ulilith does seem grainier than foobar but the graininess seems to contribute to this extra reverb detail I'm hearing. I'm not sure what it is. Foobar seems cleaner but a little more boring in the mids. Now as to which one is more bitperfect I have no idea. This graininess is the analog sounding analogy i was referring to in one of the earlier posts. Thats also what heard before with ulilith.
Related Forum Threads
- Desire for Great Audio with future improvements Last post on 11/6/12 at 11:10am in Computer Audio
- Setup from scratch? Last post on 11/1/12 at 12:27pm in Computer Audio
- Is this a working setup? Last post on 9/6/12 at 2:57pm in Computer Audio
- New Poster need help with PC speaker setup. all input appreciated Last post on 7/22/12 at 10:08pm in Computer Audio
- Homemade Computer Speakers Last post on 6/11/12 at 1:44pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming - Page 15
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The problem is if you don't know if its bit perfect it just doesn't really mean much. With Ozone Izoptope VST I can make any software player sound fantastic, but thats mastering not being a transport. A transports function is to reproduce the CD bit for bit nothing more.
I did a quick setup of the stealth audio player. It refuses to decode flac for whatever reason, so I had to use wav files. I guess you need to know DOS. Anyway it passes the bit-perfect test using ASIO on Win 7X64 EMU0404 PCI with my mother board, etc, etc. I can't do any quality comparisons today as I am working on my amp. It is an interesting little program to be so small is an advantage.
Edited by regal - 6/1/10 at 6:24am
OK, what chunk size if I may ask?
I start wondering how to measure audio graininess, I'll get back to ya on this!
I really think we are going to need help from a hardcore DIYer that is willing to install Twisted Pear Audio's Audio Controller 1 (AC-1)and have it read the sample rate directly from the DAC's DPLL register values. This will tell us exactly what the difference is between OSes, drivers, software players, etc., etc.
Here are the two links again about the AC-1:
PS: Wish I had the knowledge to implement this myself!
It is sort of like a subtle version of those vinyl rips we were talking about. Like comparing a new beatles remaster vs an old vinyl rip. The old vinyls are undoubtedly grainier than the new remasters but are more pleasureable to listen to sometimes. The differences are so subtle here though with the players when using windows 7 that I won't object to anyone saying that it is placebo.
The differences are so subtle here though with the players when using windows 7
Real men use XP. They keep bloating the whole OS since Vista...more background processes doing god knows what sneakily in the background and hogging your system, more bloat in the video department w/ that pesky Aero hogging the VSYNC, more bloat in the audio engine...like forcing you to set a fixed sample rate, now who came up w/ such a retarded idea?? m$ are just doing it wrong, they wanna market the MacOS ppl. Not to blame them, these are the ppl paying for software....they want a dumbed down GUI, m$ delivers.
Many ppl prefer KS in XP over WASAPI in W7, duh.
W8 should be out soon enough, maybe they won't screw up again...many ppl prefer Vista over W7 too hah. I'm the local admin of my box, I want to control each and every background process running on my system.
Edited by leeperry - 6/1/10 at 3:30pm
dunno about the whole bloat thing on the OS front. All I'm saying is that I did notice a difference in sound when changing from OS to OS. xp to vista then to w7. Again, people can call it placebo since I did not do any scientific tests. With XP I thought my players had bigger differences in sound against each other.
and I still rest my case that it's not a matter of the other players sounding "better" than foobar, it's just foobar that's....foobar'ed: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/asus-xonar_9.html
bit-perfect ASIO in foobar?
you don't say
as Michel Audiard made Jean Gabin say in "Les Grandes Familles": "I'm not against apologies, I'm even willing to accept some"
Edited by leeperry - 6/1/10 at 4:57pm
lol you hack! That test was done with asio 0.9. and the version is at 1.2.7 now.... retest or go find somewhere else to troll
this is wrong!
this is what it actually says!
Edited by muad - 6/1/10 at 4:52pm
sorry, I don't use foobar...It makes my ears bleed for some reason
they have to prove that they are finally bit-perfect now(about time?), why should I prove that they aren't? you got it backward my little friend.
- A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 31 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 35 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 40 seconds ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 46 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 49 seconds ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC Vento P55 (New & Refined) Head-Fi Reviewers Wanted! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Kickstarter: The Billie Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...