or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 651

post #9751 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

The HE-500s are a very good headphone, I like them a lot as well.  Not more that the HE-5LEs though, and certainly not more that the HE-6.  However, if I were to own two, it would the the HE-500 and the HE-6 or the HE-500 and the HE-5LEs.  The HE-500 have a different voicing compared to the other two.  The draw back to the HE-500 IMO is it does not scale.  Where the other two gets better and better as the quality and power of the amp increases.

i agree partially.

the he-6 is the best without any doubts.

after i put on the same plane the he-500 and the he-5LE.

two diferente sound signatures for different flawours.

The he-5Le is like a baby he-6; the he-500 is more focused on the low and mid frquencies.

i agree about your words but i disagree about the he-500 because, IMHO, the he-500 improves with an improvement of the system.

personally i prefere the he-500 compared to the he-5le

post #9752 of 19433

i liked HE-5LE, but the HE-6 is definitely a step up. and the HE-500 is about the same as HE-5LE but a different smoother kinda sound.

post #9753 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by alota View Post
 

i agree partially.

the he-6 is the best without any doubts.

after i put on the same plane the he-500 and the he-5LE.

two diferente sound signatures for different flawours.

The he-5Le is like a baby he-6; the he-500 is more focused on the low and mid frquencies.

i agree about your words but i disagree about the he-500 because, IMHO, the he-500 improves with an improvement of the system.

personally i prefere the he-500 compared to the he-5le

 

Aldo,

 

You and I have / had a balanced B22.  The HE-500s sound great on it - correct?  I then went "up" to the GS-X mk2.  The HE-500s sound the same on both systems.  Where the HE-6 and the HE-5LE scaled and did sound better.  I can see if we started from entry level amps - then yes you are correct.  But starting from say a B22 then going up from there the HE-500s had little improvement - for me anyway.

 

However, I see what you are saying..


Edited by preproman - 10/19/13 at 8:50am
post #9754 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

i liked HE-5LE, but the HE-6 is definitely a step up. and the HE-500 is about the same as HE-5LE but a different smoother kinda sound.

 

Have you heard the 5LE on your GS-X mk2?  It gets better.

post #9755 of 19433
Objective drawback is a point of view and not based on objective dictate. It's an issue if you own a headphone amp trying to justify not buying a speaker amp. A lot of us have speaker amps and don't want to drop the $ on a headphone amp powerful enough to drive them because you have to get into $thousands and you can get just as good performance on a speaker amp in the $hundreds. So the view is not objective but subjective. Objective review has shown headphone amps to be the weak link between comparing the HE-6 and the HE-500. Properly fitted with sufficient power, the HE-6 is better in every comparison and material hasn't a thing to do with it. There are many that have spent a lot of time with both HE, including quality headphone amps well above the typical headphone amp capability. If you only want a mini amp because of footprint or because that's what you have and don't want to spend for something else, that's fine. But it's important to note that caveat when you state your opinion and not make it an objective excuse.
post #9756 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

Have you heard the 5LE on your GS-X mk2?  It gets better.

 

i wish.

 

i heard on WA6-SE when someone lent it to me, it sounded fine to me but they didn't like it on WA6-SE, they thought it was too loose in the bass.

 

it was basically a HE-500 but with a different bass presentation, a little faster and punchier, mids where recessed but less colored sounding, like less smooth and whatnot. the highs where kinda dry but more extended than HE-500. i think a better amp would of improved the midrange and made the sound more coherent, which was my major problem with them. the buzzy sounding treble wasn't really a problem, just the mids / bass/ highs didnt integrate well enough, the coherency wasn't great.

 

still, they sounded similar to HE-500, quite different in many ways, and i kinda preferred HE-5LE somewhat, but also too close to make owning both worth it.

 

im sure with GS-X the HE-5LE might of been alot better. though not as good as HE-6 and not the same scalability. i have yet to hear the HE-6 on a better amp. to me, they sound fantastic but not necessarily better than any of my headphones, i have yet to hear the "as close as it gets to stax-009 performance"

post #9757 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

i wish.

 

i heard on WA6-SE when someone lent it to me, it sounded fine to me but they didn't like it on WA6-SE, they thought it was too loose in the bass.

 

it was basically a HE-500 but with a different bass presentation, a little faster and punchier, mids where recessed but less colored sounding, like less smooth and whatnot. the highs where kinda dry but more extended than HE-500. i think a better amp would of improved the midrange and made the sound more coherent, which was my major problem with them. the buzzy sounding treble wasn't really a problem, just the mids / bass/ highs didnt integrate well enough, the coherency wasn't great.

 

still, they sounded similar to HE-500, quite different in many ways, and i kinda preferred HE-5LE somewhat, but also too close to make owning both worth it.

 

im sure with GS-X the HE-5LE might of been alot better. though not as good as HE-6 and not the same scalability. i have yet to hear the HE-6 on a better amp. to me, they sound fantastic but not necessarily better than any of my headphones, i have yet to hear the "as close as it gets to stax-009 performance"

 

That's because that statement is always accompanied with a speaker amp pairing.

post #9758 of 19433

The insensitivity is certainly a huge drawback for a lot of Head-fiers. Simply put, the HE-6 doesn't sell remotely close to the numbers the other flagships do, and the primary reason is the amping requirements-real or imagined. That said, I want to try the HE-6 again after I have both the Levi and Rag in house to see how they do with it. Still curious about Hifiman's next flagship too.

 

-Daniel

post #9759 of 19433

It's all good.  Just make us a very small and tight niche group.

post #9760 of 19433

I spent some time listening to the GSX  and liked what I heard. I will be using the hE6 on it next weekend in Philly meet and have it on my review schedule and I am very excited to be doing  a review with it. I will also say I am working on the Conductor SL review now and the Conductor SL drives the hE6 easily and it sounds pretty good . I will be reporting more as I listen more to the Condusctor SL in the upcoming weeks. That review will appear in part Time Audiophile. I also have the other DAC besides the Sabre to pop in. Burson sent me both dac's to compare and write about.  The  HE6 has more amp choices now besides speaker amps.

 

 

The Oppo Balanced amplifier is an all discrete design and looks very promising and know Oppo it will be reasonable and has the Sabrer Dac inside of the unit as well and hopefully will drive the HE6. I hope to get one of those units.  Lots of great products on the horizon. 


Edited by Frank I - 10/19/13 at 8:59am
post #9761 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Objective drawback is a point of view and not based on objective dictate. It's an issue if you own a headphone amp trying to justify not buying a speaker amp. A lot of us have speaker amps and don't want to drop the $ on a headphone amp powerful enough to drive them because you have to get into $thousands and you can get just as good performance on a speaker amp in the $hundreds. So the view is not objective but subjective. Objective review has shown headphone amps to be the weak link between comparing the HE-6 and the HE-500. Properly fitted with sufficient power, the HE-6 is better in every comparison and material hasn't a thing to do with it. There are many that have spent a lot of time with both HE, including quality headphone amps well above the typical headphone amp capability. If you only want a mini amp because of footprint or because that's what you have and don't want to spend for something else, that's fine. But it's important to note that caveat when you state your opinion and not make it an objective excuse.

 

+1 Well said HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

It's all good.  Just make us a very small and tight niche group.

The "HE"luminati

 

I forget, but doesn't the HE series stand for high efficiency? lol

post #9762 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

+1 Well said HC

The "HE"luminati

 

I forget, but doesn't the HE series stand for high efficiency? lol

I thought it stood for High End :blink:

post #9763 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

It's all good.  Just make us a very small and tight niche group.

 

Did they put you in the funny white jackets too? :rolleyes:

post #9764 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

That's because that statement is always accompanied with a speaker amp pairing.

 

i need to hear the HE-6 on a speaker amp someday then. and then how do u know what kind of speaker amp to chooose, like which ones sound better on them? like cause theres tons of them available and all sorts of prices, seems like u can almost try anything.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 10/19/13 at 9:22am
post #9765 of 19433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

Did they put you in the funny white jackets too? :rolleyes:

 

Yup and we got a bonus.  Padded rooms to boot.:cool: 


Edited by preproman - 10/19/13 at 9:33am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone