New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD600 cable upgrade - worth it? - Page 7

post #91 of 242

Different and better aren't the same word.  Should add I owned both the Senn 600 and 650.


Edited by Solude - 6/24/10 at 6:28am
post #92 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Is an aftermarket cable worth it on a 600?  No, not in 2010 anyway.  When they were tops it made sense, now that better cans can be had for granted more money its like pimping out a Camaro LT instead of buying the SS.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Different and better aren't the same word.  Should add I owned both the Senn 600 and 650.


Whatever. I still disagree with the paragraph I'm quoting again above. 

 

Just for the record.  You don't recommend the cable.  I do.  That's all.

post #93 of 242

For the record I don't recommend the cable on the rig in question.  The other truth is that 10 years ago a cable for the Senn 600 was $100, now not so much.

 

I liked my Senn 650, I liked it better with the Cardas but I already had exhausted my search of cans and had a solid source and amp as well.  

post #94 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9pintube View Post





Hey fjf. it's your friend again!  I took the time to read every post on this poor guys OP, and you BIG DADDY and your comments are "OUT THERE"  maybe you need to go back and read your ramblings, but remember "This is from a "NOT THAT IMPORTANT PERSON"  SAD!


I see my arrow got the target! ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post




As long as this thread has deteriorated into name calling, I'm going to change the subject by asking flaming_j about his T-1 impressions. 

 

f_j, I see you also have 880s, so, if you would, give us the rundown on the T-1s relative to the 880s.

 

USG

 

Sorry, dont have a T1 to compare!.
 

post #95 of 242

post #96 of 242

You are going to get a lot of varying responses about this question. Personally, I have went and bought a custom cable for my K702s and I instantly noticed the results when using them.

 

I think that if you get a high quality cable you will see results. However compared to other pieces of equipment I think cables are some of the lowest price/performance ratio pieces in the chain. 

 

I would say to only spend the money if you don't want to spend it on any other piece of equipment in your system. If you can use that to upgrade your amps or source then I'd go for that. 

post #97 of 242
I used to own the HD-600 and HD-650. I bought both the Cardas and Blue Dragon replacement cables. I tried both headphones with both cables as well as the two stock cables.

There was absolutely no difference between the four cables on either headphone, though several amps.

I put the cables on the DMM and the old Tektronix 'scope.

Again, nothing.

I sold all of them to purchase the HD-800.

There never has been - and never will be - a scrap of evidence supporting cable "differences." This has been an ongoing fight for more than 30 years and nothing has ever been established to lend credibility to these claims.

"I hear a difference" is not evidence. This is true because no one can hear a difference if they cannot see the cable.

If anyone disagrees, the only way you will settle this argument is if you provide valid test results from scientific equipment or show that you can pass a blind test. Dancing around those is intellectually dishonest.

If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist. If you can't hear it blind, it doesn't exist.
Edited by Uncle Erik - 6/26/10 at 7:33pm
post #98 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

I used to own the HD-600 and HD-650. I bought both the Cardas and Blue Dragon replacement cables. I tried both headphones with both cables as well as the two stock cables.

There was absolutely no difference between the four cables on either headphone, though several amps.

I put the cables on the DMM and the old Tektronix 'scope.

Again, nothing.

I sold all of them to purchase the HD-800.

There never has been - and never will be - a scrap of evidence supporting cable "differences." This has been an ongoing fight for more than 30 years and nothing has ever been established to lend credibility to these claims.

"I hear a difference" is not evidence. This is true because no one can hear a difference if they cannot see the cable.

If anyone disagrees, the only way you will settle this argument is if you provide valid test results from scientific equipment or show that you can pass a blind test. Dancing around those is intellectually dishonest.

If you can't measure it, it doesn't exist. If you can't hear it blind, it doesn't exist.


Word.

post #99 of 242

5yxt8.gif

post #100 of 242

This is where Uncle Eric and I disagree. With my gear I can tell a difference with cables. Especially Senn cables. He prefers scientific evidence. I prefer the smile on my face between what works and doesn't. I say tomato, Uncle Eric says tomatoe. No big deal.

post #101 of 242

Maybe my HD-600s were somehow indeed different, but my first pair gave me headaches with their bright treble peaks and had stock cables. I had purchased them new, and really tried to get used to them, to break them in, to break my ears in and finally sold them. Then I bought a used pair with a Cardas cable, and they were much smoother, no fatigue. The Cardas was too long, so I bought a couple of lower-end ($100 -$120 each) shorter cables with different terminations, they were still smooth. I just think there is plenty of room for improvement on the stock HD600 cable, even the stock HD650 cable is much better. I don't think the Cardas sounded any better than the two "lesser" upgrade cables, and the HD650 cable I tried still sounded better than my old stock pair, they were somewhere in between. I have not tried the stock HD600 cable on my current pair though so my results are very unscientific!

post #102 of 242

The interesting part being that Uncle is where you typically start looking at cables and Poppa still has room for gains in amp/source.  Personally I think cables matter, but its in that last 2% sonically.  Its there and I do very focused listening and note taking to characterize cables but it is a tiny change because frankly at best, the cable can do no harm.  Even cheap cable come pretty close to not being there so the room for improvement is small.

post #103 of 242

The cable has be thick enough to carry the current and shielded enough to avoid electrical noise.  Taking into account how cheap this can be accomplished, only a REALLY stupid manufacturer would shut himself in the foot by using a bad cable.  The rest is just business men selling snake oil and lots of ignorance among the buyers.  But is a free market, this is legitimate.  If you do not want to be scammed, go and learn.  The least discriminatory part in an audio system is the human auditory system.  People is often surprised about how poor our real discriminatory ability is when tested.  You may be able to measure small differences between cables, but nobody can hear that much.

post #104 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenni View Post

 

I usually take what “scientists” say with a pinch of salt. To me some scientists seem like religious fanatics. It’s all about proof – if it can’t be measured it’s not real, or something like that. And when they bump into something that cannot be explained they’ll make up some ridiculous theory for it. Fact! you see, I’m not interested in hearing some dumbass scientific theory.

 



"Facts (?!), pssst,... Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" -- Homer J. Simpson.


Edited by Noumenon - 6/27/10 at 9:04am
post #105 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf View Post

The cable has be thick enough to carry the current and shielded enough to avoid electrical noise.  Taking into account how cheap this can be accomplished, only a REALLY stupid manufacturer would shut himself in the foot by using a bad cable.



Exactly, who would believe that Sennheiser would spend R&D $$$ to such effect only to undermine everything by using a subpar cable. If the cable mattered THAT much Sennheiser would supply a better cable and tack on the cost to the HP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: