun can, but not a serious one IMHO.

Oh wow, that drastic, huh?

 

I'm counting the days until they tell me my LCD2 is ready. In a way I almost wish they end up being borderline case for me, just so that I have an excuse to take it on a trip with me so I can compare it to the 007MKII. It's kind of silly, but if the LCD2's impress so much that I'm willing to forget how much I loved the 007MKII, then that means my headphone journey is over and I'll never hear the 007MKII's again. But that could also be a blessing, because it would save me from spending the $4k on that Stax rig.
 

post #152 of 7757



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




The ED8 isn't even in the same league.  Not worthy to be compared.  ED8 is a fun can, but not a serious one IMHO.


I like LCD-2 but for fast rock and pop Edition8 wins by margin in PRAT,  clarity, detail retrieval, bass slam and sparkle. For classical, T1 powered by Phonitor is just magic ( with sacds). If I would have to keep just one hp, it would be LCD-2 (with its shortcomings) it is just pleasure with any music or movies.
 


Edited by Markj - 7/3/10 at 8:13am
post #153 of 7757



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj View Post



 


I like LCD-2 but for fast rock and pop Edition8 wins by margin in PRAT,  clarity, detail retrieval, bass slam and sparkle. For classical, T1 powered by Phonitor is just magic ( with sacds). If I would have to keep just one hp, it would be LCD-2 (with its shortcomings) it is just pleasure with any music or movies.
 


How are the LCD-2 with the Phonitor?
 

post #154 of 7757

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I really liked my Rudistor, but it would be an anti LCD-2 amp being tubey in the smooth, weighty, bloom style.  Good for a leanish can like the Beyer 880 I had at the time but just too far off neutral to line up with the LCD-2.  And expensive.  Good room heaters though 


I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

 

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.

post #155 of 7757


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj View Post



 


I like LCD-2 but for fast rock and pop Edition8 wins by margin in PRAT,  clarity, detail retrieval, bass slam and sparkle. For classical, T1 powered by Phonitor is just magic ( with sacds). If I would have to keep just one hp, it would be LCD-2 (with its shortcomings) it is just pleasure with any music or movies.
 

The LCD-2 is way above ED-8  in everything thats for sure but when source is not ideal for LCD all is possible
 

post #156 of 7757


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post

 


I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

 

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.


I have heard recently the RPX-33 it is possibly a good match for the LCD .I dont think that RPX-33 has that kind of flavor wich ruins the sound but if something appears wrong you should look at your other sources.As far as i understood  the sound of the rudistor is little bit on the warm side but not in that way how tubes do it so when you have clean source everything should be ok.


Edited by thinker - 7/3/10 at 10:36am
post #157 of 7757

Yes, thinker, this is pretty much how I feel/expect.

 

I will report back!

post #158 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIGS View Post



 


How are the LCD-2 with the Phonitor?
 



Don't have other amps to compare, Phonitor adds more dynamics and detail compare to my Av receiver and blu-ray and with LCD-2 Phonitor (build for 600 OHM HP) has totaly silent backround unlike Edition8 and K-701.

 View Post


 


Edited by Markj - 7/3/10 at 11:23am
post #159 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post


 

The LCD-2 is way above ED-8  in everything thats for sure but when source is not ideal for LCD all is possible
 


"Way above" is a strong statement. Edition8 has a place among the top closed headphones. Showcase of genius engineering and design in small package. I have lot of rock and pop SACD and yes, they sound better.
 


Edited by Markj - 7/3/10 at 11:26am
post #160 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj View Post




"Way above" is a strong statement. Edition8 has a place among the top closed headphones. Showcase of genius engineering and design in small package. I have lot of rock and pop SACD and yes, they sound better.
 

Just because they're in a different category, does not make them "bad" or lesser headphones, they are simply for a different purpose and use.
 

post #161 of 7757
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj View Post





Don't have other amps to compare, Phonitor adds more dynamics and detail compare to my Av receiver and blu-ray and with LCD-2 Phonitor (build for 600 OHM HP) has totaly silent backround unlike Edition8 and K-701.

 View Post


 

Seems like you have some problem with noise from your source or Phonitor is not as quiet as the Auditor? All my headphones are dead silent on my Auditor. I mostly have low impedance ones. Even if I go through my Behringer DEQ2496 it´s still totally silent.

post #162 of 7757

I disagree that the Edition 8 is not a "serious" headphone.  IMHO, it is indeed.  It is a closed headphone, which means certain drawbacks and limitations.  I think it's the best current-production, dynamic, closed headphone there is, however.

post #163 of 7757

Truth is SPL amps are one of the finest option for Ultrasone. For Audez'e who knows..

post #164 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post

 


I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

 

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.


Mine was the 5.1 tube/ss hybrid not the pure ss one.

post #165 of 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post

 

I have high expectations for my RPX-33 when the LCD-2 arrives. My RudiStor does have a sound that is slightly warm on the tuby sound, but I've never been disappointed with its performance from any headphones. Even with my JH-13 it has a virtually dead silent background and sounds absolutely fantastic.

 

I just don't see how this pairing couldn't be awesome, even if it adds a little flavor.


I don't have the experience with desktop amps other than the RPX-33 and only have used it with 4 headphones, 2 IEMs and 2 full sized, so I hope you are right!  I am very happy with the T1/RPX-33 pairing and hope the LCD-2 is a good match.  But I too don't see how this pairing could be bad!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2