or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 664

post #9946 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i would consider a WA5 if it actually drives the HE-6 better than gsx mk2. i've heard different opinions. some saying a speaker amp would still be better. like one of the first watt amps or something.

 

i find the HE-6 slightly bright, and could have better mids on the GSX MK2, but the transparency is a step up over HE-500, and the bass, oh the bass is much much better than HE-500, my favorite bass presentation right now. i do see room for improvement on the HE-6 with the GSX MK2, the good thing is that it does drive it, and it gets to good loud volumes, but its slightly shy of perfection.


SPEAKER AMP SPEAKER AMP!

 

Do it! Join us!

post #9947 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
 

If its putting 8w into the 50 ohm load I would be really surprised. The Woo WA5 XLR output drives it effortlessly. The GSX Mk111 is not a terrific amp for the HE6. I really enjoy the gsx MK111 with all my other headphones but the he6 is not benign driven as wells I hear it on the WA5.  Just told me it was about 6w going into that he6 but I am not even sure its that. I would think Brunk calculation may be closer to what it really is or at least thetas what my ears are telling me.

48v p-p puts it at 7.2w RMS. So a conservative 6 before the amp starts crying uncle at 7.2 is a good figure. I would also expect a lot of distortion and an upward tilt in frequency response, which hints at what Dubstep Girl says in my second reply. I was peaking just under 10w when I was jamming out to a McIntosh amp. How accurate are their meters? I don't know.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i would consider a WA5 if it actually drives the HE-6 better than gsx mk2. i've heard different opinions. some saying a speaker amp would still be better. like one of the first watt amps or something.

 

i find the HE-6 slightly bright, and could have better mids on the GSX MK2, but the transparency is a step up over HE-500, and the bass, oh the bass is much much better than HE-500, my favorite bass presentation right now. i do see room for improvement on the HE-6 with the GSX MK2, the good thing is that it does drive it, and it gets to good loud volumes, but its slightly shy of perfection.

I think most of us find the HE-6 bright off an amp that struggles with them, so that would be a pretty tell-tale sign. I know you know your stuff too since you own so many great cans, so no doubt there. Speaker amps are the best way to go IMO.


Edited by brunk - 10/31/13 at 10:12pm
post #9948 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 


SPEAKER AMP SPEAKER AMP!

 

Do it! Join us!

Yes! Dooo Eeet DSG! :beerchug:

post #9949 of 19433

how much power into 50 ohms would u say is needed ? cause the first watt amps seem like they don't put out alot, or at least not anything huge over the WA5 or GSX mk2., i don't know how much volume headroom u have on them. but everyone says it works very well with HE-6. 

post #9950 of 19433

With my 70W Pathos Classic One amp, I'm getting enough headroom at around 50-70% of max volume. For audiophile recordings that inherently have a lower volume than most contemporary pop/rock recordings (which have been subject to the so-called loudness war), I go as high as 80-90% of max volume.

 

I'm not sure if my calcaulation is correct, but doesn't 70W at 8 ohm means 11.2W at 50 ohms for the HE-6?

post #9951 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

how much power into 50 ohms would u say is needed ? cause the first watt amps seem like they don't put out alot, or at least not anything huge over the WA5 or GSX mk2., i don't know how much volume headroom u have on them. but everyone says it works very well with HE-6. 

The 30W Pass will work. Its powerful enough.  I am not sure how much it will put out but someone can do the math. Shoot Steve Eddy a pm he can do that for you. If Jose is saying it works then to works. The WA5 definitely works well and is way more powerful than the GSX I have in the house now. I would read david Mahler review of the he6 and he uses the WA5 on his and also the impression on the philly thread to see what people thought of the WA5 with the HE6. I know Preporman uses a first Watt and  Jose loved the Pass your asking about

post #9952 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

how much power into 50 ohms would u say is needed ? cause the first watt amps seem like they don't put out alot, or at least not anything huge over the WA5 or GSX mk2., i don't know how much volume headroom u have on them. but everyone says it works very well with HE-6. 


Seems like current is what's important. Voltage*current = wattage. Wattage is usually a good indicator of how much current is being put out, but maybe the First Watts have low voltage.

 

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

post #9953 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

With my 70W Pathos Classic One amp, I'm getting enough headroom at around 50-70% of max volume. For audiophile recordings that inherently have a lower volume than most contemporary pop/rock recordings (which have been subject to the so-called loudness war), I go as high as 80-90% of max volume.

 

I'm not sure if my calcaulation is correct, but doesn't 70W at 8 ohm means 11.2W at 50 ohms for the HE-6?

that sounds about right

post #9954 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

how much power into 50 ohms would u say is needed ? cause the first watt amps seem like they don't put out alot, or at least not anything huge over the WA5 or GSX mk2., i don't know how much volume headroom u have on them. but everyone says it works very well with HE-6. 

Well for the standard F5 it's 40v p-p with 10amps of output current. So youre looking at 6w RMS, but that's pure Class A with a ton of output current. That's where the headroom is coming from, not faking it with excessive gain like most headphone amps do.

post #9955 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

48v p-p puts it at 7.2w RMS. So a conservative 6 before the amp starts crying uncle at 7.2 is a good figure. I would also expect a lot of distortion and an upward tilt in frequency response, which hints at what Dubstep Girl says in my second reply. I was peaking just under 10w when I was jamming out to a McIntosh amp. How accurate are their meters? I don't know.

 

I think most of us find the HE-6 bright off an amp that struggles with them, so that would be a pretty tell-tale sign. I know you know your stuff too since you own so many great cans, so no doubt there. Speaker amps are the best way to go IMO.

There is no bright sound with the WA5 and it definitely don't struggle with them Check out the impression on the philly meet page and David Mahler review and people who actually use the amp. They are exceptional on my WA5 and it is a speaker amp and its going through the XLR jack not the headphone side. So it balanced in.


Edited by Frank I - 10/31/13 at 10:24pm
post #9956 of 19433

Its much better than the GSX for the he6 and I love the GSX with all my other headphones . Its a great amp no doubt but DG you know it aint max for the he6 which most amps are not but you need to hear one at a meet or find someone who has a WA5 to take a listen with the headphone. it don't clip on my Coopland album which blew the taboo MK11 resistors.


Edited by Frank I - 11/1/13 at 11:46am
post #9957 of 19433

The 4-pin XLR output of the WA5 was originally designed to drive the K1000 (which is even less efficient than the HE-6), so it should have no problem handling the HE-6 in terms of sheer power. David Solomon also seems to enjoy the HE-6 with the WA5. However, Mike Ting of Headfonia apparently found it disappointing.

 

Since the WA5 comes with the mighty 4-pin XLR output, I decided to plug in the Hifiman HE-6 headphone to it, only to find myself with this huge “Whaattttt? Where did that $6,000 go?”

http://www.headfonia.com/true-beauty-wooaudio-wa5-headphone-amplifier/

post #9958 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Well for the standard F5 it's 40v p-p with 10amps of output current. So youre looking at 6w RMS, but that's pure Class A with a ton of output current. That's where the headroom is coming from, not faking it with excessive gain like most headphone amps do.

 

what do u think about the first watt f3? or the j2?

post #9959 of 19433

User Elysian has a J2 and a Placette Active as the preamp.  He stops by from time to time, Justin from Head amp pointed him in the First Watt direction a few years back.  From that, I went in that direction as well.  I have sense sold my GS-X mk2.  My first Watt amp is a "noticeably" much better fit for the HE-6.

 

Be carful not to confuse gain with power \ current.  From my understanding you can have a high gain amp that does not put out a lot of power (something like that).  It gives you that impression because it can get your headphones to sound loud.  Loudness is not necessarily what your looking for.  However, how it sound at those loud levels is key.  Also the ability to sound good at low listening levels is key as well.

post #9960 of 19433
As I have three set ups that I think work well.
First is the WA5. Works great.
Second is the audio gd ref 10.32. It is a bal dac/preamp/amp all solid state. This works great too I had kingwa show me how to increase gain a little to play loud enough at low vol recordings.

But what I like best is the audio Gd M7 dac with the M8 preamp/ amp. It is solid state and not a speaker amp. To me the he6 , hd800 and the stax when driven well useing the same dac are within 10% of each other for different strengths. . DB try amps do not buy if possible all this is just opinions. And you are a tube roller even more listen first . You can use recommendations but you must like it.. We all hear a little different and our tastes make it even more confusing. I bought three amps for the hd800 based on recommendations. No more. Hope this helps you.

I am going to the ny meet and I am bringing the audio gd pair just for people to listen and I want there opinions

Good luck.

Al D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone