I recently went from a Zero DAC to an Auzentech Bravura. Running into an issue with this card and thinking of going back to a DAC since I never ever had a problem with the Zero I had. I am looking for something that is a step up over the ZERO DAC I had before. It must have a headphone amp for my Denon D2000's and must also be able to drive a 2.1 setup which consists of some AV40s and a BIC V1020 sub. I think most just use an RCA Splitter off one side to send a signal to the sub? I also wan't something fairly compact as I don't have much desk space and going away from the ZERO to begin with was just to pickup some desk space. I was looking at the NuForce HDP but its a bit out of my price range. Thanks for any recommendations!
Related Forum Threads
- HELP!!! selecting an OPEN and CLOSED Heaphone. Last post on 2/6/11 at 8:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- auzentech forte or bravura Last post on 7/10/10 at 8:27am in Computer Audio
- Building a new computer to sound card or not? Last post on 7/5/10 at 6:22pm in Computer Audio
- Upgrading from a Auzentech Prelude. music the only concern. Last post on 7/2/10 at 3:44pm in Computer Audio
- Noobie Audio Confused. Last post on 6/16/10 at 6:05am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Help choosing DAC.post #1 of 115/31/10 at 1:08pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 115/31/10 at 1:38pmpost #3 of 115/31/10 at 2:44pmThread Starter
Yeah, I have onboard SPDIF out but ran into issues where it would turn my ZERO ON and OFF. This started with windows Vista and 7. So everytime there was sound my amp would turn on and then off when the sound stopped so I had constant clicking. USB to the DAC might be better?post #4 of 115/31/10 at 2:46pmThread Starterpost #5 of 115/31/10 at 2:51pm
You're the second person to think that it's an issue with the Zero. Mine did it all the time, when there's no sound coming out it clicks and turns off the amplification stage. That's not a bad thing.
There's the Sparrow aswell, which is the smaller brother of the FUN, but you'd have to get a 1/4" to RCA adapter for your speakers. Other options include the uDAC, Audinst HUD-MX1, Matrix Mini-I...post #6 of 115/31/10 at 4:23pmThread Starter
That was an issue.. trust me. Every time there was a windows sound "CLICK CLICK". I don't see how this repeated powering on and off of the amp was good. I picked up a creative card and used the SPDIF out of that and issue resolved. This only happened with the on board with Win7 and Vista. No issues with XP.post #7 of 115/31/10 at 4:34pm
Maybe the Maverick Tube Magic? It's not tiny like the HDP, but it does have 2 sets of RCA outputs so you don't have to worry about impedance matching issues you'd get from using a splitter.post #8 of 115/31/10 at 8:27pmThread Starter
Interesting.. I have not heard much about the Maverick. How does this compare to a Zero? I do use mine for gaming , music and movies but I honestly could card less about any hardware gaming support. My Zero always impressed me but I like the smaller footprint of the NuForce HDP. I am actually bidding on one on ebay but its already up to 305$. Ill probably bid up to 350$ for it and then if I dont get it consider the Maverick or Matrix. The Audio GD FUN looks really nice but worried about the foot print. Main thing is being able to run a 2.1 setup and my headphones with no problems. Sound cards seem to always give me trouble.post #9 of 115/31/10 at 9:07pm
Since you said the size is important I measured mine and it's about 10 1/4" wide, 7" deep an 2 3/4" tall. I don't know enough about the Zero to compare it, but there's a quite good wiki article already. It's got the 2 sets of stereo rca outputs, one tube and one solid state, and a ss headphone amp that should be able to drive anything short of K1000s or electrostats. With my SE530s just 2 ticks on the volume dial is as loud as I'd want to listen for extended periods, and 3 is too loud to listen to more than one song. Others have reported that they drive 600 ohm Beyers with plenty of headroom, so your Dennons should be fine. It also has socketed opamps for both the DAC and hp amp so you can roll those in addition to the tube, if you're interested in that. It works fine over usb without drivers. I like mine just fine but I don't have anything more expensive to compare it to.
If you don't win the HDP and have any questions not answered in the wiki, then feel free to ask. I'll probably be bringing it to canjam too so you can take a listen next weekend if you happen to be coming.post #10 of 115/31/10 at 9:46pm
If you're really into the small footprint, another idea is the Musiland 02 US. (Not the USD) Or commission a Gamma1 and get a small $100 headamp to go with it. Maybe even a Pico DAC/Amp, if you can find one used for $350ish. That might even come up again the HDP, except that it can only do 16/48 max (16/44.1 support of course) over USB, and it upsamples to 24/96.
I'm personally not a big fan of the Maverick compared to my Zero, when the OPA-Earth worked, and I don't like the fact that you don't gain anything out of the tube inside (the advertised selling point) unless you use the device as a DAC only.post #11 of 116/2/10 at 7:35pmThread Starter
- Help choosing DAC.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › New Member Introductions thread 24 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 43 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing a high quality Bluetooth "Wireless" cable from LEAR! 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › LG G6 Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › New DIY Altoids Tin Amp - The Class A "Wintergreen Handwarmer" by... 3 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear