Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 639

post #9571 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc11028 View Post
 

the adapter i got from Blue Circle is a little cleaner i think that the the HE adapter, plus you can switch around the series resistors.  It costs more though.

 

You sent me in the right direction the first time (thanks). I contacted the cat twice and have yet to hear from him... minutes-hours-days-weeks are passing by. I need to fire up my completed rig by Mid-October. Or my listening room will forever be :eek: silenced!

 

If I could just hear back from him, I'll cancel/return the HE-Adapter unopened. 

 

 

Update.:  In fact, if I don't hear back from HiFiMan by sunrise, I may politely ask them to send a "Call Tag" to retrieve their property. And issue me a refund. I really don't like the way this went down. Mistakes happen but the whole cover-up and skirting responsibility doesn't sit well with me. 


Edited by Silent One - 10/4/13 at 5:25pm
post #9572 of 13993

Has anyone tried the HE-6 using the Precision 1?

post #9573 of 13993

The HE-Adapter finally arrived today 4 days late! My first tap to the rear of the Sansui came and went in a most pedestrian manner. While there were a couple of positives, it quickly giveth and taketh something in return!

 

Will shine the light on it after I have a chance to hear the pigtails unmolested and then will compare the three methods - HPO; Adapter; Pigtails. At this writing, however, one thing is clear! This box is getting "Hot-Rodded!!!"

post #9574 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

The HE-Adapter finally arrived today 4 days late! My first tap to the rear of the Sansui came and went in a most pedestrian manner. While there were a couple of positives, it quickly giveth and taketh something in return!

 

Will shine the light on it after I have a chance to hear the pigtails unmolested and then will compare the three methods - HPO; Adapter; Pigtails. At this writing, however, one thing is clear! This box is getting "Hot-Rodded!!!"

 

:popcorn:

post #9575 of 13993

I just have a feeling replacing the current resistors with those of higher quality may pay off. No guarantee, but a pursuit I'll gladly accept!

post #9576 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

I just have a feeling replacing the current resistors with those of higher quality may pay off. No guarantee, but a pursuit I'll gladly accept!

 DO IT! Get wirewound for least noise.

post #9577 of 13993
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

 

 DO IT! Get wirewound for least noise.

 

Will brands state whether it's wirewound or not? Also, I'm without soldering iron and tools. Any of you locals wanna get paid?! :normal_smile :
 

post #9578 of 13993

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the HE-6 as my first true summit-fi headphone; however, I know I lack the amp to power them. I looked over this thread and the HE-6 amp thread and wanted opinions on what everyone thinks is the cheapest amp that can power these cans up to at least 90% of their potential. If I buy these babies, I wouldn't have the cash to splurge on another 1k+ amp immediately so is there even anything under 1k that most people believe can power these respectably? I would like to buy these now and get a decent amp with it, then in about 6-12 months down the line prepare to purchase a quality amp (1k-5k in price) and hopefully end game myself by that point. Thanks in advance for your input. The HE-6 seems to have slightly more logistics in sounding good than other summit-fi cans so I feel like a noob trying to make a decent sounding rig for them. 

post #9579 of 13993
You're looking for the emotiva a-100 mini-x. ~$200 speaker amplifier that drives them absolutely fine. That, or a cheap tripath amplifier like the dta-100 will do the trick as well. I was looking for the same sort of lifehack when I was in the process of buying them, and these two seemed to be the most popular cheap amplifiers. You will need an xlr into speaker tap input cable.
Edited by vaed - 10/6/13 at 3:18pm
post #9580 of 13993
I tried a Hifimediy T1 headphone edition + Connex 300R SMPS which are both well regarded in the tripath family and it was clearly not that great compared to a 5LE + SA-31 which comes for less money.

Never tried the Emotiva.
post #9581 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

You're looking for the emotiva a-100 mini-x. ~$200 speaker amplifier that drives them absolutely fine. That, or a cheap tripath amplifier like the dta-100 will do the trick as well. I was looking for the same sort of lifehack when I was in the process of buying them, and these two seemed to be the most popular cheap amplifiers. You will need an xlr into speaker tap input cable.

 

+1 For the Emotiva. If you want to save even more cash, just snip off the TRS connector on the pigtail adapter instead of buying a seperate adapter

post #9582 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post

You're looking for the emotiva a-100 mini-x. ~$200 speaker amplifier that drives them absolutely fine. That, or a cheap tripath amplifier like the dta-100 will do the trick as well. I was looking for the same sort of lifehack when I was in the process of buying them, and these two seemed to be the most popular cheap amplifiers. You will need an xlr into speaker tap input cable.

 

Thanks for the speedy reply! Is this the DTA-100 you're speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK

 

That is way more affordable than I thought if it is. Do these things really drive the HE-6 to near optimum performance? If so, how come there's so much talk about it being a finicky headphone if a sub $100 amp can get you to its sweet spot so well?

The emotiva also looks really nice; however, unless these two amps can be used reliably with other headphones to make them sound great (seeing as how they are speaker amps, I don't think so), I would probably opt for the cheaper one unless thee's a drastic noticeable difference between the two. 

 

 

post #9583 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the HE-6 as my first true summit-fi headphone; however, I know I lack the amp to power them. I looked over this thread and the HE-6 amp thread and wanted opinions on what everyone thinks is the cheapest amp that can power these cans up to at least 90% of their potential. If I buy these babies, I wouldn't have the cash to splurge on another 1k+ amp immediately so is there even anything under 1k that most people believe can power these respectably? I would like to buy these now and get a decent amp with it, then in about 6-12 months down the line prepare to purchase a quality amp (1k-5k in price) and hopefully end game myself by that point. Thanks in advance for your input. The HE-6 seems to have slightly more logistics in sounding good than other summit-fi cans so I feel like a noob trying to make a decent sounding rig for them. 

Alesis RA150

post #9584 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

 

Thanks for the speedy reply! Is this the DTA-100 you're speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK

 

That is way more affordable than I thought if it is. Do these things really drive the HE-6 to near optimum performance? If so, how come there's so much talk about it being a finicky headphone if a sub $100 amp can get you to its sweet spot so well?

The emotiva also looks really nice; however, unless these two amps can be used reliably with other headphones to make them sound great (seeing as how they are speaker amps, I don't think so), I would probably opt for the cheaper one unless thee's a drastic noticeable difference between the two. 

 

 

 

I'm not sure that I'm qualified to say whether it drives them to "optimum performance". I haven't been exposed to many amplifiers with the HE-6; all I know is that there are no abnormalities in sound at all with either of the amplifiers, and I feel that they perform well in general.

 

As for whether they power other headphones, the Mini-x is oft used to power orthodynamics; there's quite a following for the little fella. Pretty popular with the LCD-2 and the HE-500 (and no doubt the rest of the hifiman line).

 

The annoying part of the DTA-100 is that their volume control is step-wise, meaning that it could jump in volume none-too-subtly. The Emotiva is honestly an easy safe bet.


Edited by vaed - 10/6/13 at 4:47pm
post #9585 of 13993
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

 

Thanks for the speedy reply! Is this the DTA-100 you're speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK

 

That is way more affordable than I thought if it is. Do these things really drive the HE-6 to near optimum performance? If so, how come there's so much talk about it being a finicky headphone if a sub $100 amp can get you to its sweet spot so well?

The emotiva also looks really nice; however, unless these two amps can be used reliably with other headphones to make them sound great (seeing as how they are speaker amps, I don't think so), I would probably opt for the cheaper one unless thee's a drastic noticeable difference between the two. 

 

 

 

That amp, DTA-100A, works with the HE-6. I still have mine, a DTA-100.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone