Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Reviewed! Bose Tri port, Vs. Klipsch Image S4 Vs. Etymotic ER-4p Vs. Monster Beats by Dre Vs. Monster Turbines
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reviewed! Bose Tri port, Vs. Klipsch Image S4 Vs. Etymotic ER-4p Vs. Monster Beats by Dre Vs.... - Page 3

post #31 of 53

Seeing how he rated Bose so highly, and it is his first IEM, I can see why he thinks the S4 lacks bass.

 

First of all, I am a Bose hater because of the horrible sound quality and price of their products. I've actually heard most of Bose's products, including the triports. The only way to describe the triport's sound is an ocean abundant amount of bass. It is more bass than you can ever imagine. It is a true subwoofer to your head level of bass. The OP is correct that the S4 has "underpowered" bass, because his reference point is the triports. 

 

What I don't agree is saying the Bose sounds good. There is far too much bass in the music to the point treble is completely drowned out. I wouldn't be surprised if there is zero response above 7KHz.

post #32 of 53

I still own a Bose, and I what I most like about it, is it´s soundstage.
But as someone said, it´s cable has poor durability, and that reason made me upgrade it for another iem.
The tips are also a low point, in fact the worse, if none of the tips fits your ears, I think that there is no way to replace them for other company tips, because of the phone is not really an "in ear" model, it has a particular form.
 

Anyway what I was thinking is the fact that in order to perform a fair review or comparation, all the compared models had to be burned before(perhaps any of the mentioned don´t need to be), by the other hand I guess that each model will require it´s own amount of time to get it best sound.


So perhaps the difference perceived by Kippem and the other users are related (besides to the subjectivity, and the way it fixed in his ears) to the burning stage in which each iem was at the moment of test them.

For example, If I had to point the Bose sound the first time I heard it I´d give it 4/10, and if I had to do it again 2 weeks later i´d give it 7,5/10, there is a lot of difference. 



 

post #33 of 53

 

That people had a different opinion than your's does not means that they are offended and you must not mock in laugh against them.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeremycai View Post




Haha, sorry if I offended anyone who differs from my opinion, but that assumption is just what I gathered after lurking around here daily for awhile. I should have added, IMO. 

post #34 of 53

I must agree with the reviewer on the ER-4p's, they have absolutely no bass compared to my portapros (okay, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but compared to other IEM's and earbuds as well, they still lack bass)

 

thanks for the review!

 

James

post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post

I must agree with the reviewer on the ER-4p's, they have absolutely no bass compared to my portapros (okay, I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but compared to other IEM's and earbuds as well, they still lack bass)

 

thanks for the review!

 

James


They don't lack bass, they lack exaggerated bass. You're too used to mainstream, overbass'ed headphones. 

post #36 of 53

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumflow View Post

Does this mean that you do not care to hear how it sounded in the recording studios because you like the package?

Quote:


 


If you want to slam your opinions and assumptions into other people's faces without so much as adding the courtesy of 'IMO', please find another forum more suitable for you.

We do not welcome barbaric behaviour.

 

Like someone in this thread and countless others have mentioned, all our ears and brains are different.

 

And personally, I find the very commonly rehashed "more neutral and more transparent" kind of bull. I have hardly heard any recorded CD's or cassettes that sound "close to the recording studio". It just isn't meant to be, all songs have to be mastered into sounding a certain way for target audiences.

 

I am quite inclined to think that *some* neutral lovers simply like neutral sound because well, they can't choose whether they like warm or bright. So they stick in between.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jleewach View Post




They don't lack bass, they lack exaggerated bass. You're too used to mainstream, overbass'ed headphones. 


Then so be it. I liked the ER6i's clarity but the bass is simply too little. I have heard choirs, cellos and pianos before, and I will still stick with my opinion that even with the claim of boosted bass in ER6i's, it's way too little compared to 'live'.

 

Some people can live without bass. Most can't. It's as much part of the song as is the mids and highs.


Edited by K.I. Unlimited - 6/5/10 at 8:50am
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I. Unlimited View Post

 




If you want to slam your opinions and assumptions into other people's faces without so much as adding the courtesy of 'IMO', please find another forum more suitable for you.

We do not welcome barbaric behaviour.

 

Like someone in this thread and countless others have mentioned, all our ears and brains are different.

 

And personally, I find the very commonly rehashed "more neutral and more transparent" kind of bull. I have hardly heard any recorded CD's or cassettes that sound "close to the recording studio". It just isn't meant to be, all songs have to be mastered into sounding a certain way for target audiences.

 

I am quite inclined to think that *some* neutral lovers simply like neutral sound because well, they can't choose whether they like warm or bright. So they stick in between.




Then so be it. I liked the ER6i's clarity but the bass is simply too little. I have heard choirs, cellos and pianos before, and I will still stick with my opinion that even with the claim of boosted bass in ER6i's, it's way too little compared to 'live'.

 

Some people can live without bass. Most can't. It's as much part of the song as is the mids and highs.

 

plus, the portapros aren't designed to play with an overly amount of bass, just a moderate amount, IMHO, the ER-4's lack bass

post #38 of 53

kippem, I beg to differ on the Bose In Ear. I had a chance to listen to it for a short while. The way I worn it was by hanging it on my ear; it doesn't provide any seal to me because the tips of the canalphone is oddly ellipse shaped. I wasn't using it's original tips that time.

 

For the sound, the bass is alot. I owned Fischer Audio Eterna v1 and people tagged Eterna as bassy canalphone, but the amount is low compared to the bass the Bose puts out. The highs on the Bose is pretty dissapointing, it doesn't have much detail at all. The Eterna has better treble detail than the Tri Port. But then Eterna's treble detail is a joke compared to my Hippo Shroom in rendering the sounds of hi hats, rides etc. While Hippo Shroom doesn't even sound as detailed as RE0 or ER4 :P

 

That's all I can remember since I heard this about a month ago. 

 

I would like to see added details on the review like details, soundstage, instrument separation etc.

 

Edited as I made a mistake between Bose Tri Port and In Ear


Edited by terradrive - 6/5/10 at 10:17am
post #39 of 53

I don't think his reviews are meant to be highly technical or w/e; more like sharing preferences.

 

As you can see plenty of people started kicking up a fuss after one guy decided to go against the herd mindset and *said* he liked the Triports. So I doubt whatever he adds is going to make you any more happy.

 

People need more salt with reviews than they think...

post #40 of 53


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I. Unlimited View Post

I don't think his reviews are meant to be highly technical or w/e; more like sharing preferences.

 

As you can see plenty of people started kicking up a fuss after one guy decided to go against the herd mindset and *said* he liked the Triports. So I doubt whatever he adds is going to make you any more happy.

 

People need more salt with reviews than they think...


You mean less salt? 

 

Surprisingly this thread has received much attention, I agree with what K.I. Unlimited said though. It's personal preference, people can say what they want about it, but please don't turn it into the bashing thread, even though some words of description might have been not that accurate in the review.

post #41 of 53

Awww, I made a big mistake. I'm talking about Bose In Ear instead of the Tri Port. Well I don't remember and just saw that Tri Port is actually a headphone!

post #42 of 53

Yes, too often when certain people cannot perceive the fact that differing *subjective* opinions exist; they take such opinions as though it's some kind of insult.

 

We are a civil bunch of people. I see no need to start fires just because one guy *gasp* prefers something starting with 'Bose'! There's almost as many IEMs and headphones as there are clothes now, surely there must be at least one that suits each and every one of us.

 

If you want to mock somebody wearing a pair of Skullcandy's, do so but unheard. Otherwise, don't get riled up when people start ignoring your opinions because of self-perceived elitism...



Quote:
Originally Posted by terradrive View Post

Awww, I made a big mistake. I'm talking about Bose In Ear instead of the Tri Port. Well I don't remember and just saw that Tri Port is actually a headphone!


Hey, no worries...


Edited by K.I. Unlimited - 6/5/10 at 10:21am
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I. Unlimited View Post

Yes, too often when certain people cannot perceive the fact that differing *subjective* opinions exist; they take such opinions as though it's some kind of insult.

 

We are a civil bunch of people. I see no need to start fires just because one guy *gasp* prefers something starting with 'Bose'! There's almost as many IEMs and headphones as there are clothes now, surely there must be at least one that suits each and every one of us.

 

If you want to mock somebody wearing a pair of Skullcandy's, do so but unheard. Otherwise, don't get riled up when people start ignoring your opinions because of self-perceived elitism...




Hey, no worries...


That is one wise advice that I have not seen for a long time.

post #44 of 53

That's actually harder to do than it looks though, haha.

 

Unless you're a saint of some sort, everyone is prone to believing that at some point of their lives, their opinions weigh more heavily than someone else's...

 

Anyway I shall cut down on the sidetracking into human behaviour and back to head-fi.

post #45 of 53

The word "Bose" seems to trigger an almost Pavlovian response here and on other audio based internet sites. I think Bose has a few products that produce good sound but at an inflated cost that perhaps is not justified. I owned a pair of outdoor Bose speakers that lasted for 8 years in harsh climate and sounded great. I think the Bose SoundDock is a nice sounding product but I am unwilling to part with the asking price for it. In the case of the Bose In Ears being discussed in this thread, I stated earlier that I enjoy them for what they are: A very comfortable and decent sounding set of ear buds that have a full sound and a great sound stage. I do not hear exaggerated bass as I wear them the way they were designed to be worn - resting in the ear but outside of the ear canal. If I "push" them slightly into the ear canal or use the large tips I hear exaggerated bass and no treble. As much as I do enjoy them I would not have paid $100 for them.And I also agree that many products produce a better sound for far less money (Meelec M9 comes to mind at about one fifth the retail price). Like I stated before, they have their place, at least for me. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Reviewed! Bose Tri port, Vs. Klipsch Image S4 Vs. Etymotic ER-4p Vs. Monster Beats by Dre Vs. Monster Turbines