Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 624

post #9346 of 14883

wow these have the best bass i have ever heard. its like beyerdynamic t1 bass mixed with planar bass, the decay and impact is just exactly what i'm looking for!!!

post #9347 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

wow these have the best bass i have ever heard. its like beyerdynamic t1 bass mixed with planar bass, the decay and impact is just exactly what i'm looking for!!!

 

How bout soundstaging?

post #9348 of 14883

better than HE-500, not amazing or anythiing, but decent enough, haven't listened enough to say. theres alot of depth to it, that i can see right away.

post #9349 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

wow these have the best bass i have ever heard. its like beyerdynamic t1 bass mixed with planar bass, the decay and impact is just exactly what i'm looking for!!!

 

you´ve already your gsx-mkII?

post #9350 of 14883

yes i bought a used one.

post #9351 of 14883

I'm going to say something that would probably get me ran out of the stax thread(although I am a stax lover and owner). After demoing a 009/blue hawaii combo, I can say that I haven't heard none better. But I would put the he6/audio research vsi60 combo I listened to once right there with it. Infact, the overall performance was so close that I would have to listen to both side by side to pick a winner. That's a true testament that the he-6 really has no ceiling imo.

 

One clear advantage the he-6 had was bass. It dug deeper, had more slam, and was just as tight. The 009 had just a little wider sound stage but the depth was about equal along with transparency. The 009/blue hawaii was a little brighter than the he-6/vsi60 combo. The the thing is the he6/vsi60 combo is around the price of the 009 alone.

 

The great thing for me is, I recently purchase a vintage tube receiver(fully restored fisher 500c) that sounds really close to what I remember from the vsi60 paring. The one exception is tonal wise, the 500c doesn't sound like a tube amp at all. It's dead neutral, but it does have all of the other traits associated with high end tube amps such as....holographic imaging, organic mids, and realism. But there was some tube warmth with the vsi60(not a bad thing though imo) For those who don't know about the 500c, it was a direct competitor to the famous mcintosh mc275, and they both retailed for the same price back in the 60s and sonically on the same level.

 

The difference is, fisher basically went belly up, and the mcintosh brand stayed strong which is why a completely restored 500c can be had for around 1000.00 and just a stock mc275 can go for several thousands on ebay.


Edited by moodyrn - 9/14/13 at 8:50am
post #9352 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post
 

I'm going to say something that would probably get me ran out of the stax thread(although I am a stax lover and owner). After demoing a 009/blue hawaii combo, I can say that I haven't heard none better. But I would put the he6/audio research vsi60 combo I listened to once right there with it. Infact, the overall performance was so close that I would have to listen to both side by side to pick a winner. That's a true testament that the he-6 really has no ceiling imo.

 

One clear advantage the he-6 had was bass. It dug deeper, had more slam, and was just as tight. The 009 had just a little wider sound stage but the depth was about equal along with transparency. The 009/blue hawaii was a little brighter than the he-6/vsi60 combo. The the thing is the he6/vsi60 combo is around the price of the 009 alone.

 

The great thing for me is, I recently purchase a vintage tube receiver(fully restored fisher 500c) that sounds really close to what I remember from the vsi60 paring. The one exception is tonal wise, the 500c doesn't sound like a tube amp at all. It's dead neutral, but it does have all of the other traits associated with high end tube amps such as....holographic imaging, organic mids, and realism. But there was some tube warmth with the vsi60(not a bad thing though imo) For those who don't know about the 500c, it was a direct competitor to the famous mcintosh mc275, and they both retailed for the same price back in the 60s and sonically on the same level.

 

The difference is, fisher basically went belly up, and the mcintosh brand stayed strong which is why a completely restored 500c can be had for around 1000.00 and just a stock mc275 can go for several thousands on ebay.

 

 

This is the scary part when dealing with the HE-6.   No Celling :eek:

post #9353 of 14883

Yeah, it can cause you to forever chase amps in order to squeeze every last drop out of them. I've probably owned or audition 20 different amps on them. Most of them were excellent, but each one did give me a nice upgrade in sound. 

 

But I will say this. The amp I would rank last was still good enough for me to be more than happy with them.

 

 

DG congrats on joining the he-6 club, but be careful. I would advise you to not seek out any other amps if you are happy with what you have. I've listened to the gsx mkii/he-6 combo and as good as it is, I've listened to a ton of other amps I like much better than that on the he-6. But like I've said previously, the gsx mkII is probably the closest thing to a one size fits all amp I've ever encountered. It falls a little short of an idea he-6 amp. But the pairing is plenty good enough to beat many other high end headphones out there.


Edited by moodyrn - 9/14/13 at 9:26am
post #9354 of 14883
They taught us speaker amps are an alternative to boutique headphone amps.
post #9355 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

I'm going to say something that would probably get me ran out of the stax thread(although I am a stax lover and owner). After demoing a 009/blue hawaii combo, I can say that I haven't heard none better. But I would put the he6/audio research vsi60 combo I listened to once right there with it. Infact, the overall performance was so close that I would have to listen to both side by side to pick a winner. That's a true testament that the he-6 really has no ceiling imo.

One clear advantage the he-6 had was bass. It dug deeper, had more slam, and was just as tight. The 009 had just a little wider sound stage but the depth was about equal along with transparency. The 009/blue hawaii was a little brighter than the he-6/vsi60 combo. The the thing is the he6/vsi60 combo is around the price of the 009 alone.
Yup. A whole setup for only the cost of the 009 with 99% of the performance.
post #9356 of 14883
Or 105% depending on who you ask.biggrin.gif
post #9357 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Or 105% depending on who you ask.biggrin.gif

 

And lets not forget the (added) body (and soul) the HE-6 provides to the music while compared to the Stax.

post #9358 of 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post


Yup. A whole setup for only the cost of the 009 with 99% of the performance.

 

For me- my HE-6 setup- less than 50 % of the cost of the Stax SR-009 and easily 110%+ in performance.

post #9359 of 14883

So, with the he6/audio research vsi60 combination, safe to assume you are using the speaker outs and the Hifiman adapter?

post #9360 of 14883
Yes, it has no headphone out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone