ulilith does seem grainier than foobar but the graininess seems to contribute to this extra reverb detail I'm hearing. I'm not sure what it is. Foobar seems cleaner but a little more boring in the mids. Now as to which one is more bitperfect I have no idea. This graininess is the analog sounding analogy i was referring to in one of the earlier posts. Thats also what heard before with ulilith.
Related Forum Threads
- Desire for Great Audio with future improvements Last post on 11/6/12 at 11:10am in Computer Audio
- Setup from scratch? Last post on 11/1/12 at 12:27pm in Computer Audio
- Is this a working setup? Last post on 9/6/12 at 2:57pm in Computer Audio
- New Poster need help with PC speaker setup. all input appreciated Last post on 7/22/12 at 10:08pm in Computer Audio
- Homemade Computer Speakers Last post on 6/11/12 at 1:44pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
Last edited: 12/8/16
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Initial & information from the Rock Jaw website: I happened across the Rock Jaw sponsor page listing the need to review their Resonate BA-Hybrid IEM. Not knowing much about either, I threw my...
These headphones are well known for its low price and quality. I think they should be called shockers because when you look at them its one thing but when you listen to them suddenly they change to...
Final chose me to review the F7200 (review here) and the F4100 ($280) and provided samples free of charge. I have spent several days listening to the F4100, and I believe I can give an accurate...
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set Up
A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming - Page 15
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The problem is if you don't know if its bit perfect it just doesn't really mean much. With Ozone Izoptope VST I can make any software player sound fantastic, but thats mastering not being a transport. A transports function is to reproduce the CD bit for bit nothing more.
I did a quick setup of the stealth audio player. It refuses to decode flac for whatever reason, so I had to use wav files. I guess you need to know DOS. Anyway it passes the bit-perfect test using ASIO on Win 7X64 EMU0404 PCI with my mother board, etc, etc. I can't do any quality comparisons today as I am working on my amp. It is an interesting little program to be so small is an advantage.
Edited by regal - 6/1/10 at 6:24am
OK, what chunk size if I may ask?
I start wondering how to measure audio graininess, I'll get back to ya on this!
I really think we are going to need help from a hardcore DIYer that is willing to install Twisted Pear Audio's Audio Controller 1 (AC-1)and have it read the sample rate directly from the DAC's DPLL register values. This will tell us exactly what the difference is between OSes, drivers, software players, etc., etc.
Here are the two links again about the AC-1:
PS: Wish I had the knowledge to implement this myself!
It is sort of like a subtle version of those vinyl rips we were talking about. Like comparing a new beatles remaster vs an old vinyl rip. The old vinyls are undoubtedly grainier than the new remasters but are more pleasureable to listen to sometimes. The differences are so subtle here though with the players when using windows 7 that I won't object to anyone saying that it is placebo.
The differences are so subtle here though with the players when using windows 7
Real men use XP. They keep bloating the whole OS since Vista...more background processes doing god knows what sneakily in the background and hogging your system, more bloat in the video department w/ that pesky Aero hogging the VSYNC, more bloat in the audio engine...like forcing you to set a fixed sample rate, now who came up w/ such a retarded idea?? m$ are just doing it wrong, they wanna market the MacOS ppl. Not to blame them, these are the ppl paying for software....they want a dumbed down GUI, m$ delivers.
Many ppl prefer KS in XP over WASAPI in W7, duh.
W8 should be out soon enough, maybe they won't screw up again...many ppl prefer Vista over W7 too hah. I'm the local admin of my box, I want to control each and every background process running on my system.
Edited by leeperry - 6/1/10 at 3:30pm
dunno about the whole bloat thing on the OS front. All I'm saying is that I did notice a difference in sound when changing from OS to OS. xp to vista then to w7. Again, people can call it placebo since I did not do any scientific tests. With XP I thought my players had bigger differences in sound against each other.
and I still rest my case that it's not a matter of the other players sounding "better" than foobar, it's just foobar that's....foobar'ed: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/asus-xonar_9.html
bit-perfect ASIO in foobar?
you don't say
as Michel Audiard made Jean Gabin say in "Les Grandes Familles": "I'm not against apologies, I'm even willing to accept some"
Edited by leeperry - 6/1/10 at 4:57pm
lol you hack! That test was done with asio 0.9. and the version is at 1.2.7 now.... retest or go find somewhere else to troll
this is wrong!
this is what it actually says!
Edited by muad - 6/1/10 at 4:52pm
sorry, I don't use foobar...It makes my ears bleed for some reason
they have to prove that they are finally bit-perfect now(about time?), why should I prove that they aren't? you got it backward my little friend.
- A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 17 seconds ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 40 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--FW1.6.0 2 minutes ago
- › Trafomatic Experience Head One 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear