or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 653

post #9781 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunny7 View Post
 

 

I would never use solid core for a headphone cable. 

The solid core is better than the twisted wire in every situation.

post #9782 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OverDrive] View Post
 

The solid core is better than the twisted wire in every situation.

 

SQ wise yes.  Flexibility wise i would would say not.

post #9783 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

SQ wise yes.  Flexibility wise i would would say not.

It is true, you just do not flex.

 

This is my cable solid core for the HE500 (Hard Wire). 7N Cryo - 20.8 AWG

 

post #9784 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OverDrive] View Post
 

The solid core is better than the twisted wire in every situation.

I agree

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

SQ wise yes.  Flexibility wise i would would say not.

Yeah that's the predicament I'm in. You can still make it flexible, the problem is finding the right materials to allow for it. My best idea so far is to make it 4 conductor cable, but braid in two strings of empty teflon per side, totalling 8 strands. That should be adequate for reinforcement in a household scenario. Then I'm thinking cotton braid tubing per side, or a thickish clear PVC tubing around the whole thing. My only question with the PVC tubing is, are there any microphonics while using it?

 

I like the idea of clear PVC tubing, it would look like a nice IV of silver veins feeding the HE-6 its magic cocktail :)


Edited by brunk - 10/20/13 at 7:47am
post #9785 of 19661
If you put a naked copper conductor in a thin tube, be prepared for fast oxidation. Silver will get black too.
post #9786 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

If you put a naked copper conductor in a thin tube, be prepared for fast oxidation. Silver will get black too.

The wires are already in teflon tubing, so that's not a worry of mine.

post #9787 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

I agree

Yeah that's the predicament I'm in. You can still make it flexible, the problem is finding the right materials to allow for it. My best idea so far is to make it 4 conductor cable, but braid in two strings of empty teflon per side, totalling 8 strands. That should be adequate for reinforcement in a household scenario. Then I'm thinking cotton braid tubing per side, or a thickish clear PVC tubing around the whole thing. My only question with the PVC tubing is, are there any microphonics while using it?

I like the idea of clear PVC tubing, it would look like a nice IV of silver veins feeding the HE-6 its magic cocktail smily_headphones1.gif
I'm waiting to hear your comments if you do employ the solid core silver. Christmas is coming up and that's my wish list. New wiring throughout and the silver I'm listening to now (balanced ICs) I am enjoying.
post #9788 of 19661
For those who know and have had both, when driven by a vintage amp, either from headphone out or speaker taps, what percentage would you say the HE-6 is better than the HE-500? I'm considering one or the other and could save a lot staying with the 500.
post #9789 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by [OverDrive] View Post
 
 

It is true, you just do not flex.

 

This is my cable solid core for the HE500 (Hard Wire). 7N Cryo - 20.8 AWG

 

 

Nice snake! A quick glance at your username and I am not surprised. :normal_smile :

post #9790 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

For those who know and have had both, when driven by a vintage amp, either from headphone out or speaker taps, what percentage would you say the HE-6 is better than the HE-500? I'm considering one or the other and could save a lot staying with the 500.
 

 

13.57%  ???? :veryevil:

post #9791 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

For those who know and have had both, when driven by a vintage amp, either from headphone out or speaker taps, what percentage would you say the HE-6 is better than the HE-500? I'm considering one or the other and could save a lot staying with the 500.

The % difference and $ difference between the two is too subjective to even guess at the matter, especially without knowing what particular amps you have in mind. There is one fact though, the HE-6 scales much, much higher than the HE-500 does. I would encourage you to rent one from the headphone lending library and take it to your nearest HiFi shop for half a day with your favorite tunes, sleep on it and make your decision from there.


Edited by brunk - 10/20/13 at 11:43am
post #9792 of 19661

i have problems with solid core.

very strange situation.

my he-500 sounds good with my beta and with the hifiman occ cable(no noise at all)

with the norseaudio norn that is litz i hear, without music, noises

post #9793 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post
 

i have problems with solid core.

very strange situation.

my he-500 sounds good with my beta and with the hifiman occ cable(no noise at all)

with the norseaudio norn that is litz i hear, without music, noises

Well, with all due respect, that has nothing to do with solid core and everything to do with the materials used to wrap it.

post #9794 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Well, with all due respect, that has nothing to do with solid core and everything to do with the materials used to wrap it.

Really?then it is even more strange because the norn is up-occ copper and the hifiman cable is  up-occ copper too

i don´t understand anything but i know that is the cable because when i put the norn in my jvc dx-1000 i had the same problem.

from my memory, i had the same problem with the stock cable of the grado ps-1000

post #9795 of 19661
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post
 

Really?then it is even more strange because the norn is up-occ copper and the hifiman cable is  up-occ copper too

i don´t understand anything but i know that is the cable because when i put the norn in my jvc dx-1000 i had the same problem.

from my memory, i had the same problem with the stock cable of the grado ps-1000

Yes that correct. Since you have experienced this issue before with the same cable, and a grado cable, the term for is "microphonics"

 

I can't seem to find a good video of cable microphonics, but here is a good one of tube microphonics which is similar. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAF42EwLzks

 

Essentially, when you rub the cable against something and it makes a sound, it is acting as a microphone which is really bad. Hence the term, microphonics.


Edited by brunk - 10/20/13 at 12:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone