most modern opamps have no need to be class A, modifying a truly modern opamp for class A operation (as easy as a couple of resistors) will often make the sound worse not better. dont buy into catch phrases without knowing why.
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 6/3/10
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/3/10
- productWestone UM3X / 3X - True Triple Armature Drivers In-ear Monitor Professional Earphonetagged by System, 6/3/10
Related Forum Threads
- Ferrari of IEM's? Last post on 1/22/13 at 1:41am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 3 vs Gr07 vs Sm3 vs Fx700 vs Ie8 vs Ex1000 for electronic music Last post on 1/11/13 at 1:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need Recommendations on BA-based iem with decent sub bass rumble besides TF10 Last post on 7/3/13 at 9:21am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Metal/Rock (replacement for Brainwavz M3) Last post on 1/18/13 at 1:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website link:...
Preamble: Hi guys, I'm a budding audio-appreciator since starting on this journey about a year and a half ago. I just have average ears that like to listen to slightly above average music and so...
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Brainwavz S3 you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated...
Introduction First of all, I would like to thank Aune (@AuneAudio) for giving me the opportunity to review their unit. This is the link to the relevant head-fi thread:...
Portable class A headphone amps - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I really don't understand why someone would want a class-A HP amp. I used to own a class-A mono-block pair of amps for a full range ribbon speakers but for HP application?
Because I'd rather not carry a lot of batteries or a huge amp around if I'm going portable.
didnt you used to have the class a topkit for D10 from hiflight? with some older opamps it works quite well, but most modern chips already runin a or ab stock
EL8201 as buffers for the D10 with AD744 output bypassed class A opamps. I actually like this combo, very warm-sounding.
The battery life seems good, good power too:
UP TO 12 HOURS CONTINUES USE BATTERY LIFE
ONLY 2 TO 3 HOURS CHARGING TIME
"LABORATORY HAND MADE IN THE USA"
A hundred times, a hundred watts per channel, is one thing. But a hundred times what it takes to push in-ear earphones should be tiny in comparison.
What do you need impedance: 56 ohms? 100 times whatever it is can’t be much larger than a ipod. How does that constant current work?
I believe that the HiSound Amp3 mp3 player/amp combo is supposedly Class A. I can definitely tell you that it doesn't offer a lot of headroom so it can drive most IEMS and low imp headphones (32-60 ohms) but it might not get as loud as one would like. Not to mention the hiss on the unit is distracting at times
The AMP3 certainly doesn't drive my iems very well: closed in stereo and loads of hiss, not to mention the somewhat noticeable bass roll off: far from good with earphones. It is comfortable with 100Ω and more.
Thank you I did not know until now that the uAMP109G2 was a class A amp.
What does inefficient and practical have to do with getting the best sound possible? My home amps have that class A sound. Why would anyone want to go on the road with anything less. That is of course unless they have never heard it.
There are too many zeros on that THD+N. It's physically impossible.
- Portable class A headphone amps
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado e Series 21 seconds ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 50 seconds ago
- › FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Translation Contest 57 seconds ago
- › 2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015) 57 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › AT CKS77 or Yamaha EPH-100 or something else 3 minutes ago
- › Should I buy the Philips SHP9500 for $120, wait, or get another... 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 5 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by GioF71
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Philips SHE3905BK/27 In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Black by Whitigir
- › Music Hall de-be Portable Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2