Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › WE300B NOS tests.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WE300B NOS tests.

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

I have my choice between 2 matched sets of NOS WE300B tubes. Both where made in 1956, one set has the same date code and measures 79 and 80 @ 5volts and i think @ 4.25 volts (i could be off on the lower volt of 4.25 +-) also. The other set was also made in 1956 but in different months those tubes both measure 80 for 5volts and 4.25volts.

Which set would be your choice?

 

Thanks,

ss

post #2 of 36

2a3

post #3 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

2a3


2a3?

 

Are you talking about date codes? Ithink date codes are on the bass and are 5639 and 5626


Edited by sillysally - 5/26/10 at 9:29pm
post #4 of 36

2a3 is a lower power DHT that is slightly more linear than the 300B. Its not really compatible with 300B amps unless mods are made. OTOH, people who only need 3-5W instead of 9-13 vastly prefer it.

 

In all seriousness now. The importance of tube matching in SET amps is barely debatable. There is no reason that tube matching matters at all (provided the tubes are both of reasonably good quality, which is the case here) so there is no debate, just people who like matched tubes in SET amps because they dont really know why. I would go for the date matched tubes. They will be easier to resell later.


Edited by nikongod - 5/26/10 at 9:35pm
post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

2a3 is a lower power DHT. Its not really compatable with 300B amps unless mods are made. OTOH, people who only need 5-7W instead of 9-13 vastly prefer it.

 

In all seriousness now. I would go for the date matched tubes. They will be easier to resell later.


These tubes are WE300B. They are going in my WA5LE max, the drive tubes I have now are NOS Tung Sol 6SN7GT round plate circa august 1942 CTL. These will be teamed with the WE300B.

post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

2a3 is a lower power DHT that is slightly more linear than the 300B. Its not really compatible with 300B amps unless mods are made. OTOH, people who only need 3-5W instead of 9-13 vastly prefer it.

 

In all seriousness now. The importance of tube matching in SET amps is barely debatable. There is no reason that tube matching matters at all (provided the tubes are both of reasonably good quality, which is the case here) so there is no debate, just people who like matched tubes in SET amps because they dont really know why. I would go for the date matched tubes. They will be easier to resell later.



I'll second everything nikongod says. Serious $$$ here. I'd be real cautious buying something like these.

post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post





I'll second everything nikongod says. Serious $$$ here. I'd be real cautious buying something like these.


Yes I have checked out in detail the seller. They are coming from the Alabama Historical Radio Society and there board of directors has verified this sale.

post #8 of 36

Yeah I second that also, especially considering that you own a pair of Shuguang 300B-z tubes which are supposed to outperform WE 300B tubes in many respects.  Are you just buying them to satisfy a curiosity about them?  Otherwise it would seem that there is money better spent elsewhere than buying the rarest most expensive tubes out there (TS Round Plates and WE300B) just because a few people on the internet say they are the "best".  I feel that the 'legend' of the WE300B is just that...and people pay exorbitant prices that are in no way related to their performance, but more for their collectible and rarity amongst old audiophiles who still care about that stuff.  In the past 10 years there have been so many new manufacturers of 300Bs that in many ways supersede these old designs (ie. EML 300B-XLS, Shuguang 300B-Z, KR Audio 300B, etc, etc.).  Same with 6SN7 tubes which might have cost $50 ten years ago cost upward of $500 for the exact same reasons.

post #9 of 36

Oh and to prove my point about older folks hanging on to the WE 300B tubes. Photo of the Alabama Historical Radio Society:

 

IMG_3800_l.jpg
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post


 


Yes I have checked out in detail the seller. They are coming from the Alabama Historical Radio Society and there board of directors has verified this sale.

post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 

You could be right about the 300B-z vs the NOS WE300B. And yes I read the review I think you are talking about, but I think that review was written by the owner of Grant Audio distributor for Shuguang.

One thing I know for sure is that my NOS TS 6SN7GT round plates made a big impact over other 6SN7s and the CV181-z.

I have read comments saying Jack designed are WA5s around the WE300B.

As far as the KR300B goes, its my understanding that after the owners wife took over that company the quality has dropped off the table. I was told that by KRs USA distributor. I also talked to him about the NOS WE300B and he seem to think it was the best of the best.

 

Ya that picture is worth a lot of words, the guys on the left top and bottom are the guy that is handling the sale and the pres on the bottom.

 

Worst comes to worst I can sell them.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post

Yeah I second that also, especially considering that you own a pair of Shuguang 300B-z tubes which are supposed to outperform WE 300B tubes in many respects.  Are you just buying them to satisfy a curiosity about them?  Otherwise it would seem that there is money better spent elsewhere than buying the rarest most expensive tubes out there (TS Round Plates and WE300B) just because a few people on the internet say they are the "best".  I feel that the 'legend' of the WE300B is just that...and people pay exorbitant prices that are in no way related to their performance, but more for their collectible and rarity amongst old audiophiles who still care about that stuff.  In the past 10 years there have been so many new manufacturers of 300Bs that in many ways supersede these old designs (ie. EML 300B-XLS, Shuguang 300B-Z, KR Audio 300B, etc, etc.).  Same with 6SN7 tubes which might have cost $50 ten years ago cost upward of $500 for the exact same reasons.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post

 I feel that the 'legend' of the WE300B is just that...and people pay exorbitant prices that are in no way related to their performance, but more for their collectible and rarity amongst old audiophiles who still care about that stuff.  In the past 10 years there have been so many new manufacturers of 300Bs that in many ways supersede these old designs (ie. EML 300B-XLS, Shuguang 300B-Z, KR Audio 300B, etc, etc.). 


Have you ever heard original WE300B's? Not saying they're worth it, not saying that other DHT's (45, 71A, 2A3, etc.) don't sound better, but if you're into 300B's, the original WE beats all the modern reissues, and I've heard almost all of them.

post #12 of 36
Thread Starter 

I think you may be a little confused  after i recommending the Shuguang's, but please understand that was before I started tube rolling. However i am sure you are enjoying that combo, i bet that combo stopped the hissing , shrill highs and added the bass punch.

 

I am paying a fair price for the nos we300b imo, not the crazy prices for like tubes on ebay.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post

Yeah I second that also, especially considering that you own a pair of Shuguang 300B-z tubes which are supposed to outperform WE 300B tubes in many respects.  Are you just buying them to satisfy a curiosity about them? 


Edited by sillysally - 5/27/10 at 4:32am
post #13 of 36

Well I am not going to try to talk you out of NOS WE300B's that is for sure. If you have the means and desire, they should give the WA5 a wonderful sound. Not saying the best sound, but should be very good. I did find that which 300B's I had did not make as big of a difference as the Rectifiers and drive tubes. I never tried a different flavor (i.e 2a3, etc) for the power tubes, just 4 different sets of 300B's.

 

Yet us know how it goes...

 

and if you don't like them, sell them to me cheep...

 

Cheers,

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymad View Post

Well I am not going to try to talk you out of NOS WE300B's that is for sure. If you have the means and desire, they should give the WA5 a wonderful sound. Not saying the best sound, but should be very good. I did find that which 300B's I had did not make as big of a difference as the Rectifiers and drive tubes. I never tried a different flavor (i.e 2a3, etc) for the power tubes, just 4 different sets of 300B's.

 

Yet us know how it goes...

 

and if you don't like them, sell them to me cheep...

 

Cheers,

You don't have to wait for him, here is a set.  http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-Western-Electric-300B-Engraved-Audio-Tube-/300402186646?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item45f15d9996#ht_2362wt_1137
 

post #15 of 36

OMG deal of the century, I'm hoping on it right now!!!

 

Seriously though, sometimes I wonder how dumb ebay buyer/sellers are for listing these kinds of stupid prices.  Sad thing is I'm sure some guy will buy these at the asking price...

 

What about this deal for a quad of rectifiers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quad-Set-Western-Electric-274A-Rectifier-Tube-NOS-NIB-/300402191070?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item45f15daade
 


Edited by monsieurguzel - 5/27/10 at 4:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › WE300B NOS tests.