New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH-3A - Page 2  

post #16 of 2679


Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

now i wonder if the dsp work is done digitally? and is it digitally controlled analog volume, or if the dsp work is digital is it actual digital volume control. If its done digital there would be no reason for the analog inputs, because even if you had the best dac available it would be going through a ADC->DAC again anyways.

 

We need more info's jude 

 

also more info on the amp, besides just battery life, i wondering about topology. With 6 amp channels in that tiny little thing, does that mean there are 4 cables going to each earpiece? and since its 6 channels, that means it must be opamp driven, which ones does it use?


DSP (Digital Signal Processing) has to be done digitally... I think your point about this ideally being fed SPDIF is thus valid but It depends of course on the quality of the built-in DAC. ADC>DAC is not necessarilly a deal breaker if well implemented.

 

I was definitely not asking about batter life (except that if it has 500 hours of battery life, I'm not buying it). User replacable 9V battery would be very nice.

post #17 of 2679

Not saying anything about usability..

But how did no one touched the subject of how unfair the price is for existing customers. even if there's some modification to do, I don't see a reason why to charge for it.

Non the less.. would be interesting to see if some members would jump on a 2nd pair just for that and stick with the first for portability.

post #18 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi126 View Post

Not saying anything about usability..

But how did no one touched the subject of how unfair the price is for existing customers. even if there's some modification to do, I don't see a reason why to charge for it.

Non the less.. would be interesting to see if some members would jump on a 2nd pair just for that and stick with the first for portability.


I was going to do that, but no. $1,099? No.

post #19 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post


Quote:


DSP (Digital Signal Processing) has to be done digitally... I think your point about this ideally being fed SPDIF is thus valid but It depends of course on the quality of the built-in DAC. ADC>DAC is not necessarilly a deal breaker if well implemented.

 

I was definitely not asking about batter life (except that if it has 500 hours of battery life, I'm not buying it). User replacable 9V battery would be very nice.

 

it does depend entirely on the quality of the built in ADC and DAC chips, as i said, the quality of your external dac would be moot because of the extra conversion process its going to go through. I wonder how it will compete with using a high end dac along with a high end amp. though the time/phase domain improvements could be more than worth it, we will have to wait and see. but if this beast is everything it could be, we could be getting the best audio available out of a DAP with digital out, which is nuts.
 

 

EDIT: so i was about to ask most of these questions on the facebook post they put up for it, but i realized i can just ask jerry himself at canjam in person, which will be much better i think, so ill just wait.


Edited by SoupRKnowva - 6/2/10 at 11:00pm
post #20 of 2679

Soup, agreed on all points except your original DAC will never be "moot" if using the 3A analogue in. That's your source. It's what you are listening to.

post #21 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Soup, agreed on all points except your original DAC will never be "moot" if using the 3A analogue in. That's your source. It's what you are listening to.


i guess thats true, i was really only thinking of if you have access to a direct digital feed, in that case it would be moot to go through another dac as well   like when im at home, there would be no reason to go digital out of laptop, to dac19 to this beast, much better to just go laptop to this thing...i cant freakin wait to hear it.

 

Edit: id like to apologize for the confusion and belaboring the point cooperpwc, we were saying the same thing essentially.

 

edit2: i wonder if the digital is optical, coax or usb?? though probably not usb

 

Edit3: I also just realized that since the crossover is digital and it has 6 amps, that means that it also has to have 6 channels of DAC, which means that it is most likely packin a ESS sabre chip of some kind!!


Edited by SoupRKnowva - 6/2/10 at 11:20pm
post #22 of 2679

No prob. I believe that SPDIF here probably equals coaxial using a shared mini input with the analogue.

 

Now here is the big question that it is way too early to ask but I will ask it...

 

Why would anyone get the 3A with the JH16 option?

...or maybe the question is: why would anyone get the 3A with the JH13 option?

'Which question is the correct question' is the actual question. :-)


Edited by cooperpwc - 6/3/10 at 3:22am
post #23 of 2679

Cool.  

 

Now what I really want to know what exactly is the color name for the purple monitors? They look just gorgeous.  Is it just "Transparent Purple"?  Wow.

post #24 of 2679

Why do I predict that you're going to change your mind within a few months, Sonic?

post #25 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Soup, agreed on all points except your original DAC will never be "moot" if using the 3A analogue in. That's your source. It's what you are listening to.


Actually, I think the your original DAC may be rendered be "moot", from what I read, I understand that if you use the analog inputs, there will be an ADC, then a digital crossover+DSP, a DA conversion and then the amp section like in the Beolab 5. Actually that's only a possible interpretation of how Jude's post which was not precise enough to say more.
 

post #26 of 2679
Khaos, I agree with your description but you are still wrong to say the original DAC is moot. That's pretty much equivalent to saying that it won't matter if you feed it the B-52s because Jerry has tuned it to play Peter, Paul and Mary. Using the analogue in, your first DAC is your source. Crap in, crap out. Orgasm in, orgasm out. (all assuming that the 3A then does a fine ADC>DAC job; I am guessing that it will.

Anyway, no long argument intended. I have made my point.
post #27 of 2679

Oh these should sound sweet 

post #28 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post

Why do I predict that you're going to change your mind within a few months, Sonic?


If it really unleashes the capabilities of these proprietary balanced armatures than unfortunately my wallet will have another whole in it.

post #29 of 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Khaos, I agree with your description but you are still wrong to say the original DAC is moot. That's pretty much equivalent to saying that it won't matter if you feed it the B-52s because Jerry has tuned it to play Peter, Paul and Mary. Using the analogue in, your first DAC is your source. Crap in, crap out. Orgasm in, orgasm out. (all assuming that the 3A then does a fine ADC>DAC job; I am guessing that it will.

Anyway, no long argument intended. I have made my point.


I mean that if the 3A works as an ADC>DSP>DAC, what would be the use of a separate DAC to feed the 3A, just feed it the digital signal out of the transport, otherwise you'll be just adding a conversion stage. The only point of using the analog input would be if you has a source with only an analog output, such as a turntable or the rare cd player without a digital input.

 

Otherwise the only way you own dac would be useful woul be if the active crossover was analog and the analog input bypassed both the DSPs for phase, frequency and bass control.
So, (for the analog input)

  • ADC > DSP > Digital crossovers > DAC  >Amp?
  • ADC > DSP > Digital crossovers > Digital amplification?
  • Analog crossovers >Amp?

 

I don't know whether the crossovers or the DSPs should come first but in the first two cases, a separate DAC would be quite useless, it would be better to feed the digital signal.


Edited by khaos974 - 6/3/10 at 1:34am
post #30 of 2679

Oh dear. Here comes another temptation ... just when I am convinced that my portable rig will stay unchanged for couple years.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked