Hey everyone, I'm getting some graduation money and I need a new rig for walking around campus next year. I already have a pair of Audio Technia M50s but kind of want something more portable. I listen to lot's of drum and base, house, and rock. I have been looking at the Zune HD and the iPod classic. My budget is around 300$. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/24/10
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions for Headphones + Amp for Portable + Home use. Last post on 3/6/14 at 8:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH M50X vs Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Shure SRH840 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 Last post on 2/25/14 at 12:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need help getting a speaker/amp setup for my house. Used for laptop plug in, and record player... Last post on 2/11/14 at 6:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Help me pick my portable rig for college
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I almost hate to say it, but if your campus has WiFi everywhere then consider the iPod Touch. Why? It'll play your music, but also let you use it for 50,000 other things. Check your school email. Check the weather before you head to school. Download a few games for those boring lectures. Majoring in architecture? If so, download an angle finder app. I'm almost ready to require students to have one for my Furniture Design classes. Compound mitre angles? There's an App for that. Etc.
And if you can wait a month Apple will be introducing a new model that "may" have a camera, and will certainly be more memory for your money than the current 3rd gen.
My advice would be to wait until right before your school starts to buy anything. Or, buy something at the beginning of a product cycle.
That means, don't buy a ZuneHD or iPod Touch right now. Wait until the newer versions come out. If they are better, get them. If not, get the older versions at a lower price. There's a pretty solid trend, as 4D said, that you'll get more memory for your money in the next gen anyway.
Consider the J3, as well. 4DThinker is right, that Wifi might be useful (my campus has Wifi everywhere), but I'm honestly happy my Zune30 and my phone can't check email, because then that's what I'd be doing, instead of listening + studying!
If you are looking at getting a Mac, then wait for a little while, and get a Touch or Classic, whatever comes free...but if you are getting a PC, then wait for the new models to come out...
I actually already have an iPhone. The reason I don't use it for music is that its only the 8gb model and for some reason the jack on my M50s doesn't fit into it all the way. I'm also not restricted to microsoft or apple, I have a windows desktop and a macbook so actually another brand would be nice to keep everything playing well together. What about some good IEMs?
My budget for IEMs is probably like 150$. I listen to lots of drum and bass, house, and rock music. Isolation isn't really a huge deal to me, as long as I can hear the music. I've read a lot of good things about the RE0s. The only thing im concerned about when it comes to IEMs is that I have a hard time keeping them in my ears.
From what I've read the RE0's have recessed bass and wouldn't be great for drum & bass or house. I think you should read more in the iem forum and if you have to make a thread with you final picks asking which would be best given your music.
I would stick with you iPhone as a portable player as opposed to a second device like an iPod Classic. You will only have to keep one device in you pocket and for $300 I'm pretty sure you could find a way to upgrade to to a 16GB 3GS or the lowest model of this years iPhone when it comes out. If you only want about 2000 V2 mp3's with you on the go then 16GB is fine as long as you don't have 50 million apps. It is unlikely they will downgrade sound quality with the releases this summer and the SQ difference between a Classic and an iPhone is not really major unless you are somewhere quiet and listening critically. If you do want a dedicated dap then a Sansa Clip+ is a great way to go because it is small, sounds good and you can add a 16GB SD card for extra storage. The built in EQ is also a huge plus because you can make almost any iem and music sound pretty good. The Clip can also play FLAC and runs rockbox if you want extra control.
- Help me pick my portable rig for college
- › Fiio X3 DAP vs. Objective 2 (O2) Amp with HE-400 and JH5 4 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 35 seconds ago
- › Is this "6ft Premium Toslink Fiber Optic Digital Audio Optical... 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 1 minute ago
- › Looking for an upgrade/something different from Sennheiser HD 598s 2 minutes ago
- › Superlux Express Train 3 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster TC-7530 and Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 Comparison... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for watching movies, gaming, and music 4 minutes ago
- › Looking to Upgrade from CAL!s (~$300) 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude