I love the Voyager. Simply just powerful and I find that it pairs with my Shure SE420 very well. I've tried it with JH Audio and it pairs the best with the JH 11. REALLY BRINGS OUT EVERYTHING! I also heard that you shouldn't use Copper ICs or LODs with the Voyager, because it really muffles it up. I'm probably going to try using Silver LODs. Any recommendations? :D
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Graham Slee Voyager portable headphone amp Last post on 1/31/11 at 8:30pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo impressions and review thread Last post on 5/30/16 at 8:03am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DigiZoid ZO or Headstage Arrow? Last post on 12/12/11 at 9:44pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Voyager or arrow 3G which one is magical?? Last post on 10/8/11 at 2:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Shure se530 vs se545...sound quality Last post on 8/12/11 at 4:44pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
LEAR LHF-AE1d Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to LEAR for the sample. Brief: All of da pretty and they sound just as good too! Price: HK$1488 or atm £146 or...
The Edifier MP700 Rave Introduction Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I'd watched the growth of MEE Audio over the years, first as Meelectronics, and then more recently as...
At the time this review was written, the Edifier P220 was listed for sale on Amazon. Here is a link to their listing of the...
I loved these Bluetooth earphones,was pme of my best buys, I got them for a shade under $30 at https://www.chinavasion.com/. The earphones come with a bag of silicon clips and different size...
- Headphone Impedance
Graham Slee Voyager : The End of Audio Voyage?(Appreciation Thread) - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I use mine with Whiplash TWag I had silver IBasso and DIY copper Cordial and DIY silver single core and I can recommend Whiplash connector. It sounds really good and its very flexible.
Whiplash TWag which I bought used on forum and it beats all my connectors, I had copper Cordial and I confirm, it is a little muffles.
Im using a DIYed SCSCag cable and its sounding great =).
Yeah I guess, I haven't burned it much to notice any significant difference. Im not sure if Im doing it right or wrong but I guess letting it run some pink and white noises wont hurt hahaha.
I actually lost it on my last trip and thinking about an alternative with an internal battery (eg the Just Audio) but i do love the Voyager...anyone had a similar experiece?
New to the forum but have been lurking for a while.
Recently purchased the Voyager as an upgrade to what I consider the very capable Fiio E11 for the price. Intial impressions weren't positive (paired with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 Ohm with about 30 hrs on them, ipod classic, a Pure i-20 dock and Teac UD-H01 dac) even though I managed to get the Voyager brand new at a heavily discounted price. I felt like the Fiio sounded warmer and provided that controlled lower end impact that brought a smile to my face, whereas the Voyager felt a little underwhelming in all areas sonically. The Fiio definitely has more power, never needing to go past 4 on the dial, whilst the Voyager needed to be pushed to 12 o'clock position to achieve the same volume level. I felt that I may have been foolish to be expecting too much of a diffference but based on the reviews and pricing difference between the two amps and there is a masssive difference in pricing therfore it would be fair to assume a consequential improvement in sound quality.
Forward to 75-80hrs of burn in time with the Voyager and the DT 770's, listening to it again, as much I want to say there was no difference, there definitely is. Using a Ipod Classic 7th Gen with apple lossless encoding sitting on top of a Pure i-20 digital dock feeding a Teac UD-H01 Dac via optical, I first listened to Tracy Chapman's live recording of her 1988 Montreux Jazz Festival, not the best listening test in the world due to the quality of the recording but to make my point, I have up until now only really ever listened to hip hop, soul & r'n'b, although Tracy's vocals aren't a million miles away from a soul artist, I found myself listening to the entire recording transfixed by her vocals, the acoustic guitar sounded incredible and the soundstage seemed so immersive, as if you were there sat in the audience, close your eyes and you could picture her on stage. The Voyager sounds, and I have very little frame of reference but can only describe it as if I were pouring a bottle of full fat milk over a bowl of cereal, encompassing eveything and adding to the texture and flavour without taking anything away, I know that is a strange analogy but it just sounds so lush compared to when I first turned it on and I think that describes the Voyager in a nutshell. I sat at work today thinking about how this little thing had changed in to a much more capable beast and how I couldn't wait to get home to try it out again just to make sure that it wasn't a subconscious placebo effect to justify my purchase.
Listening to John Legend's Set Me Free from his Evolver album this evening, the vocals are haunting at the best of times but the Voyager handles every nuance in his voice with great aplomb. The same can be said for Joss Stones Could Have Been You from her Colour Me Free album or anything from Maxwell or D'Angelo. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds O'Children is just mesmerising (yes the one from Harry Potter). During the 75-80 hrs burning in period I must have spent approximately 8-10 hours listening to it during this time and I really didn't expect to see any change to its sonic characteristics, but to me, it definitely sounds less muddy and provides a sweeter bass response then when I first listened to it. The bass is tight but the extension is there when the music requires it. (thats without using the contour switch and I know the 770's are meant to be bass heavy).
I just want to say that I may need to get another job to finance my urge to keep upgrading, currently considering the Sennheiser HD 650 but leaning towards something that will be more portable like the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (thank you Jude and Tyll for your reviews) as I am very happy with the 770's for home use although I may upgrade my fiio lod to a silver based lod (nothing too expensive) but won't be upgrading this amp anytime soon (even if do get the HD650's).
I have enjoyed reading up on your varied experiences with your own equipment and look forward to continue reading up on all your reviews and experiences with your own gear in the future. Just wanted to say thank you all for sharing your experiences with the likes of myself as they have provided me with an opportunity to understand life's too short to listen to poor quality sound through ipod ear phones.
Bumping for a weekend Voyager love-in!
I don't hear the lush or warm references , to me ( on flat, never Contour) it just sounds right.
like my Prima Luna valve amp does, like my LP12/Lyra does.
DAPs and headphones will come and go, but my Voyager has and will remain a constant in
my portable listening.
If there is anything that does sound significantly better I'd love to know, because I'd buy it tomorrow
This little box continues to impress.
- Graham Slee Voyager : The End of Audio Voyage?(Appreciation Thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 15 seconds ago
- › Quiet Comfort or IEM? 31 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 4 minutes ago
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 5 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Europe Tour - Reviewers Wanted 10 minutes ago
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Edifier P220 In-Ear Chrome Design Headphones With Microphone - Blue by Hisoundfi
- › EasGear Morul U5 Waterproof Wireless Earbuds by James Mash
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by Pastapipo
- › YHC S600 by B9Scrambler
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by dlo13
- › Fostex TH 900 by roxrite
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Shini44
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...