Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone - Page 604

post #9046 of 15253
Yes, all the while he doesn't realise that his beloved Nikon, Canon etc and their lenses are made in China.
post #9047 of 15253

Ken Rockwell is a bigot.

post #9048 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

You will probably have to shoot him an email. The sound signature of the LCD-3 is so different from the HiFiMan orthos that I would find it a big joke if he think of them as copies.

I dont believe anything that guys say's about anything. He a money grubber.  He always begging for donations. No pride at all.

post #9049 of 15253

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Given how gracious Fang has been to the headphone community (in addition to how talented he is), I found that comment very unworthy.  I wasn't sure if there was some Audeze knockoff that I wasn't aware of, but I was pretty sure he is referring to Hifiman.

 

The only reason I thought it'd be worth bringing up is that he does have a large traffic base and his reviews are often first page search hits.  I would really hate to see that a newbie to the hobby would think that Hifiman is just a 'Chinese copy', and that Audeze is the only good way for an ortho to sound.

post #9050 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Given how gracious Fang has been to the headphone community (in addition to how talented he is), I found that comment very unworthy.  I wasn't sure if there was some Audeze knockoff that I wasn't aware of, but I was pretty sure he is referring to Hifiman.

 

The only reason I thought it'd be worth bringing up is that he does have a large traffic base and his reviews are often first page search hits.  I would really hate to see that a newbie to the hobby would think that Hifiman is just a 'Chinese copy', and that Audeze is the only good way for an ortho to sound.

 

Yeah, I think what HiFiMAN has done, is doing and will do is admirable. 

More importantly, they will be covering the whole spectrum - they have two fantastic IEMs, one entry level dynamic HP, 1 entry level Orthodynamic HP, one Mid-fi level ortho and a high end TOTL Ortho, as well as a rumored TOTL electrostatic HP (which I am really looking forward to... Jade II, anyone?)

What more - they offer high quality amps, portable players, decent cables,...

What Audeze has? 2 stock cables and 2 high/TOTL orthos....

 

There hasnt been one HiFiMAN HP product that came by without praise. Which is quite formidable for the wide selection they offer.

 

Now, I am not criticizing Audeze, I think they are good too, but for someone to call HiFiMAN a Chinese knockoff brand is just flatout uncalled for and ludicrous


Edited by conquerator2 - 6/30/13 at 11:59am
post #9051 of 15253

As an avid photographer I can tell you that Ken Rockwell is a joke among DSLR owners (most of us anyway). At his very best he's a total moron. Now that he has suddenly discovered his talents for reviewing audio gear (suddenly out of no where a couple of years ago with his review of the HD800). He's not worth your time. He peddles useless info and opinions begging for donations and will gladly sell his soul to increase traffic to his site. I like how he suddenly became an expert overnight for audio gear. His explanation was that he comes from a very musical family. His parents met in a choral group and he apparenty created the very first D/A converter back in the 70s but forgot to mention to anyone until now. He has owned a pair of DT880s for about 15 years (driving off an ipod) until his discovery of his audio review talents back in 2010 2011 when his wife gave him a pair of HD800s for Christmas.

 

His reference is the Stax 007 MkII is considered a highly colored/worst Omega Stax has ever created. He has made some crazy outlandish claims (most of which I see he has deleted now off his site... LOL). I don't see how he can A/B between the LCD-3 and the Stax since he returned the 007 MKII back to the reader who leant it to him about two years ago. I guess he's going off audio memory from 2 years ago for this amazing review of the LCD-3. His photos of the LCD-3 are atrocious with color saturation that is totally over the top. Typical Rockwell work.


Edited by M-13 - 6/30/13 at 2:21pm
post #9052 of 15253

Didn't Fang create the HE-5 before the LCD-2 or 1? Or atleast around the same time (like within months of each other?). Who knocked off who?

post #9053 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

As an avid photographer I can tell you that Ken Rockwell is a joke among DSLR owners (most of us anyway). At his very best he's a total moron. Now that he has suddenly discovered his talents for reviewing audio gear (suddenly out of no where a couple of years ago with his review of the HD800). He's not worth your time. He peddles useless info and opinions begging for donations and will gladly sell his soul to increase traffic to his site. I like how he suddenly became an expert overnight for audio gear. His explanation was that he comes from a very musical family. His parents met in a choral group and he apparenty created the very first D/A converter back in the 70s but forgot to mention to anyone until now. He has owned a pair of DT880s for about 15 years (driving off an ipod) until his discovery of his audio review talents back in 2010.

 

Its funny how he mentions that the LCD-3 sounds good straight off his ipod at 1/2 - 2/3 of the volume...

I just dont understand why would anyone 1) say something like that (in a 2 grand, orthodynamic review) 2) listen to it with planar HPs that are huge, open-backed HPs...

His reviews seem less professional than my own, and I am in the audiophile business since June last year...


Edited by conquerator2 - 6/30/13 at 1:27pm
post #9054 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

Its funny how he mentions that the LCD-3 sounds good straight off his ipod at 1/2 - 2/3 of the volume...

I just dont understand why would anyone 1) say something like that (in a 2 grand, orthodynamic review) 2) listen to it with planar HPs that are huge, open-backed HPs...

His reviews seem less professional than my own, and I am in the audiophile business since June last year...

He used to say that the iPod is a professional level product and he doesn't bother using other useless DAPs or sources that amateurs often use. He also used to say he was a rocket scientist who new how to operate guidance systems for the navy. rolleyes.gif (I swear his words not mine)

post #9055 of 15253

As far as I can see by searching here, Audeze LCD-1 came out in the middle of 2009, which is the same time when HiFiMan introduced their first ortho's.

post #9056 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post

As far as I can see by searching here, Audeze LCD-1 came out in the middle of 2009, which is the same time when HiFiMan introduced their first ortho's.

So it's just coincidence that two neo-ortho companies hit the audiophile market at the same time? Pretty cool. It's like a fairy tale rivalry.

post #9057 of 15253

It could have been worst, I'm glad he didn't mention Hifiman.

post #9058 of 15253
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

It could have been worst, I'm glad he didn't mention Hifiman.

Yeah. Except I can't think of any other Chinese orthodynamic manufacturer he could have been referring to... Other than that, nope he didn't.

But I'd bet it was meant as a HFM reference, which just doesn't hold any ground or a pint of truth at all.

 

I am also confident he never heard any of their products, otherwise he wouldn't have said that.

 

An arrogant schmuck that guy. Ugh... Can't stand people calling names without any sign to prove it.

post #9059 of 15253

So... I did some snooping around it looks like the HE-5 did pre-date the Audeze LCD-2.

 

The very first post of the old LCD-2 mentions the HE-5 and how the LCD-2 hasn't been released yet and he's hoping someone will compare them to the HE-5.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

 

Not sure if the HE-5 pre-dates the LCD-1, but it'll be close and the LCD-1 was a very limited run, more of a proof of concept I believe...

 

Yup, definitely the HE-5 was on sale and being delivered before the LCD-2:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/449090/hifiman-he-5-orthodynamic-headphones


Edited by M-13 - 6/30/13 at 3:50pm
post #9060 of 15253

Pretty sure it was LCD1 then HE5 then LCD2 then HE6.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone