most modern opamps have no need to be class A, modifying a truly modern opamp for class A operation (as easy as a couple of resistors) will often make the sound worse not better. dont buy into catch phrases without knowing why.
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 6/3/10
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 6/3/10
- productWestone UM3X / 3X - True Triple Armature Drivers In-ear Monitor Professional Earphonetagged by System, 6/3/10
Related Forum Threads
- Ferrari of IEM's? Last post on 1/22/13 at 1:41am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 3 vs Gr07 vs Sm3 vs Fx700 vs Ie8 vs Ex1000 for electronic music Last post on 1/11/13 at 1:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need Recommendations on BA-based iem with decent sub bass rumble besides TF10 Last post on 7/3/13 at 9:21am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Metal/Rock (replacement for Brainwavz M3) Last post on 1/18/13 at 1:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Portable class A headphone amps - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Because I'd rather not carry a lot of batteries or a huge amp around if I'm going portable.
didnt you used to have the class a topkit for D10 from hiflight? with some older opamps it works quite well, but most modern chips already runin a or ab stock
EL8201 as buffers for the D10 with AD744 output bypassed class A opamps. I actually like this combo, very warm-sounding.
The battery life seems good, good power too:
UP TO 12 HOURS CONTINUES USE BATTERY LIFE
ONLY 2 TO 3 HOURS CHARGING TIME
"LABORATORY HAND MADE IN THE USA"
A hundred times, a hundred watts per channel, is one thing. But a hundred times what it takes to push in-ear earphones should be tiny in comparison.
What do you need impedance: 56 ohms? 100 times whatever it is can’t be much larger than a ipod. How does that constant current work?
I believe that the HiSound Amp3 mp3 player/amp combo is supposedly Class A. I can definitely tell you that it doesn't offer a lot of headroom so it can drive most IEMS and low imp headphones (32-60 ohms) but it might not get as loud as one would like. Not to mention the hiss on the unit is distracting at times
The AMP3 certainly doesn't drive my iems very well: closed in stereo and loads of hiss, not to mention the somewhat noticeable bass roll off: far from good with earphones. It is comfortable with 100Ω and more.
Thank you I did not know until now that the uAMP109G2 was a class A amp.
What does inefficient and practical have to do with getting the best sound possible? My home amps have that class A sound. Why would anyone want to go on the road with anything less. That is of course unless they have never heard it.
There are too many zeros on that THD+N. It's physically impossible.
- Portable class A headphone amps
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Astro Mixamp + Amp help! 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › I don't quite understand this whole "balanced output/input"deal,... 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › [EU] Hifiman HE-500 + Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost UBER 4 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet #2 -- Fall 2014 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X1 impressions 8 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp 8 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)