or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 649

post #9721 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

I'm not a chemist, but that seems correct because that's the only thing gold is better than other cheaper metals at. I'm not sure why the HE6 is the only planar to use gold though, that's the real question. 

Perhaps it's low sensitivity is due to the gold trace.

I'm not sure any other manufacturers want to go the HE-6 route in that regards...

 

Yea the gold was used because it can be thinner than any other metal. The downside is the extra force required to move it. 

post #9722 of 19662

Some of us have the iron to move the gold, so... where's that playlist! :evil:

post #9723 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post


I had some channel imbalance for awhile. Initially I thought it was from oxidized cables, but after I swapped cables it remained. So I took the driver out of the housing to check. I realize the foam under the earpads had started to break apart and seemed to have physically hindered the driver a bit. I used to canned air to blow at the membrane and realized HOLY CRAP it's a whole sheet!!! I had thought it was just trace amounts of gold laid out in a pattern, but examining the cut-away from the driver, it's obvious that 2 magnets sandwich this beautiful gold foil.

 

 

I would never dare to unscrew the screws that hold the driver securely down. Tyll mentioned it would permanently break the driver as the magnets are too strong to be realigned after.

Anyway, it makes perfect sense why the HE-6 requires such a powerful amp since gold is such a dense metal. It would be difficult for the magnets to "pull/push" the membrane quickly. At least I think that's how an ortho works.

 

 

Whew! Glad you emerged from the operation with the patient still thriving...

post #9724 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
I actually hope the next flagship is less sensitive so we require even more powerful amps. Even higher potential!

 

+1 Yes 100%

post #9725 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

 

Whew! Glad you emerged from the operation with the patient still thriving...


It's really quite easy. Only 4 screws hold the driver to the cups. One of my cups had hot glue holding the driver down too so I couldn't examine, but that one didn't have the imbalance.

post #9726 of 19662

:thumb: Perhaps, taking me even less time to commit. 

post #9727 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

+1 Yes 100%

This just reeks of masochism....  Where's the evidence that shows heavier mass would in practice translate to higher sound quality?  An Osmium foil might be the solution ;-) (density of 22.59 vs 19.3 g/cm3 for gold).  Oh, wait, Osmium's toxic....

post #9728 of 19662
The pair I blew I took apart and I can confirm Tyll's comments about the magnets being too strong to re-align. NFW.

As for an attempt to buy a futureproof headphone, yeah, good luck with that. The HE-90 hasn't been upgraded in like 20 years, the R-10s about as long so you could go there. The 800s have been out for a while, the 009s a couple years. The LCDs come out with a new model every other year so that's out. The Abyss is the newest so I guess you'd have to go there at $5+k. As for needing thousands for an amp and DAC, nonsense. I ran the 6s on a NOS tube DAC and a pair of mono amps that can be bought on Agon for under $750 total and didn't sound half bad. Now if I was to have a no limit budget, then maybe an AN 5 spinner and a pair of Gaku or a DCS stack but I'm not obsessive enough to drop that kind of coin. In the beer league, I'd like to maybe do a Simaudio Moon Evo I600 or ANK HE-6 with my current DAC but that's still a wishful goal. The HE-6 performs with the best of them for a lot less than those other headphones and economic speaker amps help that.
Edited by Happy Camper - 10/18/13 at 6:24pm
post #9729 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

This just reeks of masochism....  Where's the evidence that shows heavier mass would in practice translate to higher sound quality?  An Osmium foil might be the solution ;-) (density of 22.59 vs 19.3 g/cm3 for gold).  Oh, wait, Osmium's toxic....

I think Preproman and Ohhgourami are referring to amp potential and the joy ride along with it. No one said a "heavier mass" would translate to higher sound quality, but i did read it as hoping it would be less sensitive. Where did you get that from this quote? :confused:

 

Ohhgourami- "I actually hope the next flagship is less sensitive so we require even more powerful amps. Even higher potential!"

Preproman- "+1 Yes 100%"

post #9730 of 19662
OT but I think we got this Brunk.
post #9731 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

I think Preproman and Ohhgourami are referring to amp potential and the joy ride along with it. No one said a "heavier mass" would translate to higher sound quality, but i did read it as hoping it would be less sensitive. Where did you get that from this quote? :confused:

 

Ohhgourami- "I actually hope the next flagship is less sensitive so we require even more powerful amps. Even higher potential!"

Preproman- "+1 Yes 100%"

Not that it matters a lot as my remark was more tongue in cheek than anything else but from Ohhrougami's post:

 

'Anyway, it makes perfect sense why the HE-6 requires such a powerful amp since gold is such a dense metal. It would be difficult for the magnets to "pull/push" the membrane quickly. At least I think that's how an ortho works.'.  

 

Followed by the remark hoping for less sensitivity and hence even more strenuous amping requirements.  But perhaps I misinterpret.  Don't understand why one would actually want a headphone that requires even more power to be driven correctly (makes me think of people actually wanting to buy a gas-guzzler) but that's just me.  Anyway, wouldn't suit me, I like to have my setup on a desk and don't want to fiddle around between my DAC/headphone amp and a speaker amp, just too much hassle.

post #9732 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

Not that it matters a lot as my remark was more tongue in cheek than anything else but from Ohhrougami's post:

 

'Anyway, it makes perfect sense why the HE-6 requires such a powerful amp since gold is such a dense metal. It would be difficult for the magnets to "pull/push" the membrane quickly. At least I think that's how an ortho works.'.  

 

Followed by the remark hoping for less sensitivity and hence even more strenuous amping requirements.  But perhaps I misinterpret.  Don't understand why one would actually want a headphone that requires even more power to be driven correctly (makes me think of people actually wanting to buy a gas-guzzler) but that's just me.  Anyway, wouldn't suit me, I like to have my setup on a desk and don't want to fiddle around between my DAC/headphone amp and a speaker amp, just too much hassle.


I never said to use a more dense metal as I'm not sure how well other metals would work. If you want very dense, lead or uranium would probably be good choices, but I don't know how flexible a thin sheet would be. There could other possible negatives too :tongue_smile:

 

I remember reading something Steve Eddy posted about how less efficient drivers tend to sound better easier. I want a less sensitive can if it could be even better sounding since a few of us already have the gear for it. I know that many like to pick their headphones around their DAC and amp, but as I realized the HE-6 is the only headphone I want to own I build everything around it. A few others have also focused all their gear around the HE-6 and they have been rewarded back.

post #9733 of 19662

That's how home audio use to be back in the day. Looking at old copies of Stereophile and other zines, they encouraged the readers to buy the best possible speakers they could afford. And then add the other pieces of gear as needed. 

 

I too, would love to see an unexpected and rewarding pay-off from low sensitivity cans in the next round from HiFiMan...


Edited by Silent One - 10/18/13 at 8:14pm
post #9734 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

That's how home audio use to be back in the day. Looking at old copies of Stereophile and other zines, they encouraged the readers to buy the best possible speakers they could afford. And then add the other pieces of gear as needed. 

 

I too, would love to see an unexpected and rewarding pay-off from low sensitivity cans in the next round from HiFiMan...

 

Yup, you build your system around your speakers or headphones. I did that when I had ribbon speakers.

post #9735 of 19662
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

 

Yup, you build your system around your speakers or headphones. I did that when I had ribbon speakers.

 

I'm currently filled with speaker envy. But, it was either the HE-6 and play them anywhere in the home, or speakers and having to constantly be respectful of other's presence. And their TV habits. I'd even take a nice pair of speakers without room treatment, now that's sayin' somethin'! :D

 

It's just so much nicer to be able to read, write, EAT/DRINK :normal_smile : and make a few other lifestyle moves without always sittin' underneath the cans. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone